Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hewing Workshops - Now Open #30837 07/25/13 06:39 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
We'll be hewing some timber for our barn project. We're opening this up for instruction as the first stage of the workshops with this project. We intend to have this entire project as an open instructional, hoping to pass on some of the traditional knowledge.

This barn is built in a surviving style, one that continues unbroken to this day. This method of timber framing is NOT a revived method like American timber framing is.

If you are experienced and just want to get your axe in gear (pun intended), then there is of course no charge.
IF you have no experience or just want to learn something new, cost is $50 per day per person. Come for however many days you want.

I can demonstrate American style or Central European style. My preferred method is the Central Europe, using a long handled broadaxe and a short handled goosewing.

If interested, see here for more details:
www.riegelbau.wordpress.com

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Hewing Workshops - Now Open [Re: D L Bahler] #30839 07/26/13 01:57 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Great that you are trying to pass on your traditional hewing technique--I have did a bit of that myself, I am sure that it will be well received--

Actually constructing a building using the hewn timbers takes the experience to a real high level--go for it--I wish I lived closer--

NH

Re: Hewing Workshops - Now Open [Re: northern hewer] #30840 07/26/13 07:41 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
I hope it is well received! I just need to seek out the proper avenues for advertising it, getting the word out.

I'll be gone this weekend, when I get back I will put up some good pictures of how nice a goosewing can leave a timber. In past projects, I haven't had the need to go to this level of refinement. It sure take a good while, but boy I love it! Nothing like a well-shaved timber, and this white pine is a dream to work with.

I look at the maple and hickory I have to work with later on with fear. Ha, they're not really that bad, just glad I don''t have any ash...

Re: Hewing Workshops - Now Open [Re: D L Bahler] #30841 07/27/13 02:33 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Yes I agree --white pine is top, but let me tell you that I reconstructed a mid 18th century 3 bay Drive shed using white ash (the original type of wood in the original)--it sure was a challenge to say the least----

--The next morning after the raising I visited the site, the morning sun was streaming through the brand new framework, what a lovely site for sure, but one thing that struck me was the daintiness of the timberwork--being ash and very strong everything was undersized to what I was used to, working with pine in most other instances, and white in color

--I hope everyone who can make it to your site will experience what I have many times

your friend NH

Re: Hewing Workshops - Now Open [Re: northern hewer] #30845 07/29/13 04:21 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes I have worked with ash, it's not my favorite.

This pine is a joy, I wish we had a local supply of it.

Re: Hewing Workshops - Now Open [Re: D L Bahler] #30864 08/03/13 04:27 AM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: Hewing Workshops - Now Open [Re: D L Bahler] #30866 08/03/13 10:43 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
That is a good example of how durable the heart wood of white pine is and how susceptible the sapwood is.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users