Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pictures of a timber framing tool box? #25957 03/20/11 10:40 PM
L
lumberguy Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Does anyone have pictures/dimensions of a tool box for timber framing tools? I would like to build one out of cherry, like my woodworking toolbox, and would like to have some ideas before I start.

Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? #25961 03/21/11 12:54 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
There is a thread on tool boxes, but I can't seem to get the Advanced Search to work and the short search doesn't go back far enough.

In it, there are a variety of boxes shown and comments.

What I have found is the tool box I use ends up getting more heavy, I keep adding stuff to it. I need two boxes to be comfortable. I am surprised my broom handle is holding up, I am coming up on a rude awaking when it snaps.

Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? [Re: lumberguy] #25964 03/21/11 02:39 AM
G
Gumphri Offline
G
I do most of my work onsite here is my toolbox and tool roll.

The post your looking for is here
Tool boxes

Last edited by Gumphri; 03/21/11 02:54 AM.

Leslie Ball
NaturallyFramed.ca
Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? [Re: Gumphri] #25966 03/21/11 08:05 AM
L
lumberguy Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, Gumphri!

Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? [Re: TIMBEAL] #25968 03/21/11 08:44 AM
L
lumberguy Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, TIMBEAL! I expect two boxes would be better, easier to balance out when carrying. I am having a hard time figuring out the threads. You mentioned an article in Wooden Boat Magazine on one of yours, do you know about when that was?

Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? #25970 03/21/11 12:07 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
It looks like you fond a second thread, the one posted doesn't have the Wooden Boat reference? I don't recall which issue it was in. It would be around the time I posted the comment, I borrowed the WB mag/rag and it was a new issue, check the date of posting and look for the date just before that.

Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? #25977 03/21/11 09:39 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
I have more than two boxes now for all the stuff I carry. Unfortunately, the tall box that I put in that thread won't go in my new truck. It's too tall for the long boxes, and too long for the tall boxes. I either have to take the square out and make it five inches shorter, or make a new box with the corners sawn off.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? #25980 03/21/11 11:56 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Dave, I almost remade my tool boxes to fit the back of my two door Geo Tracker, the box is too long go just shove long way in, I have to set it in sideways and the latch for when the seat is up right is in the way. But I have been putting it off. I am trying to get a four door version rigged up with more room in the the back, and a nice lumber rack on the roof, supported from the front bumper to the back bumper. A four wheel drive, diesel tool box! With diesel over $4.00/gallon I have not been using the big truck much.

Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? #25981 03/22/11 12:27 AM
D L Bahler Offline
I am thinking of making something of a large portable work box, which is kind of just a cart with several different tool boxes variously attached to it. The reason for that is so that I can have the advantage of 1 tool box that I don't have to keep traveling back and forth for, but I also have small tool boxes that can be easily carried. My axes would probably just have a permanent home on the cart. The big square would just have a slot on the big ol cart. But I tend to use smaller squares a lot of the time, especially when marking joints, timber, or what have you. usually I don't need a full size square for that.

So kind of its would just be a few tool boxes with a cart to haul them all on for convenience sake.

If you haven't figured this out yet, my mind really works with patterns and systems, and the way I like to have my tools stored away is no different. Although right now they are totally disorganized because my collection outgrew my carrying capacity!

I try to divide my tools according to type, use, and purpose. For example, my saws go over here (saws get their own classification among my tools) my hewing axes go over here, joinery axes there. General joinery tools go here, layout tools go there, drafting tools there. And I even have a tool box for my hewing tools, complete with it's own little saw and hatchet.

I want to make some canvas covers for my boxes, something durable but that can also be decorated if I want to.

DLB

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Pictures of a timber framing tool box? #25984 03/22/11 01:31 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
DL, I've daydreamed about a modified wheelbarrow (with an iron wheel, of course) with a flat bed that's level when at rest that I could then fit with custom made boxes (several so none are too heavy) that sit on and lock into place with the tools divided as you outlined more or less. Complete with waxed canvas cloth that snaps on.

But alas, it remains a daydream and for now I use an open top tote that's maybe 12x20x5 that I fill with the tools for the day. When I go to site I take a long tool bag that holds my hand tools -- more general carpentry stuff with a chisel and mallet thrown in.

I have also gotten where I try to do more with fewer tools to lighten the load. One chisel, one mallet, one saw, one axe, one knife, one slick, one plane, and a framing square, 1 foot rule, awl, chalk line, and pencil and I can just about build anything. (doesn't count the drill and mortiser)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users