Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2896 01/01/07 03:32 PM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
EH, you didn't offend me, you only stated your opinion, which is what I had hoped for when I started this thread. One of the great things about timber framing is that it is flexible enough to allow us to do it in whatever way we are comfortable.

I have been making the move into timber framing for a while now, and I have several frames of my own to start cutting. I will spend the rest of my life working in wood, that much I am sure of.

I am not sure if you remember me but I did the excavation for the decks you did for Gail Mullen.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2897 01/01/07 06:09 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Dave,

I know who you are now. Of course I remember you. I had no idea that you are into timberframing. Well, have fun cutting your frames and if you might need some help you know where to find me wink .

Happy New Year

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2898 01/04/07 04:30 PM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
I shun adopting a philosophy as in my opinion abiding by a philosophy stunts the evolution of learning and personal growth and leads to that mid-life crisis.

I think Timber Goddess said it well and it moved me to tears.

"I can still go out in the yard before each project and select the perfect timbers for the 'perfect' bent. Some of them are clean and clear, but the real ones have little knots that look like eyes, that some small child will look at every night as she falls asleep, imagining."

It matters little the tools that are used or the philosophy we hold so long as we realize that the product we produce is an extension of ourselves and a legacy to the trade. Will it stand for centuries proud so that little eyes may look at those beams and marvel or will it crumble and decay like so many structures of the past which were built by laborer's drudgery rather than artisans and craftsmans passion. The true timberframer has passion which is reflected in his work. When it becomes just a way to pay the bills then something is lost.

Derek reflects this well in his post and boat building is a good idea. Every hand built wooden boat is named and christened and reflects the personality and purpose of it's owner and builder.

If I were to embrace a philosophy of TF, being a father, or life in general for that matter, it would be anything that cuts the amount of time spent limits the potential of the finished product. It is in this vein that power tools can become evil.

It always amazes me how hand clearing a lot and simply spending time on a building site throughout a year gives a completely different insight as to the location of the home vs. using a bulldozer. One can get an appreciation for the land and how it lays and interacts with the sun, wind, rain and elements of nature and how it interfaces with mans spiritual side.

A home is more than a box we live in. The builder who, regardless of the construction method used, understands this concept, embraces it and adapts the structure to fit the needs of the occupants will find that not everything can be a historical carbon copy. We must grow and evolve the trade just as our ancestors did not limiting it to a certain philosophy or style based on existing works.

Embrace Medieval works, European, Germanic, Scandinavian, Japanese, American and learn from non-traditional as well as traditional buildings. Look at the concepts behind a design and the soundness of it's joinery and materials. Use what is good and shun what is bad.

I guess this is my philosophy but I reserve the right to amend and change at any time witout prior notice! wink

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2899 01/05/07 07:56 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Reminds me of a passage in one of my all time favorite books, THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG, by Edward Abbey
Quote:
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2900 01/23/07 11:36 PM
N
nsmike Offline
N
I don't have a timberframe philosphy per sey; I just think, that when you cut down a mature tree, you don't abuse the privelege by wasting it. Using it in a structure designed to stand the test of time is the highest best use of a tree. I understand that a substaiably managed wood lot will produce a lot of other wood products like firewood and pulp. But when you get to a mature stand the resulting timber should be used in durable manner.
Mike

Mike
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2901 03/28/07 01:49 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Time for another BUMP smile

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2902 03/28/07 03:19 AM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
If I gotta work for a living.....

It might as well be something that makes people say..WOW

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2904 03/28/07 10:55 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
Where was our timber philosiphy when the USDA developed and implemented stick building as an alternative to costly timberframing ? Americans always seem to tend to gravitate towards , new , cheaper , better? , is something in our pioneer spirit to buck the system and try something new. To assume we know more than our fore fathers.
I say gentlemen and ladies , let us rise up and buck the system and statis qou and denounce stick framing as an inferior system for home building. Probably our children will buck back and denounce us and our timberframing ways , and bless em for it.
We should be proud and loud and maybe even ridicule stick building as wussy girly man construction.
Here are a couple ideas for bumper stickers or t shirts: Timber framers have bigger tools!
Go big or go home (tf pictured)
Timber frame? If ya don't know you probly ain't got one.

Timothy W Longmore
Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2905 03/29/07 01:36 AM
mo Offline
Well, there is nothing like the process and product of something that can be appreciated with your vision, your touch, your mind, and hell even the smell. I am a very curious person. I don't think I understand something until I completely understand. If you don't know why your computer or calculator tells you something then you don't understand. Maybe this is why I like timberframes and (yes timberframers, Genuine and prideful people I have met so far.) When I look at a timberframe I can understand why the building stands. You can look at the pieces for hours. Guessing on some of the forces, those hidden angles in there. You can see the challenge and you can see the strength. Other buildings not so much, except masonry, that's cool too.

I will not get into the machine deal but can relate to Thomas in Kentucky on that subject.

Now to the kicker. Why do you not see many timberframes on the beach? Why do you see them mostly in the mountains and the Northeast. Why do most people classify timberframes as traditional. Because they are. Do they have to be strictly traditional style frames. Absolutely not. I think that timberframing goes beyond a saltbox, cape, barn, etc. That's not to say I don't appreciate these, but there has to be more options . Why couldn't you do a timberframe in a Frank Lloyd Wright style? You can! It will take some time, but its possible. You can use timberframe for any style you want. I like bents. I like hips, different pitches and so forth. I like it all. I know that dealing with spans, loads, and other things limit free form, but I will try anyway. I think this timberframing needs to be more versatile in style. It's always fun to try new things.

And if I have to use metal to have that hip stand, I will. I know blacksmiths. smile

Re: Do you have a TF philosophy? #2906 03/29/07 11:23 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Mo,

well said.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users