Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Timber Tools" Chisels #31029 09/15/13 05:39 PM
C
Caleb Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Anyone familiar with the chisels from Buffalo Tool Forge,

Buffalo Tool Forge - Timber Tools

I know that Barr chisels are currently king but these seem like they could be a worthy alternative. Any thoughts?

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: Caleb] #31030 09/15/13 06:02 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi Caleb,

It is a subjective view that Barr "was" king, but I believe Buffalo Tool Forge is as good now for various reasons. Many us that use these types of tools have turned to some of the Japanese and European smaller forges to fabricate our tools to our exact needs. Good to chat with you.

Regards,

jay

http://www.johnneeman.com/en/contacts
http://www.northbayforge.com/index.htm
http://www.uedahamono.com/

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: Caleb] #31040 09/18/13 05:55 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Caleb, I've looked at the link at the new bevel edged framing chisels and frankly I don't get the design. If the beveled sides do not extend to the cutting edge, what is the purpose of the beveling other than designery whiz bang appearance? Plus at a forty dollar premium (over the other Timber Tools straight sided chisels and the Barrs), I would give the beveled chisels a pass, unless my understanding of the design developes into an appreciation of some advantage.

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: Roger Nair] #31045 09/20/13 06:51 PM
D L Bahler Offline
I would guess the entire length of the steel tapers toward the edge, that is to say the steel is thicker toward the handle and narrows at a light angle up until the cutting edge bevel. The side bevels would appear to follow this taper. This is supposition entirely, since I cannot see a side view of these. If that is so, the bevel would be helpful, and the shape of the steel would also make the chisels incredibly strong and super efficient at transferring force down into the tip, compared to a flat piece of steel.

This is all conjecture -I'm just flat out guessing-

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: D L Bahler] #31046 09/20/13 07:05 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Good guess David, these are generally well made chisels with good steel and temper. For the beginner that I feel does not have the "finesse" of working with the white and blue steel (glass brittle) of Japanese chisels, these are a good choice.

For a custom chisel of "excellent" class hand made to order, you can not beat Auntine (aka original John Neeman Blacksmiths) Janis, the owner and a friend, makes some of the finest tools I have seen.

The bevel can be reworked on Buffalo chisels, and as for the "flared" version, these are a type of "rondel" tipping for certain kinds of work reminiscent of some ancient Nordic (and Swiss) log chisels.

Regards,

jay

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: D L Bahler] #31048 09/21/13 11:58 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
David, it is a normal feature of vintage and Barr chisels to have taper in thickness from tip to socket. The only bevel chisels with side bevels that do not reach the the cutting edge, that I am aware, are MHG and Buffalo Forge. The question remains is new grinding profile worthwhile, in extra cost and in craft?

Jay, the use of the trading name "John Neeman" is in controversy. Some believe that Janis Nimanis and Autine are hijacking the trading the name "John Neeman" without just ownership of the name "John Neeman." John Neeman Tools still exists, with the founder, Jacob, who as "Nebruks" posted in this forum, Forestry Forum and others and produced super high quality videos, launched a company and a web based marketing campaign that has established "John Neeman" as a world wide brand name.

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: Roger Nair] #31049 09/21/13 12:20 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Oops, when I wrote "Janis Nimanis and Autine are hijacking the trading the name "John Neeman" " I should have written "trading name"

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: Roger Nair] #31050 09/21/13 01:12 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Quote:
John Neeman Tools still exists, with the founder, Jacob, who as "Nebruks" posted in this forum, Forestry Forum and others and produced super high quality videos, launched a company and a web based marketing campaign that has established "John Neeman" as a worldwide brand name.

Hi Roger,

We will all have to see how this works itself out in time, but for the record, Jacob IS NOT a black smith, never has been and probably never will be, but a nice chap just the same. I have known both gentleman from before "public exposure," and yes Jacob has hired some other folks to keep making "some nice" tools and he does "great marketing" of all there leather, wood, and steel under the name "John Neeman" which Jacob wanted to call Janis as it is Janis Nimanis's name translated to English.

After Janis was badly injured in an accident, there was a division in the group. Janis is not "hijacking" anything as he is the original Blacksmith and "name holder," but never really like the idea of being called John Neeman. "Brand Naming" being what it is in business, can really stick ounce out in the public sector, so in time we will have to see what all transpires. I think Jacob is probably a much better businessman, and marketer that Janis will ever be, but I really could careless about that...I need good tools by the original blacksmith that made the ones I saw some 4 to 5 years ago, and that would be Janis.

I will restate, that if you want really great tools, custom fitting, and the original John Neeman (aka now Auntine) tools that launched the company with superb quality and artistry, then I would purchase from Janis, as he is the original blacksmith. It is a subjective choice which you like better, I just know Janis and his abilities, I don't know the subcontracted Blacksmiths working with Jacob - not a blacksmith but a marketing guy that is a great leather and wood worker ( timber frames too ? )

Regards,

jay

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: Roger Nair] #31051 09/21/13 01:12 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Quote:
John Neeman Tools still exists, with the founder, Jacob, who as "Nebruks" posted in this forum, Forestry Forum and others and produced super high quality videos, launched a company and a web based marketing campaign that has established "John Neeman" as a worldwide brand name.

Hi Roger,

We will all have to see how this works itself out in time, but for the record, Jacob IS NOT a black smith, never has been and probably never will be, but a nice chap just the same. I have known both gentleman from before "public exposure," and yes Jacob has hired some other folks to keep making "some nice" tools and he does "great marketing" of all there leather, wood, and steel under the name "John Neeman" which Jacob wanted to call Janis as it is Janis Nimanis's name translated to English.

After Janis was badly injured in an accident, there was a division in the group. Janis is not "hijacking" anything as he is the original Blacksmith and "name holder," but never really like the idea of being called John Neeman. "Brand Naming" being what it is in business, can really stick ounce out in the public sector, so in time we will have to see what all transpires. I think Jacob is probably a much better businessman, and marketer that Janis will ever be, but I really could careless about that...I need good tools by the original blacksmith that made the ones I saw some 4 to 5 years ago, and that would be Janis.

I will restate, that if you want really great tools, custom fitting, and the original John Neeman (aka now Auntine) tools that launched the company with superb quality and artistry, then I would purchase from Janis, as he is the original blacksmith. It is a subjective choice which you like better, I just know Janis and his abilities, I don't know the subcontracted Blacksmiths working with Jacob - not a blacksmith but a marketing guy that is a great leather and wood worker ( timber frames too ? )

Regards,

jay

Re: "Timber Tools" Chisels [Re: Jay White Cloud] #31052 09/21/13 02:25 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Jay, you wrote, 'Janis is not "hijacking" anything as he is the original Blacksmith and "name holder," but never really like the idea of being called John Neeman." But johnneeman.com will take you to Autine and Janis, so Janis is using the trading name created by Jacob. By the way, Janis Nimanis in English is Janis Nimanis but perhaps be anglicized to John Neeman but better yet Jan de Man.

Last edited by Roger Nair; 09/21/13 02:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users