Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hollander House [Re: daiku] #24909 12/21/10 02:37 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, we actually cut our rafters like that all the time when we are square ruling; it was just a time saver on this particular job to cut them the way we did them here. One extra cut, when you have 52 jack rafters adds up to a bunch of time, you know? Also, especially with the tapered octagon bastard valleys, the plumb cut is no more difficult than the square cut, but only if you are using the Fein tool.

I actually discussed the wedging action with the engineer and he kind of laughed and said that was really nothing to worry about, especially since we are screwing 10" panels over the entire structure.

We were just discussing in the shop that, for the common jack's, we probably will square the nose since the valley square cut on a rectilinear timber is easier to cut than the pointed version.

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Become a fan of OTB Designworks on Facebook, we'd love to have you
Re: Hollander House [Re: Chuck Gailey] #24910 12/21/10 03:55 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Chuck Gailey
One extra cut, when you have 52 jack rafters adds up to a bunch of time, you know?

Says the man who designed a house with tapered octagon bastard valleys and reciprocating floor systems.

wink

I'd think the housing would be harder to undercut than nipping off the jacks, regardless of what shape / size the valleys are. This Fein tool must be a miracle worker? I've looked around for them on the web - but I have no idea which tool you are using. The reciprocating cutting thing? Can you post some photos of it in use? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cool project, regardless of personal joinery decisions.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Hollander House [Re: bmike] #24915 12/21/10 08:40 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Haha, you got me on that one. Mike.

Robbing from the left hand to feed the right, you know?

Yes, I am referring to the Fein oscillating cutter; it makes cutting peculiar angles a breeze. It lets you get into funky corners and cut very precisely without a lot of chisel work.

I absolutely love mine and I will shoot some video next time we are using one.

I am attaching a short animation of the bastard jacks and purlins and you will be able to see a bit more clearly why a squared off nose doesn't really work in this situation.

Again, we will almost certainly be nipping the noses on the common valleys, this was more of a special application in the bastard system.

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: Hollander House [Re: Chuck Gailey] #24918 12/22/10 02:39 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the fabrication and assembly of the bastard crotch system. We used cribbing to place the bastard valleys in space, both for scribing them together and for scribing in the jack rafters and purlins.

We isolated the elevation at the center of each bearing point, using the computer, and then constructed a wall system to place the valleys correctly. It definitely took some patience and time to get them sitting perfectly, but our cribbing system worked really well and did everything we had hoped of it.

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: Hollander House [Re: Chuck Gailey] #24919 12/22/10 02:46 PM
frwinks Offline
Originally Posted By: Chuck Gailey

Robbing from the left hand to feed the right, you know?

it's only robbing if you get caught grin
thanks for posting the amazing vids of this super cool frame. It's so great to see the transformation from animated model to real world work..truly amazing stuff

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: Hollander House [Re: frwinks] #24934 12/23/10 01:44 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the kind words!

We consider ourselves really lucky to have the honor of designing and fabricating this timber frame and to have clients who are driven to create something a little different than the standard fare.

The whole process has been very inspiring and fulfilling, not to mention challenging and we wouldn't have it any other way.

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: Hollander House [Re: Chuck Gailey] #25000 01/03/11 02:56 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the bastard crotch system right before we disassembled it. You can see all of the purlins and jack rafters have now been cut in and the the backing cuts in the bastard valleys have been cut in as well.

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: Hollander House [Re: Chuck Gailey] #25137 01/12/11 02:52 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, we have finally got to the raising of posts! This video shows us locating the center of Old Glory with the assistance of 4 string lines and the installation of Old Glory and 3 of the 4 posts that surround the stairway opening and support the bastard valleys.

The interior posts attach to the floor beam with mortice and tenon joinery and Old Glory sits right on the pressure treated plate.

I go into a bit more detail on my blog, if you are interested. www.otbdesignworks.com

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: Hollander House #25143 01/13/11 12:31 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Chuck, I just read Hancock's Entangled.

Re: Hollander House [Re: TIMBEAL] #25150 01/13/11 02:23 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Chuck, I just read Hancock's Entangled.

And? I haven't read that one yet, what did you think of it? Have you read Fingerprints of the Gods yet? It will definitely getting the old imagination going, at least for me.

www.otbdesignworks.com

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users