Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sobon 12x16 shed, need drawings #271 08/21/02 05:11 PM
G
Greg E Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I've finally carved out some time to work on my garden shed. I cracked open my Jack Sobon book last night, re: the Garden Shed project.

I had thought all the necessary layout details/drawings needed were included in the book, but they are not. The posts are by far the most complicated member to layout, but there is barely a 1/2 page description of this.

Does Jack or anyone else sell full drawings (i.e. all pieces layed out) of this building? Sorry if this has alredy been discussed.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Sobon 12x16 shed, need drawings #272 08/22/02 01:01 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Greg: I don't believe that Jack does sell plans for this size garden shed. But I have taken his course and have a set of plans for his other shed, the two story 14'x16' Dutch style house/cabin/barn. His plans do take some time to figure out.
What is your specific question on the posts? Maybe I can help you understand the layout, I'd be glad to help, either here on this forum or by direct email. Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Sobon 12x16 shed, need drawings #273 08/28/02 01:42 AM
J
John Milburn Offline
J
Greg E, I can also help you with any questions you might have with Jack's garden shed. You can E Mail me at jmilburn@nycap.rr.com. The address in the member directory is incorrect. John...

Re: Sobon 12x16 shed, need drawings #274 08/29/02 03:26 PM
G
Greg E Offline OP
OP Offline
G
John & Jim,

Thanks for helping with the Sobon shed. I've been busy and havnen't been able to respond until now.

I don't have the book with me at the moment, but as I stated before, there are no measured drawings of any of the posts, from what I saw.

As I recall, there is a small isometric view of a corner post stuck with all its mortises, shoved into a margin, but that is not enough (for me) to go on.

Perhaps you can derive the various measurements and key dimensions on each member by exprapolating from the whole building assembled drawing. But I'd rather not introduce that element of error. I'm not much more than a beginner, and trying to guess dimensions is something I'd rather not get into.

Don't get me wrong, I love this book, but it is a bit maddening in that there are meticulous details and drawings of some of the simpler joinery, but nary a few paragraphs on the posts.

I guess I have been spoiled in the past, working with complete, high quality drawings, when I've attended various workshops by Goshen Timber Frames in NC, and the Guild (Slate Run 2001/Rudy Christian).

Greg

Re: Sobon 12x16 shed, need drawings #275 08/31/02 02:42 AM
P
piller Offline
P
Hi Greg,
The garden shed is a great project. I have taken the Goshen workshop as well as a Sobon workshop and each workshop uses difference methods.

Goshen used mill rule, that is every timber comes from the mill with the correct dimensions, an 8 x 8 is supposed to be 8 x 8. Goshen also used a drawing for each timber with all faces shown. However, unless you have all the drawings and a picture of the frame you won't know how the pieces are supposed to fit together or even what kind of frame your timber is for.

Sobon uses a single drawing for the entire frame and for this frame he uses square rule layout. So you need to know the basics of square rule and layout faces.

For instance in the garden shed the posts are 8 x 8's but joinery is actually cut to the perfect inner 7 x 7 timber measured from the outside layout faces. So you will need to measure your timbers and then determine if you will use 7 x 7, or maybe 7-1/2 x 7-1/2.

Assume that you use the dimensions given in Sobon's book "Timber Frame Construction". All of the information you need is there. Pictures on p. 39, 40. Plans on p. 100. Page 115 layout, drawing. P. 118 sills and post mortise. P.119, 120 drawing post top, layout face. P. 121 drawing, P 124, and 127.

The sills, posts, plates, and crossbeams are 8 x 8s. The plans show 10' from bottom of sill to top of plate. The sill is shown to be 8" high, the top of the plate is the layout face and the post top is located 7" below the top of the plate. So the post length (shoulder to shoulder, not including the tenons) is 10' - 8" -7" = 8' 9" as shown on p.120. Note: the text says to make a 2" stub tenon but you need to reduce it to 1-7/8" or so to leave a little room for cross grain shrinkage in the sill.

The plans show the longitudinal side wall girts being 4 x 4's with 5' from the bottom of the sill to the top of the girt. So the top of the girt will be located at 5' - 8" = 4'4" from shoulder on bottom of post.

Plans show 4' from the bottom of the sill to the top of the end wall section girts.

Do the same thing for the cross beams, note that the layout face for the crossbeams is the top.

The braces are shown in detail, measure 3' down and 3' over from the 7" perfect timber lines on the post and the crossbeam or plate.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any more questions. I think once you have this system figured out you will like it.
Chip

Re: Sobon 12x16 shed, need drawings #276 09/03/02 02:49 PM
G
Greg E Offline OP
OP Offline
G
[QUOTE]Originally posted by piller:
[QB]Hi Greg,
The garden shed is a great project. I have taken the Goshen workshop as well as a Sobon workshop and each workshop uses difference methods.

snip...

Hey Chip, thanks for the reply.

I am familiar with square rule layout and the use of reference faces. Thats what we used on the TFG Slate Run workshop.

I still didn't think there was enough detail in the book. But I will print out your message, go back and read the pages you mention and see if I can't make more sense of it.

Maybe I have some missing pages?!?

Thanks again,
Greg

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users