Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Access to TTRAG documentation - piller #27848 12/28/11 04:35 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline OP
OP Offline
K

Some time ago Pillar posted this question to which no answer was ever given.

"The TFG website states "The Traditional Timberframing Research and Advisory Group (TTRAG) was organized in 1990 as a special-interest group within the Timber Framers Guild, to focus on the documentation, repair, preservation, reconstruction and reproduction of historic timber framing".

Suppose one would like to learn about timber frame barns built in New York state in the early 1800's. How could one get access to this information? For example, survey results including information such as wood species, dimensions, frame design, joinery, photos, etc. Does a database with this information exist, is this information available to the public? In what format is the information available?
Thanks, Chip"

I too would like to know and understand more about what information is potentially available to TTRAG members and public alike ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Access to TTRAG documentation - piller [Re: Ken Hume] #27849 12/28/11 04:40 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
Good question.

I will inquire.

Re: Access to TTRAG documentation - piller [Re: Joel McCarty] #27857 12/31/11 01:14 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Hi Ken and Joel;

The TTRAG archive is now officially housed at Dave Lanou's shop in Massachusetts. The collection is not large and is not well organized. We have been working toward digitizing the information and getting it online, but progress is slow. We are looking for labor and expertise to do the digitizing, but it will still take an expert to determine the labels to use in tagging each file so the information can be found in a computer search.

At this point in time the only way to see the information is welcome to go to the archive and look through it, which anyone can do. I do not have Dave's contact information with me but anyone interested can email me and I will get his contact information so they can make an appointment.

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Access to TTRAG documentation - piller [Re: Housewright] #27861 12/31/11 07:54 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that update and may I encourage you and the TTRAG members to focus on first producing an index or list of archived materials so that this can be made available to bona fida historic building researchers. I am sure that the feedback obtained from same will in turn tend to generate priorities for digitisation.

I look forward to the day when I can offer to swap an English cruck framed recording report for a New England Barn frame report.

We know that there is a well established historical link between Europe and America and so it would be useful to be able to examine those interfaces, overlaps and deviations in the development of timber-framed buildings practice even if this just establishes the "known unknowns".

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users