Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Drying big dang timbers #2527 04/29/06 05:56 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Finding I have need of dry yellow cedar timbers (biggest being 21' 8x10)by Sept. I thought it prudent to come to the mount for counsel (that would be you dudes and dude-ets)
The plan I have thus far, based on some advice is to seal ends, stack and sticker, construct an enclosure (tent)with top venting, introduce air flow by means of a squirle cage fan.
And wait with baited breath ...(should probably eat a mint)
Suggestions? pictures? links?

Re: Drying big dang timbers #2528 04/30/06 02:18 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
J,
You neglected to mention how long ago the timbers were trees ? When were the felled and cut ?
Yes, to speed up the drying process moving air and heat from the sun will help. but by all means not direct sunlight so you avoid UV damage.
OR, negotiate a fair price with your local kiln operator.
deralte

Re: Drying big dang timbers #2529 04/30/06 05:20 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Emmett

Thanks for the input
Regarding when the logs were trees, good point, and I don't know. It does raise the issue that if there is an option, older (dryer) logs may be a good choice.
And yes I would keep them out of direct sun, to avoid diferential drying if nothing else.
The kiln may not be an option and so this post to explore alternatives.
I think the thing I am seeking here is some input on the construction considerations of a home built kiln that insures the most even airflow.

J.E.B.

Re: Drying big dang timbers #2530 05/01/06 04:36 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
John,
An observation or two. Yesterday we purchased a 6.5lb pork shoulder with about half the rind left thereon. I wrapped it very tightly in a double layer of no-stick foil. plunked it in a pan for 10 hours at 190f. Let it rest for a few hours then unwrapped it and applied my favorite spice rub. Two or three hours later it went to the high temp hickory smoke for a lil over an hour. After resting again for 30 mins I carefully cut off the outer layer and removed what little visible fat was present. Then to boning which was kinda easy becuz of the slow cookery and resultant tenderness. Tonite we had all that wonderfully charred outer layer for supper. We also have two tubs of "pulled" pork in the fridge for later consumption.
Now shift to erecting a green frame in our northern climate (above 38 north l) and heat it the first winter. Checks like crazy and this ambient air temp is only 80 something.
Whatever you do to hasten the drying keep the air moving and the temp low.
deralte

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users