Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2860 09/15/06 01:40 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi DMS

Yes that is right, the planks usually were applied vertically on the outside of the framework and were up to 3" in thickness, and by all means they would do wonders to keep out the cold, and retain the interior heat.

NH

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2861 09/15/06 02:40 AM
M
Mike Shenton Offline
M
I got into timber framing because of my love for log cabins so I kind of like the fusion style or piece en piece, whatever it's called. Basically a timber frame with log or timber walls with daubing between the wall logs. You have the benefits of both worlds, log walls with minimum settling issues to deal with. That being said, on my own timber frame I used sips and it's the warmest, least drafty and quietest place I've ever lived.

Michael Shenton
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2862 09/17/06 02:11 PM
T
timber brained Offline
T
Hello all, Still the R-value of solid wood for insulation does not even come close to competing with the plastic crap we use today. In addition the SIPs have the added advantage of being a non interrupted insulation barrier unlike two by four framing with insulation in between. It seems SIPs have won this battle. But they are quite heavy and nearly impossible to install without a crane(boom truck). On top of that I still am completely defiant to put up a beautiful hand built, perhaps hand raised timber frame and wrap it up in a bunch of plastic. C*newman: Do you have any more info on the use of wool, websites, producers, etc... ?? I have heard of this before, but not very much, which made me think that it was outrageously expensive or not code friendly. I truly believe straw and perhaps wool may be the answers we are looking for. They both are completely natural, do not require lengthy processing leading to more energy consumption and thus more pollution( unlike concrete, but that is for another post). We just need some more education, advances in apllication technique, and easing of building codes, in addition to a more available supply. For instance I have yet to find a supplier in my neck of the woods(Woodstock,NY). I believe if more people starting using them ,by the law of supply and demand, more producers would start popping up. I love the thick walls you get using straw. They remind me the thick walls on old stone houses, which you can use as window seats and cabinets as well. As far as cellulose insulation, I dont know enough to throw in my two cents. tb

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2863 09/19/06 05:00 PM
M
Mike Shenton Offline
M
I installed my sips by myself without a crane including the roof panels.

Michael Shenton
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2864 09/19/06 09:47 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Does anyone have a timber frame philosophy?

That's a tough question. I would like to think I do.

I have never been very good at distilling the chaos into paragraph form, but I'll give it a go.

One thought is that I believe that timber framers (and all tradesmen) should be paid well for what they do. This, of course, assumes a certain level of professionalism and skill.

Another might be that I think we should use local materials and use them more fully. You can build beautiful and strong frames with lower quality, even crooked wood. It is a waste to ship perfect doug fir across the country to completely overbuild something. Locally available materials used to totally shape the built environment. It still should.

I think a lot of people introduce a quixotic quest for perfection into timber framing that can be quite humorous. To perfectly cut a poorly configured joint or a poorly designed frame is to miss the boat. It is important to keep things in perspective. I like to see old frames where the framer was simply building something. He wasn't obsessing over making dollar bill tight shoulders and perfectly 2 inch thick tenons. Make a good fit where it counts and keep it neat where it doesn't. The same thing any good carpenter is thinking today.

I think we lost something in terms of the approach to the craft that we did not rediscover on a large scale in the revival and subsequent timber frame boom.

Is some introduced standard of fit and finish keeping traditionally joined timber framing from being a more widely available (affordable) building system?

I would rather see beautiful designs and raw wood than poor designs and beautiful finishes.

Oh and one more--

I like the thought of frames being built by carpenters. But then again I have always been a bit of a luddite.

Anyone else have some philosphy to share? or comments about my thoughts?

cheers,

Gabel

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2865 09/20/06 04:47 AM
B
Brock Smith Offline
B
Hello all,

Gabel, your building philosophy has some great points. I'm often inspired by the people who frequent this forum.

Your post illustrates many parallels to my philosophy - I could just say "yeah, what he said...", but thought I'd add a little.

Material use has been a huge one for me lately. I love working through scenarios where one could alter plans to use local materials more wisely, and use materials where they are best suited (ie, avoiding the 'all season tire' approach to building).

I like the idea of regressing to a time where within your 'neighborhood', you knew of a few quality tradesmen who weren't reliant on large-scale manufacturers to produce a quality product.

Anyone else out there to add a few cents?

Cheers
Brock

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2866 09/20/06 07:52 PM
H
hayton1960 Offline
H
OK I will add my "10 pennorth" for what its worth!!
I cant really say yet if I have a framing philosophy as such being a very keen raw beginner, although I would say that what attracted me to the notion of building frames was that it was a long established traditional method which had almost died out. I feel quite in tune with Mr Sobons aproach to treating framing tradition with respect and making changes or developements only cautiously; mind you being from the UK I feel more at home with scribe method rather than square rule. I like the idea of maintaining and passing on a good tradition like framing; I am proud of the English tradition in frame building and its wider contribution to framing generally; I like to see frames and want to build some new ones. I like using hand tools I dont care for dust and fumes so much-until I read Mr Sobon's books I thought I was out of order to think like that in this neo plastic building age! At one time I thought green tree hugger eco people were nut cases, now I'm not so sure, the eco building thing is growing and gaining wider acceptance I think. Theres green eco builders merchants here now, inconceivable only a few years ago. Eco friendly paints insulation plaster etc not to mention a new generation of recycled materials coming on to the market.
I agree totally with gabel about using local materials. It leads to very distinct and varied (genuinely diverse) regional vernacular styles that are in tune with nature. It also leads to architectural forms which are ideally suited to the climatic conditions to be found in each region (eg steep roof pitches in Northern Europe to resist snow better)
As regards insulation/heat etc in days gone by. Dont forget that folks spent a lot less time at home, 12 or 14 hours out, working the agriculture or the industry or whatever, lots less leisure time as we think of it nowadys. Also I am convinced folks were hardier then, didnt NEED to be bathed in warm dry air all day and/or night, shower twice a day, wear clean clothes every day etc. If you had to carry the water in you didnt waste any!! They devised ways to economise on fuel consumtion. for instance box beds as used in Yorkshire northern Scotland (and scandinavia I believe, possibly other places) where the beds were built into a small wooden enclosure with a door to keep out draughts on a night (a bit tricky if you ate too many beans though!) They also made use of the body heat from animals kept in byres below the living area; They put huge granite lintels over the fireplace and blocks at the side to store and radiate heat generated by the fire, they used the sides of the inglenook as a seating area with built in settles (benches) or stools. They used earth as roof insulation in Switerland also I believe. Also of course if it was nippy they put on an extra jersey instead of turn the thermostat up a notch, much cheaper! (or split some logs or whatever they were active people then not so obese and diabetic and so on)
Just a few thoughts laugh

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2867 09/20/06 11:56 PM
H
H. Saras Offline
H
Hi Dave,

On the insulation question. I wonder if anyone has ever used as infill the small styrofoam peanuts they use when packing boxes for UPS etc. shipping. This would be a free and environmentally friendly insulation alternative. It might take some time to collect them. When you talk about wool, I assume you mean from sheep but there is also a product called rock wool which is a mineral and supposed to be a good insulator. Earth sheltered homes are interesting. Check our "permaculture", they have done a lot of research and work in this regard already

I hope to build a barn in about a year using the same principles that you mentioned, cutting by hand and using locally cut timbers and as many natural products as possible. I think you are on the right track. Keep going.

Haz

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2868 09/21/06 03:27 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I can't say that I have a defined TF philosophy, and I agree with most of the of the previous comments. The discussion has prompted some personal review. In an address at Guelph, Tedd Benson stated that his business was not timber framing but a service to improve the life of his clients. That seems to be a well considered role. Most everything I do falls into a one of a kind job, designed to fit needs and budget and I hope the work provides delight. I don't try to foist the unwanted or presume to know how someone else should live. A process of discovery, connection and fullfilled service is my personal target.

"Conviction is a greater enemy of truth than lies" - Nietzsche

"Ten dervishes can sleep comfortably under one blanket but two kings can not share an empire" - a Berber saying

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2869 09/21/06 10:08 AM
H
hayton1960 Offline
H
Haz

I recently heard about natural wool insulation while I was looking in a eco builders merchant locally here in the UK
It is made from sheeps wool and thats about all aparently. I think its new fleece, not recycled from old clothes etc. Aparently the sheep farmers cant sell their sheep fleeces easily for some beuracrappy reason so its a good new outlet for them.
I think wool wont burn readily as it comes from the sheep anyway, but this product might also have some additional fire proofing. It comes in batts (sheets) of various sizes and thicknesses. It is soft (no iritation like you get from glass wool or rock wool) And even if wool gets damp it still insulates.
The foam packaging peanut idea possibly not good health wise. If they burn during a fire (I assume that they are flammable??) they give off lethal fumes

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users