Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Larsen-Truss on a Timber Frame #25711 02/28/11 08:08 PM
D L Bahler Offline
i thought about that as soon as i posted it. unmodified it wouldn't work, but a hybrid system would work

i think we might be best not to think of thins in terms of systems. 'This is the system and so this is how we are going to do it" I think we get in a rut, and don't advance when we do that. I think we need to be flexible, being willing to adapt and change, and modify our methods. The master is the one who realizes he doesn't and never will know everything there is to know, and is always open to learning and advancing

And Don, what is it you mean about the pronouns? I'm afraid I am a bit confused there

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Larsen-Truss on a Timber Frame #25715 02/28/11 11:55 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Smoke alarm. It was not my saw, could be a heavy mix to the gas. I just looked through the opaque tank to check the fuel level, checked to see how dull the chain was, gave it a couple pulls and plunged it into the timber.

Re: Larsen-Truss on a Timber Frame #25720 03/01/11 08:45 AM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
Hello,

Oh, I came up against the realities of the limitations of UBB threadsâ„¢ and then just ran out of enough time to go any further.

I assumed that these codes are mostly safety standards. In fact we used to call them safety codes.

Does it not seem odd: Larsen-Truss ON a timber frame? Why not, Hand formed brick cross pattern masonry facade on a Larsen-Truss on a timber frame? Just where does the excess end?

Oh yes, Bahler, the pronoun thing. It's just me trying to figure out how to make directed comments, as opposed to general ones, given that I don't like funny made up names and constraints imposed by a binary system, as the case may be. Sorry, not related to anything in particular. You can see that it is also a technical problem given that I exist within this forum as Cecile en Don Wagstaff.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Re: Larsen-Truss on a Timber Frame [Re: D L Bahler] #25725 03/01/11 07:38 PM
P
Pfield-steader Offline
P
Sorry - hadn't checked the forum for a while.

So, my point was just that I thought the point of a timber frame is to handle all the structural loads associated with then house while the envelope (in this case a larsen truss system) simply supported the insulation and windows.

And thanks for calling me brave...although I'm not sure why my question would make you think that?

Thanks!

Re: Larsen-Truss on a Timber Frame #25726 03/01/11 08:02 PM
P
Pfield-steader Offline
P
So what I'm hearing in this thread is that a larsen truss would not provide enough lateral stability?

As I've been contemplating building my own small timber frame home, I would like to use local lumber, which would preclude the use of plywood.
Would a larsen truss, using 1x lumber on a diagonal for sheathing, be OK?

Thanks!

Re: Larsen-Truss on a Timber Frame #25727 03/01/11 09:53 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Diagonal 1x sheathing has a fairly good shear value, and can often be a substitute for plywood. It's really up to your engineer to determine what you can get away with, and how (or whether) the Larsen truss is attached to the frame.

Re: Larsen-Truss on a Timber Frame [Re: Pfield-steader] #25766 03/03/11 04:12 PM
frwinks Offline
Originally Posted By: Pfield-steader
So what I'm hearing in this thread is that a larsen truss would not provide enough lateral stability?

There are plenty of examples of this techique being used on TFs.
If a TF can not support itself and stand the test of time, it's a mere accent.
The two stucture redundancy was discussed a little while ago here:
http://www.tfguild.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=18184#Post18184

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users