Grüese Mittenand
Greetings from Switzerland everybody

I've been studying a variety of traditional building forms here for the past few weeks -Berner Oberland Blockbau, Mitteland Timber Framing, as well as some fascinating Medieval Castle architecture, such as the stunning framing of the roof of the castle of Thun, and the incredible wooden bridges over the Aare also in Thun, as well as the fascinating Romanesque churches in the area that would make quite the interesting study for aspects of Medieval Geometric design. -12 churches built in the 930's, some with aspects dating back to the 700's, and one can be shown to have been the site of a church since the mid 2nd century.

I think I could write volumes on what I have seen so far, such as solid wood houses built in the 1500's, and so forth.

Best of all, I have the benifit of staying with a Swiss master carpenter who can help me to understand all the aspects of the sometimes very confusing Blockbau style.

No pictures for now, you'll all have to wait a few weeks. This computer is too slow to bother with that!

Last edited by D L Bahler; 08/03/12 01:22 PM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/