Sad but true, oak is commonly used for cross-ties around here. Junk logs (those that they don't bother to "grade") sell for $200 to $300 per thousand bf - but most of these logs are actually fine for timberframing. Many are sold as "junk" simply because they don't exceed 14" in diameter. They will almost all make 6x8's, possibly 7x9's and often larger. Once cut into crossties, they bring about $400 to $450 per thousand b.f. Problem is that sawmills around here are set up to cut 8'6" timbers (for cross ties), and loggers will often cut "junk" (small) logs to 9' lengths.

Oak is valued most where it is least available. Here (eastern KY) it is not valued so highly. (a hickory, sycamore, beech, etc. 7x9 cross tie brings about $18 to $20 - they will pay you $1 or $2 more for an oak cross tie, which I think is a shame.) A land owner here often gets only 1/3 of the price that the junk logs bring at the sawmill. (if they're big enough to "grade" then the landowner gets 1/2) So, if you (the land owner) have smallish oak logs, you can give them up "on the stump" to loggers for $60-70/thousandbf., or you can try to do something useful with them. I chose the latter when mine came down in an ice storm.

-Thomas
my timberframe house web page