Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need Assistance With Unusual Joint Design #30520 04/11/13 06:18 PM
W
WBatdorf Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Greetings All,

I am in need of some expert guidance regarding a timber joint design. But first, a little background information...

I am designing an 15 ft x 15 ft Appalachian Trail type shelter to be built as an Eagle Scout project with and for one of the boys in my Scout Troop. It is my hope to expose my entire group of boys to the art and science of timber framing through this project. We will build the TF shelter at our Scout camp (located in Pennsylvania) to be used and enjoyed by Scouts for years to come.If this project is successful our plans call for two additional identical shelters to be built.

I have not figured out how to attach a sketch or photo to this posting but I would send one via e-mail to anyone willing to help me with this topic if my description below is insufficient.

My design is for a 3-sided lean to type TF structure with two bents using principal rafters. We will be using Eastern White Pine for the project which is readily available from a local sawyer. I wish to have a cantilevered beam in the bents that would support a top plate on which the rafters would sit on the open front side of the shelter. I want to eliminate the typical corner post under the plate to provide an open front and side corners to the shelter. The cantilevered beam would extend 60 inches beyond its last post to create the open corners. The roof surface area to be supported by the cantilevered beams (2 of them) is 15 ft x 8 ft for a total of 120 square feet.I would expect to use 3 principal rafters in addition to the two bents to support the roof.

I have not been able to find a joint design that addresses a top plate intersecting a cantilever beam without a supporting post beneath. I would be grateful for any advice, direction or sketches you can share with me. Once I know what the joinery should look like I will proceed to sizing the plate, rafters and cantilevered beam.

If it helps, I have built a scale model of the structure and can supply a digital photo of the structure via e-mail to anyone willing to coach me through this topic

Thanks in advance for your guidance. I am always humbled by the level of expertise in the TF community.

Best Regards
Bill Batdorf

Re: Need Assistance With Unusual Joint Design [Re: WBatdorf] #30521 04/11/13 06:26 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello Bill,

I have facilitated several timber frame shelters on the AT. I was also the Wilderness Education Director for almost ten years, just off the AT in the Michaux State Forest in a boy's program, near Gettysburg, PA. Please feel free to contact me off line, I would be glad to help. We can then exchange design more easily.

Regards,

jay

Re: Need Assistance With Unusual Joint Design [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30522 04/11/13 11:41 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
It would also help us all if you could post some pictures of any design you consider.
Thanks

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Need Assistance With Unusual Joint Design [Re: Jim Rogers] #30523 04/12/13 12:07 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Bill,

Have you looked at the shelters in the 14 Small Frames book available on the TFG Store? I believe 1 or 2 of them started as AT shelters.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users