Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Autodesk Revit #27654 11/21/11 02:14 AM
J
J. ODonnell Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Does anyone have an opinion on Autodesk Revit Archictecture? It appears Sketchup is popular, but I haven't read much about any other software that people are using for TF and general home design. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Revit is 3D modeling sofware.

Re: Autodesk Revit [Re: J. ODonnell] #27664 11/23/11 09:00 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Revit is designed around a BIM system - Building Information Modeling. This means you build with parametric objects that have pre-defined (and user defined) attributes. Ideally, this lets one manage materials lists, estimates, construction scheduling, etc.

I haven't played with Revit since before Autodesk purchased the original developer. From the looks of the product, and from my (limited) experience using AutoCAD Architecture to do similar things (predefined windows, openings, doors, joists, etc. etc.) I think it is overkill for residential construction - unless you are managing 15-20-30+ projects a year, and are willing to invest into building the objects and the databases to support what the software was designed for. The data you get out is only as good as the data you put into it - so if you want fine grained detail of your projects you'll need to detail common connections, components, details, schedules, etc.

I think Revit does build in 3d, but it is not as friendly as SketchUp (or generic AutoCAD) for general modeling.

If you are looking to do timber specific work, I also do not know how the underlying geometry / modeling transfers to timber specific packages (CADWorks, Dietrichs, HSB, etc.)

There is also the price of entry (below), and upgrading every year or every other year:

Revit:
$5,495 (from the Autodesk Online Store)

AutoCAD Architecture:
$4,995

AutoCAD12:
$3,995

AutoCAD LT:
$1,000

SketchUp Pro: (with LayOut)
$495

The BIM systems do have advantages in materials, costing and sometimes semi automated creation of details... but I think its more about what you are working on and tuning your tools to the task.

Last edited by bmike; 11/23/11 09:00 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Autodesk Revit [Re: bmike] #27667 11/24/11 10:00 AM
J
J. ODonnell Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Great response, thanks. Looks like I need to spend a little more time with Sketchup. I can see how Sketchup would work great for timber frames, but what about 2D drawings of the project or home, elevations, floor plans, etc... What's most commonly used? What's your opion? To be more specific, I'm most interested in residential design.

The person that drew up my house plans used Autdesk Architecture. He didn't have the timber framing knowledge so I had to coach him and it was difficult. Not everything worked out, as I expected, but I made it work in the end.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users