Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 96 of 136 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30132 01/23/13 01:34 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Well--real wintery here--probably will hit -25 tonight--I think back to my teen years at home--a night like tonight would mean 2 wood stoves stoked right up with large elm blocks, the ones you couldn't split if your life depended on it, but boy great heat!!

Thanks for the great dialogue you two--From what the 3 of you are saying, the suggested raising sequence would be alittle unusual from a normal raising, but similar to the senario I put forward.

I happened by chance, to run across a couple that lives very close to where this church stood, I am waiting patiently for further conversation, I understand that they were members at one time and have photos of it--can't wait to see the exterior view and the roof lines--from what I can gather, it may have been a German Lutheran church in the beginning,(which puzzles me somewhat, because of its location)-- but changed hands a couple of times over its lifetime--I will keep you all updated

Thanks again, maybe someone else will join in

enjoy

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 01/23/13 01:36 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #30178 01/26/13 02:47 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

here is a shot of the Casselman Handsleigh that I reconstructed ----I got it out a while ago, just to try it out, and my great granddaughter came along and wanted a ride--what do you think --she seems to be enjoying a ride in her great,great,great,great grandfather's handsleigh doesn't she?

enjoy

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 01/26/13 02:51 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #30179 01/26/13 03:21 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Beautiful work and she looks very happy... smile

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 01/26/13 03:22 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30256 02/07/13 01:43 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

well just surviving this winter seems almost impossible, wind, cold, snow--now another storm heading our way--have to batten down the hatches

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #30257 02/07/13 05:08 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hang in there Northern Hewer, I feel your pain. frown

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30264 02/08/13 03:02 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Thanks for coming on and words of encouragement--you know as I think back to those years gone by, and as I was chatting with my 101 year old mother today--it passed my mind about the morning that I struck out for the barn in the dark, couldn't see anything, the wind was howling, snowing and cold, and I run right smack into a snow drift up to my chest, I pushed my way through , and ran into another, this time almost as high as my head--well I pushed ahead, and finally reached the barn door that as I opened it the steam flowed out--in those days there were no fans, so the heat and moisture would build up to high levels--then I began to melt off, you can imagine I was covered with snow which made my clothes soaking wet, with 80 eyes watching me as was usual waiting patiently to be fed, cleaned, watered, it was not a comfortable experience to say the least--soaked to the skin, and wondering about the return trip back, the same way I came--had to get the milk cans to the road, for pickup, what a session--each can weighing 80lbs, one in each hand, a good thing I was in my prime, but that was farming in the 40's, I could hear the snow plow coming, actually barely moving , going forward as far as possible, backing up and then taking another charge at the immense snowdrifts--these trucks had motors probably no bigger than some cars then--trying to do an impossible job--the road was drifting in right behind them, the higher the plowed drifts the worse the drifting--what a sight when the rays of morning came along, you can imagine what an impossible task it was to get the milk cans over the plowed drifts at the end of our driveway

Well got to go

enjoy

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #30265 02/08/13 04:12 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello NH,

I like your stories. It is grand that you can still have a conversation with your mother. May she continue to thrive.

Regards,

jay

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30269 02/09/13 03:17 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

well we are realy getting hammered, what a storm--but those poor survivors of hurricane sandy, they sure don't need more misery--

Thanks for your kind words about mother, she just keeps on going, it seems weird when my sister who is 84 is sitting there talking to her, mother looks younger--hair done up, nails painted--memory pretty good--she never had an easy life for sure--but I must say if it wasn't for modern medicine she wouldn't be here--

She was always in the house when I came home from school, just up the gravel road a piece, what memories of days gone by,--dad was just home from Alaska, he went there for 2 years on the construction of the highway in 43 and 44-saw -50F in a tent, had alot of interesting tales, they played alot of checkers to pass the time, he really enjoyed that game for sure--said he was the champion checker player of alaska--I really am not sure about that, but of course I believed him--he would let me win once in a while--he would play my favorite game then snakes and ladders, as I got older the serious things like learning carpentry work, and timber work became #1--never any short cuts--he expected perfection and you know am I ever glad he took the time and effort to make sure that I did just that!!!

well got to go

enjoy

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #30270 02/09/13 07:36 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello Northern Hewer,

Indeed, this is a storm not to be trifled with, we will see how bad it truly gets.

Reading your description of you mother and sister, reminds me of my Mother, Grandmother and others in my family that had all been blessed with long years. From memories of the 1870's to the 1930's, I was privileged to be taught and regaled by elders that set the tone of my existence. As a timber wright and indigenous skills teacher, I find every day their lessons priceless. I'm just beginning to realise just how rare people like your mother, and others are. There are so many "bottle necks," of oral traditions forming, that I'm afraid when we pace, much will go with us, and the only hope is the "hunger," for traditional knowledge from so many young people.

Stay warm and be well

jay

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30364 02/27/13 05:49 PM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Thanks jay for coming on i also enjoy your comraderie

well been busy getting up the wood for next winter to enjoy--if i am still here--there seems to be so much sickness around, especially in the younger generations--my friends i grew up with are all long gone now--i don't know if it helps but i never smoked one cigarette, of course i enjoyed other amenities--

The warm spell here has caused all kinds of run off problems, but I have been expecting and waiting for it to happen, always does like the sun coming up and going down--water always seems to be watching and ready to take advantage of every little weakness that us humans seem to forget about--

it won't be long until the farmers will be getting that farm itch, they get it about 4 oclock in the afternoon, and really bad after 3 nice days of sunshine, especially when they see little dry spots showing up on the exposed tips of the fall plowing--i used to laugh when my son and i would be attending a farm meeting, and i would say to him at 4 oclock, watch the guys ahead of us--slowly they would slide their butts back and forth for about 15 minutes--looking around--and then faster, and then up they would get and disappear--in about 20 minutes there would hardly be anyone left--the presenter would practically be talking to himself--

nice year in the bush not too much snow and lots of company watching us--one day there was as many as 12 deer watching with curiosity as we worked along--just outside the circle a lone coyote sat waiting, more or less watching dinner walk around--i suspect there was many more not far away--

it is sort of wierd when i was young there was hardly any deer, if you saw one you were lucky, no coyotes at all, no wild turkeys, thousands now--bears come and go at times, moose all over, isn't that wierd or what?--must be that demon climate change-we blame everything on that--i wonder what caused all the climate changes in times gone by, couldn't have been the automobiles, o yes i forgot now its seems that cows are to blame, belching too much gas--have to get rid of them i guess--

well got to go

enjoy

NH

Page 96 of 136 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users