Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ribbed Circular Design [Re: Chris Landress] #25476 02/08/11 03:24 AM
Chris Landress Offline OP
OP Offline
Based on the info you guys gave me I made a full scale digital model. The structure is 24'x24' @ 18' high using 6"x8" timbers exclusively and makes use (if I understand correctly) of the ideas presented. The joints where a little more complicated than I thought they would be but I am confident my 3 axis CNC router can cut them properly since none of the pieces are longer than 6 ft. Obviously i'll have a structural engineer sign off on the structure first, but I wanted to get some feedback and any criticisms before I move forward with the math. Thanks again for all your help!

Thank You,
Christopher Landress
clandress@gmail.com
chris@thedigitaldatapimp.com
Re: Ribbed Circular Design #25477 02/08/11 04:08 AM
D L Bahler Offline
I have thought about the joint I had presented earlier, and have actually made a few modifications to it. The reason is that, as designed, it relies exclusively on the shear strength of the pegs or bolts. It seems to me that it is necessary to have an interlocking joint that resists shear by its own virtue, with pegs/bolts only adding to this quality. It's hard to explain what I am taking about, when I have the opportunity I might put up some drawings to show what I am talking about.

two things I notice about your design are ingenious:
1: The use of the lancet arch. This arch is the strongest form of the common arch. The Romans would have used it if they could have figured out how to make it. This is one of the greatest achievements of the Middle Ages.
2: The arch continues to the ground. If the arch is fastened directly to the foundation, the problem of outward thrust is totally eliminated. The ground itself will handle this for you.

The concept with my original design was that the interior faces of the timbers would form a continuous, uninterrupted arch. This was accomplished by applying two octagons on top of each other, 1 rotated in relation to the other. The reduced ends made a similar figure on the exterior and helped direct load forces through the arch. This design was adapted to a simple arch, and would require a lot of revision to suit a lancet arch.

Just a suggestion, but it might be interesting if you designed your structure with cross vaulting, which would give you a very interesting interior

The advantage of the groin vault is that the loads are 100% transferred to 4 spots, and the two crossed vaults oppose the other's outward forces. The result is you have almost purely vertical forces. The arches will hold each other together. This fact is the real reason why medieval churches were built cruciform, it reinforced the otherwise unstable long vaulted halls.

The disadvantage is that the framing would be quite complex.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users