Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Logs [Re: Stuart] #28615 04/29/12 11:24 AM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hello,

Even better and more pointed to your interest would be what forum colleague Richard Cassleman has offered previously here for sale - I thought it was in DVD form which might be a problem for you though being in Australia because of a different formatting platform used on some DVDs and players there - does it sound like I think I know what I'm writing about? No, I just mean that I've had problems in the past with Australian CDs or DVDs or whatever they are so checking into that before hand is maybe warranted.

I have a different idea than Dave does about the usefulness of log dogs but maybe where we agree is that were you to use more substantial bearers in any case your work piece would be better supported and less likely to move around so much. Squirrely logs jumping around and rolling under definitely cut into the enjoyment, not to mention the progression, of the work.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Last edited by D Wagstaff; 04/29/12 11:30 AM. Reason: reestablishment
Re: Logs [Re: Stuart] #28616 04/29/12 11:17 PM
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
Ive done a search for Richard Cassleman's technique and while I found lots of posts I did not find a how to. Could anyone point me to a link.

Re: Logs [Re: D Wagstaff] #28617 04/30/12 12:09 AM
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: D Wagstaff
Hello,

Even better and more pointed to your interest would be what forum colleague Richard Cassleman has offered previously here for sale - I thought it was in DVD form which might be a problem for you though being in Australia

I'm happy to consider purchasing DVDs or books. I am a great believe in paying for good information. If more of us were to do so that would make it more viable for skilled people to pass on their knowledge which would allow them to charge less and further develop their skills and knowledge giving us better quality information.

Unfortunately on topics on which I am well versed/skilled I know there are a lot of people out there charging for rubbish. It is one of the reasons I appreciate forums so much. You start to get enough information that you can begin to make reasonable decisions about what resources to purchase while at the same time getting referred to good resources.

Re: Logs [Re: Stuart] #28618 04/30/12 12:41 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Not to dissuade people from purchasing information, there is plenty of useful info, here in forum form, and via U-tube and the like. Plenty of ideas on different techniques. So, continue with your system, change it up and find first hand what works for you. The biggest thing you can do now is practice, imprint the use of the axe into your neurological system. Even if the practice you develop is off in some manner once imprinted it is easy to correct. You will see the next time you pick up the axe it will be easier each time and blisters heal at about the same rate.

I have been learning to swim via forums and u-tube. 45+ years old and could never swim, I just swam my fist 200 IM!

Re: Logs [Re: TIMBEAL] #28620 04/30/12 02:17 AM
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
I know from some of my other endeavors that you can spend a lot of time learning bad habits and then have to spend more time unlearning them.

Much of the info on utube looks like it belongs on someones personal blog rather than broadcast to the world. I've seen a few vids where they were touting themselves as experts but from my limited knowledge they didn't seem to know what they were talking about. In one vid the person doing the hewing and conducting the workshop said that he had not sharpened his axe since he got it and that it did not need to be sharp since he was cutting with the grain. Now I'm rather new at this but I doubt that could be true.

Re: Logs [Re: Stuart] #28621 04/30/12 02:26 AM
D L Bahler Offline
Stuart, I can send you some information. Richard's (the Northern Hewer) stuff is very good but keep in mind, he is using American methods and American tools. Your methods must be matched to your tools to yield good results.

For example, when juggling with an american axe, I do it American style, standing atop the log and splitting from the ends. If using a German Bundaxt, I find it works best to do it German style, standing beside the log and splitting down through the juggle. It is very important that you use your tools as they are designed.

Additionally, a goosewing should not be used with the same technique as a Pennsylvania pattern broad axe. Yes you can do so, but you will not get the best results that you could be.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Logs [Re: D L Bahler] #28622 04/30/12 02:35 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
If you have no skill in hewing any hewing you do will advance you in the right direction. As with any thing, you have to use your own discretion and judgement. You may only pick up one small bit of info from some errant video but add it to your library, don't through out all due to some bad part. Part of the fun in learning a new skill, is finding all the pieces and putting them together.

Re: Logs [Re: TIMBEAL] #28625 04/30/12 08:01 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Don,
regarding the use of dogs I have found there is no universal answer.

For example, the logs I am hewing right now are all substantial -white pines yielding 10,11,12, and even 13 or 14 inch wide faces at 8 1/2 inch width. So these logs would require enormous dogs to be held in place. But their weight will not be overcome by a striking axe, if firmly seated in notches on substantial bearing logs.

For smaller logs, it becomes necessary to secure them somehow as notches alone might not be enough to hold them in place.

Personally, I don't like driving spikes into my neatly hewn surfaces, especially where they will be exposed to the exterior like on my current project. So I avoid it whenever possible. I also am not fond of the fact that dogs allow you to hew only one face at a time, which is a disadvantage in our style of working, where parallel faces are worked at the same time when 2 or more people are present.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Logs [Re: D L Bahler] #28629 05/01/12 11:20 PM
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
D Bahler said that I should try and get everything as neat as possible. I had thought that that might be a good idea and to show my progression.

Not so good:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/Weaverofduart/2012-04-30170301.jpg

Better:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd481/Weaverofduart/2012-04-30170247.jpg

It is a bit hard to tell fro the photos but there was about the same amount of wood removed from each notch. They do go Straight down but don't look like it because I leaned over the log to take the photos

Re: Logs [Re: Stuart] #28634 05/02/12 07:36 AM
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users