Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Any experience with Engilab Beam 2D FEA software? #25305 01/24/11 06:25 PM
Kevin Rose Offline OP
OP Offline
I recently came across a shareware Finite Element Analysis program called Engilab Beam 2D. It's pretty easy to use (and free for the limited node/element trial version). Do any of you have experience with this program? More specifically, I'm trying to sort out the input of the force variable. The program allows input of either a point load at a node, or a uniform load along an element. I'm assuming that the number to be input for the uniform load is the force applied per unit (i.e. if an element is defined in inches, the force is per inch)

If anyone has experience with the software, could you give me a quick rundown of the variables by example using, say, a pair of 8"x8"x10' hemlock posts, pinned at the base and connected at the top with an 8"x8"x10' tie, plus a pair of 4"x6"x3' braces, and a uniform load on the tie representing 50lbs/sq ft across 10'x10'bays.

Thanks!
~ Kevin

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont
Re: Any experience with Engilab Beam 2D FEA software? #25308 01/24/11 08:54 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
I'll download and take a peak if I get a chance. I'm on the road and don't have my security dongle with me for the program I use - so I won't be able to check my results against something I know...

In MultiFrame (what I use) you can enter point loads as pounds (or kips, kilos, etc.) and distributed loads as pounds per lineal foot (or kilos plf), etc.

I'm not sure about this program - but in MultiFrame you need to tell the software (graphically) what is a continuous member - each 'timber' is broken wherever it touches another timber. By applying 'releases' you let the software know what nodes are connections (where a timber may be connecting mid span to another) - or which nodes are really and truly the ends of a member (bottom of a post).

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Any experience with Engilab Beam 2D FEA software? #25310 01/24/11 10:00 PM
Kevin Rose Offline OP
OP Offline
EngiLab Beam requires that units be kept consistent throughout. (i.e. it doesn't support specific units - your output is in the units of the input) I've been entering variables in pounds and inches (i.e. for hemlock 8x8 inch beams I'm using inches and pounds, E= 1,100,000 psi, A= 64sq in, I=341 in^4). For element loads, I've determined the total roof or floor area attributed to the truss/bent and multiply that times design loads, then divide it by length of the element in inches. The resulting number is what I've been entering into the f variable. (i.e. pounds per lineal inch).

I hope that it's warmer wherever you're traveling. My mercury stood very short this morning at 28 degrees below zero.

Best,
~ Kevin

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont
Re: Any experience with Engilab Beam 2D FEA software? #25311 01/24/11 10:09 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
-15 here in upstate ny...

was out on my pugsley just before i left @ -8 in BTV sunday morning. didn't get out this morning, but planning on some ADK exploring later this week.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users