Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sawing available from water powered mill in NH #2705 07/29/06 04:07 PM
H
Housewright Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Sanborn Mills in Loudon, New Hampshire has been restoring a water powered sawmill which is now operational and they are taking lumber orders. It is a nice place to visit even if you don,t need any wood! Call (603) 435-7314 or check out http://www.sanbornmills.org

Currently they are using a Lane #1 circular saw mill. The restoration of the up and down saw in still in progress. They can cut timbers to 40 feet, and have six hundred acres of trees to choose from (and can buy logs as needed).
Or would you rather burn forgein oil to have your trees milled?

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Sawing available from water powered mill in NH #2706 07/30/06 01:00 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello Housewright:

I noticed that your group are restoring an up and down , or better put a muley saw mill with I expect a vertical blade.

For many years I worked with and restored just such a mill hat dated to 1846

It would be interesting to give the readers some of the information in connection with the older sawing apparatus that you have there, especially a date that it was originally built.

The type of water power that drove the original machinery would also be an interesting subject, our mill used a barrel wheel, directly below the blade and was connected to the vertical blade with a wooden pitman. Our mill has now run for over 40 years milling 20000 bd ft yearly since it was restored in 1961.

I take it that you are no doubt using a water powered turbine to drive the circular saw at the present time because the circular blade would need somewhere between 40 to 50 horsepower to run it up to speed properly, and hold it there as it works.

What type of lumber are you milling now? is it soft or hard wood?

Very interesting topic.

NH

Re: Sawing available from water powered mill in NH #2707 07/30/06 01:49 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
Hey
Now here is something I know about. As caretaker for the state owned Taylor Sawmill in Derry NH, I am sawyer,millwright, head log peeler.....
After seeing Sanborn Mills carriage and mill set up I have a bad case of carriage envy , we can only cut up to 12' timbers.
We have never been allowed to sell our wood but could probably work with a not for profit restoration or museum.
We run the mill every 2nd and 4th Saturday, May thru Sept. I won't be there this coming mill day as I plan on being up at the barn raising in VT, but the mill will be open and cutting.

Re: Sawing available from water powered mill in NH #2708 07/31/06 02:22 PM
H
Housewright Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi NH

I almost posted a disclaimer in my original messaage that I am not associated with Sanborn Mills. I just visited the mill while on a visit to my mothers in Gilmanton, and I wanted to help get the word out that they are up and running.

I would enjoy seeing a thorough discussion of water powered mills in this forum, but the best I can do to answer your questions is direct you to Sanborn Mills website or to the Society for the Preservation of Old Mills at www.spoom.org

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users