Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tractors #2687 07/25/06 02:25 PM
U
Use Sun Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Okay, I know there're a few of you out there that use tractors to skid trees in the woods and also with forks to load timbers onto a woodmizer, sawhorses etc.... So I'm looking for some recommendations on what to look for and what the capacities might be of a small tractor. We live on 70 off the grid acres and desperately need a tractor for our firewood needs, brush hogging, and driveway maintenance. In addition I need one for use in my small scale shop for moving timbers, organizing my piles for shipment, and for skidding trees that I'll mill myself. Any ideas and suggestions are heartedly welcome. I've heard good things about the old Fords, but have never worked with them. I've worked with old JD's as well as new ones, but one lookat the $$ and old is where it's at for now. Thanks!

Rusty Partridge
BLACK DOG TIMBERWORKS LLC

Re: Tractors #2688 07/25/06 06:41 PM
M
Mad Professor Offline
M
I've ran a ford 9N I brought for $1200 for many years now. It's small but will run all day on a 7 gal tank of gas and you can fix almost anything on it with a adjustable wrench and a screwdriver.

I pull logs using the 3 pt hitch and a draw bar. Get a set of chains that connect the ends of the drawbar to the top link, this way you can lift the end of the log then release the hydraulics and the chains hold the weight. I've skidded 16 ft /30 in dia logs without a problem.

If you decide to run a brush hog get a overrunning coupler for the output shaft.

Re: Tractors #2689 07/25/06 10:28 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
As far as older tractors, I recommend a Ford 4000 (mid 1970's and up). The 4000 has wet brakes, power steering, it's around 50-55 hp and it is much more robust than an 8n or 9n. They are great tractors. If you want bigger, I think the 5000's are good too.

Whichever route you go, remember that at some point you will be headed downhill with a load and need to stop under control, so make sure the breaks are strong. Also, I personally would not get a tractor without power steering if I were going to have a front end loader on it. The weight on the front end can be pretty destructive on older steering mechanisms.

That's my opinion.

Gabel

Re: Tractors #2690 07/26/06 02:21 AM
B
Boire Offline
B
A tractor with a wide front would be a must. Preferably a model with robust spindles, for heavy loads. The additional advantage of a wide front end is that it better displaces the weight should you drive over soft soils with a load in the bucket.
When skidding a three point hitch is great because you can lift the but of the log, transfering the wieght to the drive wheels. A three point hitch will allow you to buy new implements almost anywhere.
If your going to use the tractor for prolong hard work a diesel would be great. But a gas tractor will be less expensive to purchase and will typically start better in cold weather.

You may want to take a look at these articles from mother earth news.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/top_articles/2002_April_May/A_Perfect_Homestead_Tractor

http://www.motherearthnews.com/top_articles/2002_April_May/How_To_Select_A_Compact_Tractor

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic_Gardening/1981_March_April/A_Tractor_for_the_Small_Farm

Hope this helps. Pat

Re: Tractors #2691 07/27/06 02:32 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
I have always felt when you are looking at this kind of equipment that you should shop for a dealer. All the tractors are good...if they run. When they break down is when you find out how good the support system for it is. If the nearest Ford agricultural tractor dealer is 200 miles away, but the nearest JD dealer is downtown the JD may be a better deal even though its more expensive. I shop for a chainsaw by finding the dealer that is close by and knows the equipment that he sells. Stop by your dealers and find one you can like and trust and you will have the best tractor made.

Re: Tractors #2692 07/27/06 10:55 AM
K
kfhines Offline
K
Old tractors are the way to go. I would not be able make due with out my Ford 640. I would have to agree with Gabel about having power steering the 640 is a nice size tractor but can be a bear to steer. Here is a great web site for info, manuals and parts. I have purchases many parts from these folks in the past with out any problems.
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/
There are a lot of helpful tractor sites out there but this one should get you started.
Good luck. Karl Hines

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Re: Tractors #2693 07/27/06 01:45 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
My father bought a Case 580 tractor with three point hitch in 1968. We still use it here at the yard.
In '94 we added some forks to the front bucket.
These are hung from three hooks welded to the top edge of the bucket.
Here is a shot of the forks lifting a bent in a frame:

Due to the extended reach of the forks the load is reduced to about 1000 lbs.

If you can add forks to your bucket it makes it very easy to just drive up and clip on or release. You don't even have to leave the drivers seat.

Hope this helps.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Tractors #2694 08/05/06 12:45 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
had to put a word in for my massey-ferguson 265.
awesome machine, i now have over 8000 hours on it and runs like a top. will handle one ton on the loader. ten foot lift.

Re: Tractors #2695 08/25/06 11:56 AM
U
Use Sun Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Many thanks for all of the good thoughts. The Uncle Henry's is being read weekly looking for a deal. If anyone knows of a good machine avaiable, by all means pass it along! Thanks!

Rusty Partridge
BLACK DOG TIMBERWORKS LLC

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users