Print Thread
Rate Thread
Aging an Old Barn? #27274 09/22/11 01:28 PM
B
Blues Harp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello Everyone,

First I have to say that registering and posting (this is my first) is very emotional...my Name is Scott Witter and you all knew my older brother Mark Witter. Without getting into too much detail I will just state that Mark is solely responsible for two great loves in my life, timberframes/timberframing and blues (I also play the harp!).

There is much more to say, but I want to get to my question....I have been a wood worker my whole life and presently I make custom box calls for turkey hunting. As this craft has evolved and part of its history and tradition has been to record the type of wood used for the box call and from where it came. This is important to me. One of the best woods to use is American Chestnut and as you might guess, one of the best places to source this wood is from an old barn. Well, as luck would have it I have located just such a structure which will shortly be taken down and I have access to as much of the wood as I want. Yesterday I was able to get a knee brace and a thick 2.5" board from the threshing floor. While cutting up the wood last night, I discovered that the knee brace is hard/rock maple and the floor board was in fact Chestnut--yipee!

Now what I want to know is how old the barn really is? It has a combo of LARGE circular saw marks and hewn posts and beams. Much of the bark is still on several of each, but not ever having seen a Chestnut tree in my life I wouldn't be able to say if these are Chestnut or not, however, I do know that they are not Oak, or Pine since I am a landscape architect I can identify most tree species. The longest beams run clear for 35' across the barn and supported by 2 posts which are hewn. All of the posts and beams are connected by white oak pegs +- 18" long. I have survey notes back to 1870 that show the owner and the barn which tells me the barn was built before that, but when?

I am not looking to place an exact date, but rather to get it close...within 10 years if possible.

If anyone wants to chat offline you can reach me at witterdesign@gmail.com.

Scott

Re: Aging an Old Barn? [Re: Blues Harp] #27278 09/23/11 06:38 PM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Blues Harp

Much of the bark is still on several of each, but not ever having seen a Chestnut tree in my life I wouldn't be able to say if these are Chestnut or not,

Scott

Hello Scott,

We still have good and usable chestnut here in Holland, a slightly different variety but probably in every practical way similar. One thing in particular about the bark is its long fibers. If you peel or break some off and it is fibrous that could be a sign that it is chestnut. I've got some out back here and think some may still have the bark on. If you think a picture would help, setting one up here could be arranged.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Re: Aging an Old Barn? [Re: Cecile en Don Wa] #27279 09/24/11 01:00 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Link to photos of American Chestnut leaves, burrs and bark.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/cade.html

Re: Aging an Old Barn? #27284 09/24/11 10:37 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Welcome Scott;

If you can figure out how to post photos that that is the most helpful way to get help dating your barn. Take photos such as an overall exterior and interior and some detail shots of things you find interesting.

Good luck;
Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Aging an Old Barn? #27517 10/29/11 04:30 AM
B
businessphones Offline
B
We rarely get to see one of the best woods used and to see the old barn...

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users