Rating: 5
Page 100 of 136 1 2 98 99 100 101 102 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #30637 05/16/13 12:42 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

I noticed above --Margaret at Macdonald and Lawrence Timberframing LTD has got quite a project on the go--64000 bd ft of timber to hew, and just to put that in perspective for those that can not comprehend quantities well here is my take--

Through a full season at UCV the waterpowered saw mill there running 7 days a week from may till oct would cut out 20000 bd ft of lumber, so that number above is equal to 3 seasons of logs, that is quite a pile for sure, and I know because I purchased them for quite a few years

There is going to be a few blistered and calloused hands for sure!!--

that brings me to remember my hewing team, their hands would be a disaster, blisters, and bandages wrapped around to try and give them some relief--the pine pitch--it was bad once it became coated on a handle, actually tear the skin that covered the water blisters--I am just saying it as I have experienced it myself when I spent many days hewing in the heat early in my career--I would smile when a new recruit came on board--thought he was a pretty good man, but the broadazxe brought him down a notch or two

I also remember Earl Calquhoun --gone now-- but quite an old guy he came on board when he was about 60--could really tell stories and entertain--when he was young, I suppose in his mid 20's, he enlistred to go out west on the harvest excursion-he ended up in the red river valley--wheat country--

Well wheat out there did not grow short like wheat here in Ontario probably twice as high, well let me tell you he learned to wear leather gloves, he thought he was quite a man until they threw him in a 60 acre field, a team of horses and one wagon, when it rained the clay there would gather on the wheels and literally stop any forward motion, and your feet would weigh 50 lbs each--well earl was a good hewer but let me tell you one thing you didn't touch his gloves--

Earl was quite a rugged individual andhe would be hewing in one location and I would be in another not far away--well where did all the young girls go--right over to earl to take his picture, used to burn me up!!!

Morley Warner was another lad he drove the horses when we ran the tread mill to produce horse power, it would just about drive him crazy everyone would want to pet the horses--he would mutter--"wish I was a horse"

well got to go

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #30797 07/16/13 02:00 AM
N
OP Offline
N
well hello everyone tonight

Been a while but still busy with issues, slowing down somewhat now---

been a lot of chat going on, looks like everyone is busy with one project or another--all really challenging--wish everyone the best!!

I had a lad stop in with his broadaxe to get a handle installed, I really enjoyed helping him out, he also wondered if I could help him out with the maker's stamp , the name on the axe is RAND, for the life of me I can not come up with any information, is there anyone out there that can help

Thanks in advance

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #31024 09/14/13 01:54 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

I was just wondering if anyone had any information concerning the "RAND" maker's stamp on the broadaxe that I rehandled, the owner is really interested in its history--I can't seem to find any info on the web to help him out

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #31025 09/14/13 05:49 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
I have never heard of that maker. I didn't find anything online, but I did find that there is a Broad Axe, Pennsylvania. I have never had much luck finding info on the old tool makers. I have a Chapman broad axe that I use for all of my hewing.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Dave Shepard] #31035 09/18/13 02:07 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Thanks Dave for your try--appreciate it--

One thing that I seem to remember, is that there was a hardware company named McNally-Rand at one time, does anyone have information on this Company?

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #31039 09/18/13 05:54 PM
S
sakry1 Offline
S
I need this info too, please tell me if you find something, thanks!

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: sakry1] #31044 09/20/13 12:38 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

I was just wondering if The "Rand" trademark on the Broad axe might be of English origin realizing as I do our connection with Britain's hardware manufacturer's during those early years

Maybe someone could comment on this hypothesis

I am not one to give up easily--surely there is information out there-------

Thanks

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 09/20/13 12:39 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #31047 09/21/13 01:48 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

One other scenario I am tossing around is that maybe "rand" might be an abbreviation of a longer trademark

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #31053 09/21/13 02:55 PM
D L Bahler Offline
It's also someone's name. Possibly a small maker who just stamped his name on his tools when he made them. It's very hard to say with just one example though

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: D L Bahler] #31055 09/22/13 01:24 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Thanks DL--I needed that input because that is my real feelings also, it no doubt is a person's name, or a company trademark, just trying to cover all possible bases

it is a nicely done Broad axe with well executed lines, and good tool steel inset lines--not made by a amateur manufacturer for sure

Well I am going to motor on with my research--might get lucky
it is hard to believe that no records exists

It doesn't appear to me that the axe is one of a kind--too well manufactured--it carries the later head style, being placed in the centre of the blade as later improved patents.

NH

Page 100 of 136 1 2 98 99 100 101 102 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users