Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27294 - 09/27/11 01:00 PM Re: Direct glazing our timberframe
Reid Harding Offline

Raff, had a great time helping with the install. It was a unique learning experience. And many thanks for the hospitality.

The windows look fantastic and the view out over the hills is amazing.

Cheers,

Reid

#27299 - 09/28/11 11:05 PM Re: Direct glazing our timberframe
Gumphri Offline

Nice pictures. Beautiful Architecture. Looks very similar to how glass is installed on curtain walls. The curtain walls in my experience have aluminum frames that don't move. Every frame I've ever installed has had a certain amount of movement as the wood dried. How did you allow for that movement? Is there enough play in the gaskets to allow for this?

#27304 - 09/29/11 02:33 PM Re: Direct glazing our timberframe [Re: Gumphri]
frwinks Offline

Loc: The Hills, ON
thanks for the kind comments Gumphri. The system originated in UK, on green oak frames. Given their climate and the movement of green oak, I'm considering this the worst case scenario..lol
My seasoned white pine, old growth doug fir and mild Ontario climate are no match to what the guys in UK have to put up with.
The EPDM gaskets are spec'ed specifically to address the movement of frames. With a 1/4"-1/2" channel around the glass/packing pieces, the glass is allowed to float on the frame.

#27415 - 10/17/11 10:41 AM Re: Direct glazing our timberframe
frwinks Offline

Loc: The Hills, ON
The last cover board went up last weekend, turning the pipe dream into reality smile
I used SS GRK fasteners to secure the white oak boards which are being plugged with white oak face grain plugs. I'm using a Veritas snug plug cutter which is very handy for making tight fitting plugs wink

Also put together some short clips and pics from THE day of 2011 (at least on our calendar)

#32257 - 04/27/14 12:14 AM Re: Direct glazing our timberframe [Re: frwinks]
collarandhames Offline

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario
Raff, this thread needs more! And yes, an article in our mag is due. I really want to come see your frame this fall. And bring my pops. (and boo!) Love to you and Tammy!
This clearly is the coolest frame/forum on the site!
your pal
dave

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 
Newest Members
ChrisNZ, tnbison, Redtop, Stu, HFR
4777 Registered Users