Print Thread
Rate Thread
Guild Apprenticeship Program #27153 09/08/11 03:32 PM
K
kkaldor Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello All,

I'm a newbie to the forum and Timber Framing in general, but I am interested in learning more about the Guild Apprenticeship Program. I have a few general questions that I couldn't find answers to on the website and I hope someone can answer.

1) Has the program started off well? Are there many people applying for the apprenticeships and how well are the Journeworkers (companies) accepting this program?

2) How is the location of the apprenticeship determined?

3) What have been the general opinions from the Guild on this program.

I think the Apprenticeship Program is a great idea and way for people to start out in this wonderful craft.

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Kyle Kaldor

Re: Guild Apprenticeship Program #27166 09/09/11 09:28 PM
Will B Offline
Hi Kyle,
The Guild currently has around 6 apprentices and 30 journeyworkers (status of some is still pending). Right now the Guild is only accepting apprentices that are working under a registered journeyworker, so that means you have to get the job before becoming an apprentice, and hence that determines the location.
Everyone in the Guild, I believe, supports the program, but the current employment difficulties in the construction industry limit the opportunities.
First thing, of course, is to join the Guild if you haven't already done so. Then attend a Guild event and take a workshop or two, and through networking, get to know enough people involved in the program to work your way into a job position under a journeyworker.

Re: Guild Apprenticeship Program [Re: kkaldor] #27171 09/10/11 03:21 AM
B
Billy Dillon Offline
B
Email me Billy Dillon bd@vineyard.net and I will direct you to the person with all the answers

Re: Guild Apprenticeship Program #27194 09/12/11 01:36 PM
K
kkaldor Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Will and Billy,

Thank you for your responses and recommendations. I was unaware that I needed to be working under a journeyworker before applying.

I am already planning on taking a workshop in the area as a first step. Hopefully I can get to know some of the guys in the industry and get my foot in the door. Living in MN is probably going to make it a little more difficult than if I was in the NE, but I'll keep looking for opportunities.

Kyle

Re: Guild Apprenticeship Program #27199 09/13/11 01:18 AM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
There's a journeyworker in Minneapolis.

Check out the map:
http://tfguild.org/Apprenticeship/ProgramDescription.html

Re: Guild Apprenticeship Program [Re: kkaldor] #31411 12/08/13 08:41 PM
K
kakashi Offline
K
hi all I'm very new to this but ever since i started and finished my carpentry training two years ago, I've always been wanting to study the craftsmanship of timber framing and i just wanted to know where, or if there are any timber framing programs or companies in PA USA near harrisburg that would accept a novice in this field of woodwork as an apprentice. oh and if you were wondering why i have chosen this place its cause i frequently go there every year from the UK where i live.
many thanks

Last edited by kakashi; 12/08/13 08:43 PM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Will B 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users