Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HELP!-Need to fix crooked column already installed [Re: Ray Gibbs] #31000 08/30/13 08:23 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi MBE,

First let me apologize before hand it my reply sounds curt, it is not aimed at you, but at some of the work that I am observing in the first two photos.

Timbeal wrote: "This begs the question what kind of contractor and engineering people are working on this project?"

I could not get past what I saw in the photos of the the work being done, and Timbeal's question above goes to the heart of this...

There is nothing to do about a twisted post in a vintage frame of this type, comprised of historical fabric, unless that frame member is presenting as compromised, which leads to why it was employed in the first place without the applicable restorative work performed first, and with proper "good practice in means, methods and materials," as it applies to the timber frame craft.

As an active participant restoration timber framing, and traditional Barnwright, I would go further to add that whenever repurposing a vintage barn frame, the use of "large steel brackets" and "we will fix with "liquid wood" as per structural engineer recommendation," indicates dilettante skill set.

Rebuilding vintage wood with epoxies,structural adhesives, and/or internal reinforcements is a very specific skill set, and should only be executed by a seasoned Timberwright and/or under the guidance of a PE with a historical timber framing experience, especially if the structural member is going to be subjected to any of the moment of inertia a timber frame can receive from seismic, weather, or functional load events.

I DO WANT to be helpful, but the scope of your challenge is not going to be effectively addressed here in this forum through simple dialogue. There is just too many mitigating circumstances to consider. I have faith that most of the responders to this post thread thus far could address the issue in person, but we could do little than point out other concerns in only a written discourse. Please feel free to contact me, or perhaps other qualified TFG members for detailed advice.

Regards,

jay

Re: HELP!-Need to fix crooked column already installed [Re: Ray Gibbs] #31001 08/30/13 08:23 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi MBE,

First let me apologize before hand it my reply sounds curt, it is not aimed at you, but at some of the work that I am observing in the first two photos.

Timbeal wrote: "This begs the question what kind of contractor and engineering people are working on this project?"

I could not get past what I saw in the photos of the the work being done, and Timbeal's question above goes to the heart of this...

There is nothing to do about a twisted post in a vintage frame of this type, comprised of historical fabric, unless that frame member is presenting as compromised, which leads to why it was employed in the first place without the applicable restorative work performed first, and with proper "good practice in means, methods and materials," as it applies to the timber frame craft.

As an active participant in restoration timber framing, and traditional Barnwright, I would go further to add that whenever repurposing a vintage barn frame, the use of "large steel brackets" and "we will fix with "liquid wood" as per structural engineer recommendation," indicates dilettante skill set.

Rebuilding vintage wood with epoxies,structural adhesives, and/or internal reinforcements is a very specific skill set, and should only be executed by a seasoned Timberwright and/or under the guidance of a PE with a historical timber framing experience, especially if the structural member is going to be subjected to any of the moment of inertia a timber frame can receive from seismic, weather, or functional load events.

I DO WANT to be helpful, but the scope of your challenge is not going to be effectively addressed here in this forum through simple dialogue. There is just too many mitigating circumstances to consider. I have faith that most of the responders to this post thread thus far could address the issue in person, but we could do little than point out other concerns in only a written discourse. Please feel free to contact me, or perhaps other qualified TFG members for detailed advice.

Regards,

jay

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 08/30/13 08:36 PM.
Re: HELP!-Need to fix crooked column already installed [Re: Jay White Cloud] #31002 08/31/13 03:24 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Hey Jay, I think sometimes it's better to go easy on the judgmental critique and try to get to the questioners thinking and bias, there is a heavy demand for an answer behind MBE's question, in a very clueless bossmanish manner. My personal goal in posting here is to impart how to think about the problem at hand and not provide some pat answer. So it is up to MBE to think it through, because he controls the factual evidence, I literally know only what is provided. If MBE continues to insist that he is only concerned with the post between the brackets and the floor, then he, wittingly or not, is putting us on.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users