Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. #24798 11/28/10 03:51 AM
K
Ken Heath Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am using MacBook I just got few days ago with Sketchup8 and after using existing timbers and joints created by Clark Bemer to make my own design, I was ready to make my own timbers and joints. First thing I did, I created a new 8x8x8 post and made it a component like you should be doing. Then I double-click the mouse to get it into edit mode and when I clicked on the Pull/Push icon and tried to use control but no result so I used "Command" which is control for Mac and nothing happened? I can still push the timber 1" up but it doesn't separate to form a housing. Instead, it just make the timber 8 feet and 1 inch taller. It seems that I am missing something??

Appreciate your help in this as I am really excited about making progress with what I am doing and don't really want to stop. smile

Last edited by Ken Heath; 11/28/10 03:53 AM.
Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. [Re: Ken Heath] #24799 11/28/10 11:25 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Ken -

Not sure what is happening without seeing the file.... The
I build my joinery atop (outside) the components and do a 'paste in place'. The idea here is to draw using the timber as a guide, create the joint component, and the 'cut', open the timber component, and 'paste in place'.

See video

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. [Re: bmike] #24800 11/28/10 03:30 PM
K
Ken Heath Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Mike, thanks for the follow-up and it appears that I missed one important step before the Pull/Push process and that is using rectangle tool. Mind you, I can't hear the video and not familiar with shortcut tool just yet. But I have successfully created my own timber joint.

Now I have few questions- I see Clark Bemer TF Rubies Peg Hole video tutorial. In the video, I can see that after creating the joint, proceed to create peg holes but after I create peg holes, what do I do afterward? I mean how do I save it and all. It would be nice that I can create a joint with holes in it so it will be less work for me down the road when designing a project. Also, another question is what is the rule thumb of putting peg hole in right spot?

Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. #24803 11/29/10 11:43 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Look for Clark's book on the TFG website.

To save - right click on the joint. Select 'save as'. Put it in a folder you have created for your joinery.

There is no audio in my video.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'shortcut tool'. I used rectangle, push pull, line, cut, and 'paste in place'. After pasting the joint into the timber, right click and 'create TF joint' - then you can add pegs and save.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. #24808 11/29/10 06:01 PM
daiku Offline
Ken:

I think you're problem with the push-pull tool is that on the mac, you use the "option" key, instead of the PC's "control" key. At least that's what my sketchup for dummies book says. I'm not a mac user. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. #24809 11/29/10 06:02 PM
daiku Offline
Regarding placement of peg holes, that's more of a desing/engineering question, not software. That will depend on the tension load on the joint, and the species of wood. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. [Re: Ken Heath] #24818 12/01/10 12:40 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
I have a MaC. SK8 works differently than earlier versions with that push/pull tool and I had to make some re-adjustments in how I use it.

Once you have double clicked on the component, it will likely be completely highlighted. That is, all the faces will be highlighted. The push pull tool won't work. What you have to do is click on the face you want to push or pull so that it is the only face highlighted. Then you should be able to push and pull. If you hit the option button at the same time, a '+' mark will appear and that allows for a different type of extrusion.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. [Re: Ken Heath] #24857 12/09/10 11:27 PM
K
Ken Heath Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Finally was able to create a joint and in the process of doing that, I tested "Shop Drawing" and it shows my mortise in the beam on top of post with joint. But after I quit the program and come back later, the joint doesn't work? It is saved inside the joinery folder but it just doesn't work so what did I do wrong?

Re: Stuck on creating new joint from scratch. #24858 12/10/10 02:04 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Edit the timber component and right click on the joint component. It should show something like 'TF ID: joint'. If not, something is amiss.

www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users