Print Thread
Rate Thread
Water-powered Mill in Hancock #27067 08/30/11 06:29 PM
C
cdaloz Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi,
I am the owner of a small, water-powered, woodworking mill in NH, and I am aging out of being able to care for and utilize it properly. I am therefore looking for someone to buy/lease to own or otherwise fund its continued existence. I am not sure that this is an appropriate forum for this type of announcement, but I am in need of passing on this special property to someone with more capital and initiative than I now possess, and perhaps this opportunity will appeal to some one of your members or others that they may know. A description follows:

For sale by owner: Farm and water-powered mill on 38 acres in Hancock, NH. Includes large family farm house, barn, sheds, workshop, pond, dam, and water-powered box and barrel mill. Currently supports 60 member certified organic Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) garden project and the nascent Ferguson Brook Rural Education Center (FBREC), a demonstration, research, and education non-profit enterprise for ecological technology. Also includes micro-hydro-electric power station and water-powered woodworking business. Owner hopes to sell to ecologically-minded entrepreneur who wants to continue stewardship of this unique ecological business opportunity and homestead. Contact C. Daloz at 603-525-3788 or dalozc@gmail.com.
We are currently producing a small number of finger-jointed bushel and standard produce boxes, using 1900's era machinery and potentially entirely by water-power (green!) once the lumber (local) is sawn. There is barrel making equipment on site, and several lathes for turning work. I believe that the right person(s) could make a viable niche woodworking business out of this, save the history, produce for the new economy, and perhaps, with others, continue the site's educational and agricultural functions. I'm looking for a price at 650,000, but the right person is as important as price.
Thank you for whatever suggestions or efforts you might bring to this proposal, and hope that this unsolicited email is more intriguing than obtrusive. Sincerely, Charles

Re: Water-powered Mill in Hancock [Re: cdaloz] #27998 01/25/12 01:13 PM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello Charles

Just ran across your post and I do hope that you find that right person, I will noise it around here also, Isuspect that there has to be someone in this large country that would appreciate what you have. You might put an add in the Old Mill News, if you go on line you will come to the web site, it is a publication of SPOOM--(Society for the Preservation Of Old Mills)--I lectured to them a few times over the years

I worked for many years at a site here in ontario (Upper Canada Village) that had 3 water powered mills, a saw mill, a wollen mill, and a grist mill with the latter being steam engine assisted

My heart really lies with the saw mill which is powered by a horizontal barrel wheel circa 1846, this mill has a 6' vertical saw blade and each year since about 1961 we sawed 20000 bd ft of lumber each season of operation

I was wondering though if your barrel wheel is similar to ours, it is referred to as a rose wheel in old technical books

Anyway hope you have luck in your venture

reply if you have time

Richard Casselman

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users