Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Windows #29807 11/21/12 05:58 PM
A
AustinB Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, guys, I am a retired woodwork teacher, living in Normandy (France). I am planning to add an oak-framed conservatory, and I would appreciate any suggestions you could let me have regarding the installation (and sealing) of windows. I plan to have some apertures simply double-glazed, and others which will open.
Many thanks,
Austin

Re: Windows [Re: AustinB] #29825 11/23/12 04:23 PM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
Hi. Not sure how much help I can be, but I'm also in Normandy and currently building a timber-framed house. I've seen methods of applying glazing to the outside of a frame which allows for frame movement, but might not sit aesthetically too well with standard window frames. I would say that it depends a lot on the overall design; whether you plan on having glazed openings sat next to opening ones or whether you have one facade which is simply glazed and others with framed windows.

In other words, I would say that it depends a lot on the design of the structure. If there's a real mixture on each facade I would think that fully framed (fenetres fixes) would be better (although more expensive) from a consistency POV.

Feel free to get in touch by PM (I'm near to the border between the 27 and 76 (east of Rouen). Currently racing against the weather to get the house watertight.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users