Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Do you have a TF philosophy? #2835 09/04/06 02:00 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering how many of you here have a timber framing philosophy. I have been studying timber framing for several years now, and I recently realized that I have developed my own theories about what timber framing means to me and where I think it could go in the future. Many people laugh at me when I mention that I want to purue TF as a career. They think it is outdated and inefficient. I recieve the most resistance from people who don't believe you can build anything without power tools. I feel that a philosophy helps keep me focused in my interest in timber framing, and helps me explain what it is I am trying to do to others. I have actually written a couple of pages on what I feel best describes my philosophy and have been editing it as I become more educated about the craft and realize what my priorities are. I also hope that if I have my ideas clearly outlined that it will help me find someone to work for (which I am hoping will be soon) who has the same timber framing principles. So, am I crazy, or does this make sense?

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2836 09/04/06 02:10 AM
Joel McCarty Offline
No better place than here to post those thoughts.

If there is a group more receptive to philosophy, I do not know what it might be.

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2837 09/04/06 07:09 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Dave,

Lets here more about your timber framing philosophy please.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2838 09/04/06 05:08 PM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a rough overview in no particular order.

I feel that a timber framed home using materials milled locally, using as many natural materials as possible, (i.e. no vinyl siding, asphalt shingles etc.) is going to provide a building that is superior in many ways. Timber framing does not require kiln drying, surfacing, or transporting materials a great distance. TF can make use of trees that would otherwise be unusable in commercial lumbering practices. A timber framed structure can be built with tools that can be hauled into the woods by one person, in one trip. A well thought out TF home, using local materials, sized to your needs, can be built with less energy, and use less energy to maintain, than current building practices.

Timber framed structures have already proven themselves throughout time, and I see no reason to abandon them now. With rapidly rising energy costs I foresee a greater need for homes that can be built using as little petroleum products as possible. This means using the materials at hand and processing them as little as possible, and moving them the least distance.

As you can see, I am interested in the more traditional approach to timber framing. Building somewhat basic structures that have been designed to fill a specific need. By building a TF of local materials, you can take yourself out of the global supply and demand loop, and have a better control over the outcome of your project, and also keep your hard earned dollars in your local economy. I am not a proponent of pressure treated materials or gooping on chemicals at every opportunity, or building homes that are half windows. (I hope I don't upset people who do build the higher end homes, they are certainly beautiful, I just feel that may not be the most effective use of our energy)

As I stated in the first post, this is an ever evolving philosophy, as I learn more about timber framing I make changes to reflect new ideas. I am actively seeking a career in timber framing and writing down my thoughts and editing them has really helped my decide where I want my focus to be, and where I will draw the line as far as what I would feel comfortable doing in timber framing. I worked breifly for a contractor this summer, however there where too many differences in our view of the work we were doing and it did not work out.

I have my own views, however, I don't feel that my outlook is the only one to take. My ideals certainly don't agree with everyone elses, and I think it is important to maintain the diversity of the craft, even if we all don't agree with every interpretation of it.

Well, that's my long winded "breif overview". I would certainly appreciate some commentary and discussion.

Dave

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2839 09/04/06 08:59 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Dave I feel that your views are a good starting point, and I have built that way myself. It is a satisfying process to go through, but to build a career you may need to go out and visit some existing shops and see how they make ends meet.
You are NOT crazy, the world is crazy, and so to survive in the world you may have to have some "crazy" business practices.

something I've taken on as a philosophy lately is that you are going to pay for your building frame whether you see it or not. So why not put out a bit more and have something you can see and enjoy?

Traditional Carpentry and hand tools are a great way to build. Again, I encourage you to find someone who is already doing something similar and learn from them, even if it means doing some travelling.

Also, I think it's good you have the ability to appreciate all the timber framing methods, How else will you gain respect for your own methods?

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2840 09/05/06 12:28 AM
T
timber brained Offline
T
dms: I am 100 percent with you on your philosophy. In fact if I did not know better I would think that I wrote that summary on timber framing philosophy. My only weakness to this philosophy is the insulation product choice. It seems that the only flaw with traditional building practies was the lack of a proper insulation layer, leaving the houses cold and sometimes damp and horrbly inefficient. I hate to have to bite it and accept the plastic and chemical insulative materials(sips,ssps,foams,pik stuff,etc...) that serve the all important function of insulation. I still toy with the strawbale alternative but I have not yet studied enough about it to address it now. I have always dreamt of building a beautiful and super efficient home using only natural earth materials. Imagining that if the building were to catch fire or last long enough to rot to the ground, that there would be nothing left on site but the very materials that the earth spewed out. seriously tb

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2842 09/05/06 02:01 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
timber brained: I too have the same hang up with the insulation problem. There are some natural materials, but they must be treated with a fire retardant to meet code. I have one friend who is using chopped up blue jeans that comes in batts like fiberglass, but it is treated. I have long thought that you could use a woodmizer and build your entire house with materials from your own woods, from sills to shakes. The only hang up is the insulation. frown

What does the dark side have to offer Derek? wink

Thanks for the comments, if anyone has a conflicting viewpint I would love to hear it to provide a little contrast. I am enjoying this discussion.

I have a couple of calls to return in the morning regarding work, fingers crossed. smile

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2845 09/05/06 03:40 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
ok Derek, just to play the "devils advocate" here.
-where does your power come from and how much does it cost?
-what are the costs to that power beyond paying the bill?(pollution of the environment that we and our children all need, using up of non-renewable resourses, etc)
-how can you stand the noise????

and regarding foam, if it is good insulation then is foam saving pollution by using less heat/cooling?

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2847 09/05/06 06:43 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Sorry Derek, I should have figured that from your previous posts, just chatting it up.... keep pounding that chisel!

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2848 09/05/06 06:59 PM
Joe Bartok Offline
Quote:
it's not nice to point fingers.
Dare I ask which finger and in what direction it points? (Toward the heavens, perhaps?) laugh

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users