Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Welcome everyone! [Re: Chris Hall] #24773 11/23/10 03:31 PM
mo Offline
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply. That is interesting about shaping the wood to create a square section when a level plane is present. It seems that would add more work on the front end but then less when you get down to the joinery.

A few of us have been taught the french method and all I can say is that there is still a lot more to learn. If there was a scale of expertise of 1-10 I would say I'm at about a 5 with it. However, we have been taught the principles of it and the remaining problems should be able to be solved with them along with some head scratching.

I have inserted a drawing that our teacher gave us as one of the last studies. Basically take two pieces of wood and intersect them at any given angles to find how they join. Take a look. If you want I can try and get you a high-res pic of this via email.

As far as French text. I have had the privilege of looking through these volumes (that are in the link below). All I can say, is that it is the most extensive I have ever seen, and a masterpiece in itself. There aren't many of these present in the States that I know of, but do know of one set. If there is something you have been looking for, I can try to find it for you.

I would like to save up to purchase, but at a 1000 Euros, it will take some time. Rosetta Stone would not hurt either, but there is a ton of visual information. I'm pretty sure the drawing I have attached is from the volumes.

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/7...Bois-Livre.html

Have a good day,

Mo

P.S. As I thought, the picture would not come up big enough in the forum. I'll send you one via email that is better.

Re: Welcome everyone! #24774 11/23/10 07:55 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Mo,

thanks for that. I received the drawing by your email. I wish you hadn't sent me that link to the multi-volume set actually - like I needed something else expensive to tempt me. Sheesh! Tools and books are always finding new ways to extract $$ from me. It's vicious!

Good to be in touch.

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Welcome everyone! [Re: Chris Hall] #24776 11/24/10 04:36 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That drawing you posted (and sent to me), BTW, is a good example of the 'devers de pas' technique being used for development...

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users