Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Photo of Carpenters and Kits [Re: Roger W Nair] #29774 10/28/12 04:27 PM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hello,

I was waiting for that one because I'm no Stanley expert, (I own a Clifton version, new though) Miller Falls also made one - don't know who was first. It looks like one of the basic combination planes. Would that be a 45 or 55 since one was more elaborate than the other? Since your focused down there you might as well know that the shoe question gets more puzzling with the discovery of yet another pair of loose shoes. Huh- with one pair I thought it odd but maybe a fluke, but two pair of shoes nobody is wearing? What does that mean?

Maybe Roger is wise to stick to the objective evidence but to me the two outer members of the crew clearly share DNA.

Could the type of fence help with location? Maybe not unrelated to a date in time either.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Make that 3 pair of shoes if I'm not wrong, for a total of 6 shoes - and counting.

Last edited by D Wagstaff; 10/28/12 04:40 PM. Reason: Additional facts revealed.
Re: Photo of Carpenters and Kits [Re: D Wagstaff] #29777 11/02/12 11:46 PM
R
Roger W Nair Offline OP
OP Offline
R
So where are these guys? The split rail fence indicates a district with native woodlands, almost anywhere in the Eastern States up to the Plains. The evident success of the crew suggests to me high growth industrial towns nearby. So I'm guessing in a very wide corridor somewhere between Philadelphia and Chicago. Can anyone focus on the location?

They are setup for a wide variety of work ie timber frame, full frame and balloon frame to finish. Two miter boxes and full kit for all indicates high production.

Re: Photo of Carpenters and Kits [Re: Roger W Nair] #29778 11/03/12 12:25 PM
W
Will_T Offline
W
Hey Roger -

I do like photographic mysteries like this related to the trade and its variations...

Though I don't know if we can expect to figure out where this was shot, we can as you suggest, narrow it down some.

It is not here in NNE, nor anywhere else where stone walls dominate.

They are well outfitted and tooled up, that does suggest an area doing well, or in a cyclic boom-time or period of rapid growth.

The slate ripper might well be a clue, slate roofs tend to occur in geographic pockets.

The lack of conifers says something. Does anybody recognize the species pictured?

Re: Photo of Carpenters and Kits [Re: Will_T] #29779 11/03/12 02:45 PM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hello,

There are at least four species of tree to distinguish, me, I can't go further than to guess the prominent one near the house is oak and that there are three young apple trees there from 10 to 20 years old.

The chimney configuration would be an obvious regional clue here in Europe but I wouldn't know the significance over there, also those windows seem particularly long and narrow as if it were a school building.

Re: Photo of Carpenters and Kits [Re: D Wagstaff] #29836 11/24/12 09:04 PM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello everyone tonight

Well I always like to look deeply at old photos, and in the background is what I belive to be a new church with the high windows

In my experiences I know that parishioners joined together to build church buildings, and I believe that this photo represents just that

food for thought
NH

Re: Photo of Carpenters and Kits [Re: northern hewer] #29837 11/25/12 01:32 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello again everyone tonight

The shoe puzzle--here is my slant--

the soles look like a special make. like metal coated edges--well I believe that they are for adzing and could be worn for protection--and just looking at the quantity of adzes in the foreground and the age of the younger man maybe protection was in order--I know that I was issued way back when-- metal boot coverings for adzing work, which by the way I never wore

I believe that the picture as we see it probably dates from the early 1900's--no hydro or telephone poles along the road allowance in the background, as well as the style of trousers on the extreme left hand man

One of the men seems to have a slightly larger tool box- the second man from the left, I take him to be the leader of the group

food for thought

NH

Re: Photo of Carpenters and Kits [Re: northern hewer] #30609 05/08/13 01:34 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
The photo came up again. It looks like it may be later than we think.

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/05/08/the-magnificent-seven/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users