Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Business Ethics [Re: Gabel] #22135 12/23/09 08:54 PM
brad_bb Offline
Originally Posted By: Gabel

Well I guess I would take it to mean that the owner considered me his friend.

Now you've got me chuckling. Very few would have looked at it from that perspective crazy

Last edited by brad_bb; 12/23/09 08:56 PM.
Re: Business Ethics [Re: Gabel] #26328 04/29/11 02:51 PM
frwinks Offline
I have a good one.. made me think of this thread... grin
A couple of years ago I sent my model to a local TF co. for a quote on direct glazing our cruck prow and possibly supplying us with cruck material. Nothing came of it as they were out to lunch on the glazing part and had no sources for crooked trees..
Fastforward a couple of years, I stumble across their site and lo and behold!...their new project has one of our feature pcs incorporated into otherwise boring multi million $$ home.
Those who are familiar my project know that only two mad minds could come up with that particular design (love ya' Mark cool) and it does not fit in with the co's past portfolio.
I'm not talking a curvey brace, kingpost, or hammer beam either (they have plenty of those behind their belts) it's a VERY particular cruck arrangement.
Thought I'd run this by the TF ethics committee and see what you think grin

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: Business Ethics #26329 04/29/11 04:15 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Have you contacted them to see what's up? At the very least, you might be able to get them to give you some credit on the design idea...

But with what you are describing, that is how styles were developed in the past. Some mad man came up with a new way of doing things, and other copied. Before you know it, you got a new style.

I guess what I am saying, I don't see a whole lot of problem with them using your idea, so long as they are willing to give you credit for it and not outright lie and say it's their own. In fact, perhaps you should be honored that others got inspiration from your ideas.

Personally, I have shared my ideas regarding things like infill and enclosure in the hope that someone else will get inspiration from it, and use these ideas. My aim is to better the industry, not to make a million bucks for myself and hoard my 'intellectual property' (a 100% modern idea)

sorry for the ramble, I do that some times!

DLB

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Business Ethics #26330 04/29/11 05:38 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
As they say "Imitation is the sincerest for of flattery", but a little acknowledgement for the design (and perhaps a nominal design fee) would be nice. I agree on the issue of intellectual property and would be tempted to register the design with one of the open source depositories to keep them from going after anyone that chose to 'copy their design'.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Business Ethics #26331 04/29/11 05:53 PM
brad_bb Offline
Yeah, it's fine for them to take inspiration from your design and use it, after all it's not patented or anything, but it's bad karma not to acknowledge and give you a shout out, frwinks. If I were in their position, I'd be more than happy to give credit, in fact I'd feel downright dirty/lowdown/scummy not to. Why would you not unless you had a big ego to feed or wanted people to think you were something you weren't? But I don't have access to their mind so I can't say for sure...

Re: Business Ethics [Re: brad_bb] #26332 04/29/11 06:36 PM
frwinks Offline
I just found it funny...and a lil' flattering as well blush
I guess pressing out hammerbeam frames all day long can get pretty boring after a while eh? grin

DL, I'm all for reviving the cruck construction...and all free forms of TF construction. The NA TF market seems to be confined to rectilinear designs..what fun are those??

Re: Business Ethics #26334 04/30/11 04:16 AM
brad_bb Offline
Do you have a pic frwinks? Also, what did you mean by glazing? I'm not familiar with that term other than windows.

Re: Business Ethics #26355 05/03/11 05:23 PM
frwinks Offline
face glazing is basically a glass curtain wall attached directly to the TF. Simon explains is much better here:

http://www.blackpig.me/Black_Pig/Glazing_Systems/Glazing_Systems.html

I'll get more into it on my thread once we get the glass in wink

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users