Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Timber Cart Ideas? #29445 07/21/12 08:12 PM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
Anybody have any success with some shop built timber carts? I really like the Guild's but I am going to try to save a little and make one myself.

I really like the Guild cart's height. This is key for me because I like to be able to load them off of sawhorses. If they get to low its too much fighting for me. I can get some good wheels at Northern tool.

I also think the counterweight is a must, again for solo operation.

I'm use to machinery, but I have a confined work space on a small job and have never gotten around to building one. I'm betting that there are some good ideas that would be appreciated.

FWIW, I remember a great cart at the Lyle Shelter project in VA a few years ago. I think it might have been McGann's. Anyway it was awesome and I wish I had taken a better look at it. It even had a rubber bike horn. too cool.

Thanks

Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: mo] #29446 07/21/12 08:22 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Super cheap? I picked up a 4 wheel garden cart - sort of a glorified wagon. Was 100$ or less at the local garden place. Pack away the folding sides. Added an extension to the handle so I could pull / push it with 20' sticks on it. Bolted on some 6x blocking. Big pneumatic wheels. Would roll over sawdust and chips from chopping tenons. Could manage 4 8x8s by myself. Fit in between my layout and joinery horses.

Wanted the TFG style cart too, but this worked for me. Cut a barn with this method, stacking and staging was key. Everything was setup so I could access and stack myself. Only had a lift for a day when timber arrived from the mill. Moved 90% of the sticks myself.

But that cart is pretty sweet. Used one at Heartwood.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: bmike] #29447 07/21/12 08:23 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Bonus, on site I put the sides back on and it was my mobile tool cart for pre assembly and raising.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: bmike] #29449 07/21/12 08:41 PM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
Yo Mike,

So you didn't have any problem with 4 wheels and rough terrain? That's what I really like about the TFG cart is that you can use the center of gravity to move yourself over site conditions.

I was thinking the same "V" in wood with maybe some ply to serve as structure. I really need to figure out the axle configuration going through the bottom of my wooden "V's".

Moving heavy things is fun....

Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: mo] #29451 07/21/12 09:31 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
No issues. Rough gravel drive. On a slight incline, and then a small bump into the shop.

But I staged everything reverse stack to how I wanted it on the truck. Made 4 piles 6' betweeen, 2 bunks high each side. Would roll in and out. Finished timber went to the end of the drive to await truck. Had a few smaller piles way down the drive. Never an issue. Except in snow. As to be expected.

Big bouncy tires was key. Just enough pressure to be able to roll over the bi gravel with the weight. Too high and you get stuck. Too low and you work too hat to move 4 sticks 30'.

Look for some old MTB wheels. Should have a 9 or 10mm skewer . Pull the existing skewer and run some rod all the way through. Making the dropout would probably be the toughest part.

Last edited by bmike; 07/21/12 09:33 PM.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: bmike] #29454 07/21/12 09:53 PM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
I'm currently using a two wheel bike trailer to move my timbers which is frankly a little low, but otherwise more than adequate. Welding / brazing a simple frame out of scrapped bikes to make a cart which used a pair of 26" MTB wheels would be child's play if you have any experience with metal working. If you want some inspiration into the types of things that you can build up from scrap bikes, check out Atomic Zombie. By comparison to his constructions a cart should be a day's work if you've already got the bikes!

Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: Jon Senior] #29455 07/21/12 10:03 PM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
nice, nice, nice. great info thanks!

I've got a metal worker associate / friend that should be able to handle this for me while I work timbers, got em shaken out for a spell.

so do you think the load rating for the TFG cart is based on the wheel capacity or the frame?

Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: mo] #29457 07/22/12 12:54 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Likely the connection of the wheels to the frame. Unless you get some super light carbon spoked race wheels... Then the wheels.

The connection needs to be stout enough not to bed or buckle under what turns into a point load.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: bmike] #29461 07/22/12 02:08 PM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hello,

maybe not strictly meeting all the criteria but it is a timber cart idea, one that has never let me down except when I have to pump air back into the tires after a long period of non-use.

And in relation to bicycles I can attach the handle onto my seat post and tow stuff along behind.

Individual components can be used separately or in combination.

T handle retractable and removable.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Re: Timber Cart Ideas? [Re: D Wagstaff] #29463 07/22/12 03:42 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
In one of Jack's books there is a picture of his timber cart. Mostly wood, with a steel axle. I've got to build one soon to get my 47' timbers through a 16' wide door.

Good to see you around again mo.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users