Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
power adze surfacing tool #248 07/23/02 01:02 PM
C
cvcolomb Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I worked with a tool in Boulder Colorado that i haven't seen since. It was shaped like a soup bowl with 3 'planer' blades set into the bottom. It mounted on an angle grinder and we used it to mimic adze surfacing. The unit was made by Black & Decker, but when we called to try and locate replacement blades they claimed they had never made such a device.

I would love to be able to find one of these units, we have looked into manufacturing one and it would be pricey. I can't find a reference to one anywhere on the web, even searching the US Patent Office for Black & Decker patents turned up nothing.

Anybody else know what i'm talking about?? Ever seen one? What is it actually called and where could i find one??

Re: power adze surfacing tool #249 07/25/02 07:00 PM
T
Trillium Dell Offline
T
Sounds like a standard paint removal tool. Porter Cable now makes a very nice one. It is similar in design in that you can mount various cutter heads in a mounting bracket that attaches to the porter cable grinder body. Buy one of those and just have a machine shop fabricate you an aluminum head that you can mount the planer blades of your choice in.

Re: power adze surfacing tool #250 07/26/02 11:28 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
there is another way of achieving an adze-cut look on a timber that I have used and found to work very well. Take a Makita 1900b curved base power planer and regrind the blades into a convex curve. Then, you run the planer along the surface of the beam rhythmically bobbing the cutter up and down - adjusting your rate of 'feed', and the duration that the blade is dropped can give finishes that vary in appearance from small scallops that look like gouge work, to broader chops that look just like the dub from an adze.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users