Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Checking/Splitting of end grain. #280 09/09/02 06:29 PM
R
Reg Offline OP
OP Offline
R
In the sawing and drying forum I see a LOT of posts about sealing end grain to prevent checking and splitting. I also see high value small pieces of wood at places such as "Woodcraft Supply" with the end grain wax sealed. I have not (yet) seen such a recommendation to seal/reseal end grain in a timber framing article on cutting joints. Given that green lumber is typically used and joints involve the ends of timbers as well as end grain exposed from cutting mortices it would seem a logical thing to do. So, is it too labor intensive, or is the assumption that it would merely delay but not prevent checking ? BTW, I'd guess the joints would slip together a bit easier with some wax emulsion on the mating parts (-:

tnx,

Reg

Re: Checking/Splitting of end grain. #281 09/09/02 09:20 PM
daiku Offline
I apply end grain sealer on any end grain I expose as I'm cutting timbers, usually within an hour of cutting it. Mortises, tennons, butts. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Checking/Splitting of end grain. #282 09/09/02 10:55 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Sealing the ends of timbers, tenons and joints is common practice at many companies and timber framing schools. I use Anchorseal on my logs and timbers. You can get 5-gallon pails delivered and they come in many colors. Use the link on the sawmill and drying forum on woodweb to contact to UC Coatings, they sell the wax based paint called Anchorseal. Good Luck with your project. Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Checking/Splitting of end grain. #283 09/12/02 12:00 PM
R
Reg Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks, I appreciate the replies.
As I said, it is one of those things that I would expect folk to do, but I hadn't seen a text recommending it. Maybe it's one of those very obvious "don't drop heavy things on your feet and don't cut yourself with the tools" level things that everyone in the biz just knows about and does without saying. I'm not "in the biz", just an onlooker.

Reg

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users