Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
design measurements #24681 10/30/10 08:19 PM
S
subway Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Looking to take my "napkin" sketches to the next level. I have read conflicting views on how to dimension timber frame plans. Dimensioning to the center point of the columns makes the most sense, but it results in all other measurements ending in fractions. (no nice 10ft x 12ft rooms when dimensioning to column centers...)

What is the accepted standard? (if there is such a thing?) What will be less confusing to contractors, etc?
Thank you.

Re: design measurements #24682 10/30/10 09:26 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Are you dimensions plans for shop drawings or house and with rooms / etc.?

If shop drawings - dimension to the reference faces of specific timbers / bents. If house plans - dimension to the primary face - if you need a specific dimension in a room (staircase, kitten, bath, etc.) those numbers should drive your plans.

The only time I tend to dimension centerlines is on post locations plans - (and these usually reference back to a primary reference face on a timber) and common pieces when their position marked as centered is not critical.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: design measurements [Re: subway] #24704 11/03/10 01:53 PM
studio Offline
Are you dimensioning the frame alone or the floor plan as a whole? If you are dimensioning the a complete floor plan, I would probably approach it differently than if you are dimensioning the timber frame alone. The drawings are there to relay information, and who the information is for can impact how the information is presents. As they say, know your audience. Either way, consider the modules of the other materials being used. Typically the timber frame is custom cut, so I try to use dimensions that are most efficient with standard sizes of other materials (nearest 8" for concrete block foundation, typical framing spacing, typical SIPs widths, etc.). For me, the written dimensions is not the key, the key how efficient (or inefficient) that size is for the materials being used. I have also found that different contractors like to see the dimensions show different ways. There is no one set "standard", but there are a some ways that are more common than others. Talk to contractors in the area of your project. My experience has been they are usually willing to tell you the things that make there life difficult or what would make drawings easier to build from.

Steve Tracy
Minneapolis Minnesota
www.bigrivertimberworks.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users