Jim Rogers Offline
J
Thanks for posting the link.
Nice job.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Unique TF barn ? [Re: Jim Rogers] #30025 01/01/13 11:46 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Now that I can see the frame in detail, how it goes together, the joint design, etc. I can say with some confidence that this has some definite Swiss design elements to it.

The framing system here is not far from what you might find in the norther art of the Canton of Bern.

And the fact that the bottom portion was clearly used as a milking parlor strengthens this connection to the Canton of Bern, as does the original location in Wisconsin.

Looking through your pictures immediately brought my mind to the impressive farm structures of the Swiss Plateau. This barn seems to have some very clear connection to this tradition.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Unique TF barn ? [Re: D L Bahler] #30109 01/21/13 12:35 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello All,

I know I'm coming to this conversation late in the game but I have seen this rafter tail configuration before, in Ohio and I believe Pennsylvania, can't remember. It could be of several European origins depending on where the barn is found. This one is most likely Swiss or German.

The name of the technique is described in several cultures. I have translated them all to English and/or closest meaning.

sprocket beam
stitch beam
bracket beam
dragon beam (note, this is similar to what you find hip rafters resting on.)

Sometimes they are attached with a tenon, (sometimes a through with wedge,) to a secondary rafter plat, often they are not, though the configuration is similar, and function the same.

Here are a few references:

"The Roof in Japan Buddist Architecture," M.N.Parent, 1985

"The History of Roof Work Illistrated," F. Ostendorf, 1908 (German)

"Japan's Folk Architecture" Chuji Kawashima, 1986

R. G. Knapp, can't remember which one. I think "China's Vernacular Architecture," 1989

"Wood and Wood Joints, building traditions of Europe and Japan," K. Zwerger, 2000

I'm not 100% but I believe this makes reference also:
"The Craft of Log Building," H. Phleps, 1967 (German) trans. Eng. Lee 1982

Regards, jay

Re: Unique TF barn ? [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30114 01/21/13 03:08 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Although the photos are not explicit, what I see in ordinary carpenter speak is a header carrying crippled ceiling joists that overshoot the plate forming a cantilvered or perhaps a jettied support for the rafters. The technique of joining rafters to ceiling joists is not rare, using headers and cripples in a roof system is common but an entire roof system of headers and cripples is unique to my point of view. Since I do not see sprockets, brackets, stitching or dragons why not call it for now a Rooster Beam.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users