Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Slab on grade detail #30869 08/07/13 11:31 PM
J
Jamie_Irvine Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am trying to organize a timber frame with a slab on grade foundation and have reached a bit of a stumbling block. I have found an option for post to foundation wall connection in Tedd Benson's "The Timber Frame Home" but how it will look on the inside seems odd to me. He has suggested having the foundation wall go approximately 4-6" above the top of the slab, then place a treated 2 x 12 flat on top of the wall (flush on the inside, a slight ledge on the outside to support an exterior SIP or wall), and have the post tied to the foundation wall with a tie down strap. That makes sense, but I wonder how this could be finished on the inside to look proper? I first thought maybe a tall baseboard would hide that 7 1/2" lip but then there will be a ledge the same depth as the post, before reaching the actual inside face of the exterior wall. I'm really sorry, this probably makes no sense..... i have a picture but couldn't figure out how to post a picture on this? Hope someone can offer some help....

Re: Slab on grade detail [Re: Jamie_Irvine] #30870 08/08/13 12:01 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Your plan sound acceptable for a slab on grade project. What you are basically doing by following Ted's advice is creating a "sill beam," out of PT and masonry. Finish motif is the same as if a solid wood sill beam was employed, depending on your wall and bent configuration.

As for posting pictures, that can be a bit tricky. First the photo must be somewhere on the 'web,' Second, you are going to find an 'icon' (4th one in from the left just past the envelope.)Third you will see insert instructions, pick one. Then a request to, "Enter the complete URL for the image you wish to display." Do that and hit enter.

Regards,

jay

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 08/08/13 12:02 AM.
Re: Slab on grade detail [Re: Jay White Cloud] #30871 08/08/13 12:59 AM
D L Bahler Offline
Also, you can type manually the tap - [img] - and then paste the image url, then at the end put the close tag [/img] this then will tell the forum software to display the enclosed URL as a picture and not simply a link.

Last edited by D L Bahler; 08/08/13 12:59 AM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users