Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Direct glazing our timberframe #26935 08/09/11 04:35 PM
frwinks Offline OP
OP Offline
Since a few threads have surfaced over the years on the subject, but no "hard evidence" has been posted, I thought some of you would find this interesting.
We designed our house with passive solar heating in mind and with S/E exposure, on top of a hill, the concept was a perfect fit. After pricing out double and tirpple pane, high performance windows required to get the most out of the design, we quickly realized that such windows were way out of our budget. I then started researching solariums and direct glazing. Why spend money on unnecessary window frames when we had the best kind of frames out there...timberframes
We made a few subtle changes to the prow wall in order to facilitate the IGUs install and placed the order with EcoGlass www.ecoglass.ca a local manufacturer of HP glass units. The windows we priced out earlier... so called "high performance" windows that would require us to sell our future kids and most likely their kids too, were not so HP when compared to Heat Mirror units sold by EcoGlass. The data is available on the website, and the numbers speak for themselves. Dieter, the owner, has a great display in the showroom for those of us who like to touchn' feel before we sign on the dotted line...:)
Fastforward a year and change...
After closing in the house after raising, there wasn't enough time to get the glass in before the snow came last year. I temporarily closed in the prow and peeled back the layers this spring.

hello crazy brace

I cut the pcs for the glass frame over the winter months. Reclaimed, old growth doug fir

first crack at a compound cut piece made to fit another pc which was sitting around unpegged for 6-7 months... grin

one by one we got them all in

The info on the subject is scarce. A couple of books with generic diagrams and local glazing companies running for the hills when approached about the project. With the blessing of our PEng, I kept at it solo.
The "spacers" are a combination of pine and plywood, built up to 1 5/8". With the IGU's @ 1 3/8" and EPDM gaskets compressed to 1/8" per side this should yield a snug fit.

The EPDM gaskets I'm using came from the only place in N/A I could find them @
http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_glazing.html

The flashing is Al.and is tucked behind the lower support spacer secured with lags.

Water management is important, in case any water ever gets behind the double seal system it has to be able to drain out. I kerfed the spacers to allow for that drainage.

And the finished wall ready for gaskets and glass.

I still have to rip some air dried white oak for capping pcs, apply the gaskets and find enough help to muscle in the 400lb pc of glass into place whistle ..... stay tuned grin

Last edited by frwinks; 08/09/11 04:49 PM.

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: Direct glazing our timberframe #27216 09/15/11 10:18 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
hey there raff! awesome photos, very interesting. The snow will soon fly again!

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe [Re: Mark Davidson] #27218 09/15/11 02:33 PM
frwinks Offline OP
OP Offline
hey Mark, hope you're well bud... what a crazy summer and yes, thanks for the reminder whistle
We're in much better shape than this time last year...
This one was taken Sep 12, 2010 cry

I ripped some white oak for cover boards the other weekend and built up the crazy prow corners. Days are getting short, not much light left after getting home from the day gig, most of the work is getting done at night, but I'm used to that..lol

The crane is booked for end of next week...I figured it's the safest way of handling the glass...

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe #27228 09/17/11 12:29 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness....
seriously, you're looking good and the building looks good too.
keep up the great work.
m

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe [Re: Mark Davidson] #27237 09/19/11 02:32 PM
frwinks Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm known for going way off the deep end on my projects grin
I picked up the glass from my buddy's shop on Friday...by noon Sat, we had two pcs installed and were trying to lift the 450 pounders off the rack....no dice. I'll just have to wait patiently for Saturday whistle

finally comin' home

gasket corner detail

first pc in and capped

This is going to be one looooong week.. grin

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe #27241 09/19/11 08:01 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
can we turn this into an article for Timber Framing?

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe [Re: Joel McCarty] #27247 09/20/11 04:12 PM
frwinks Offline OP
OP Offline
absolutely, I think it's a great system for TF's, providing the right glass is used.
Let me know if you need hires pics, more pics, specific pics, more details etc... blush

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe [Re: frwinks] #27288 09/26/11 06:32 PM
frwinks Offline OP
OP Offline
What a great weekend in Southern Ontario for direct glazing a Timberframe grin
They called for rain, we got pure sunshine and a cool breeze (or was it the glass IGU's flying through the air whistle...lol)
Reid, thanks for taking the time away from enclosing your own frame to come up and lend a hand on this glorious day..cheers man!!
Mark, thanks for going along with my crazy vision to have this wall glazed, and prepping the main pcs just right, furniture grade like grin. Even the poplar ties are behaving

Here it is, in all it's glory...overlooking Mulmur Hills

I rented a vacuum lifter by Wood's Powergrip, which made the day soooo much more enjoyable. Just suck it on and forget it.

and had a super smooth crane operator from Bryan's Fuel

last pc flying in... one happy me grin

I'm using temporary plates for now. I have a love/hate relationship with cranes by now and didn't want to slow down the day by messing around with more gaskets and cover boards.

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe #27289 09/26/11 08:43 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Very cool stuff. Was it difficult to tuck the upper pieces of glazing in with the roof overhang? I'm looking forward to an article.

Re: Direct glazing our timberframe #27293 09/27/11 03:19 PM
frwinks Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks and yes, the first pc was a pain with that 5' overhang. I thought we could swing the bottom of the glass into position and as the operator released the cable we could push the top in. With the weight of the glass, we couldn't get the bottom of the glass even remotely close to where it needed to go.

So we took some measurements and figured out if we pulled the lower extension arms off the attachment, removed the ball and hook off the crane, we could stick the head of the crane under the gable overhang. That worked much better and we flew through the rest of the install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users