Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Drawboring [Re: D L Bahler] #31112 10/02/13 07:42 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello David B,

For the sake of this discussion and what you just shared, I must also share once more that 90% or more of all bracing in traditional timber frames work only in compression, and any "tension" effect is from "binding." In the last 5 years we have collectively seen, taken apart, removed, and/or site surveyed hundreds of barns in Southern Illinois, Indiana and Ohio (among other places) a conservative 1/2 of all brace pegs are in failure of comprised due to lack of relish. The reason that pegging evolved in those regions was for exactly the reason that Tim, et al, have shared...ease and facilitation of raising. These pegs do little if any work in climate or seismic events. They do tend to keep the brace "in play," where others fall out, however, even with the pegging, many braces still dislodge due to complete peg and tenon failure.

Regards,

jay

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 10/02/13 07:45 PM.
Re: Drawboring [Re: Jay White Cloud] #31113 10/02/13 11:15 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Older barns with not so solid foundations can put loads on members in unpredictable ways. And then factor in a strong wind. I suspect there will be more than just brace peg relish failure.

Re: Drawboring [Re: TIMBEAL] #31114 10/02/13 11:16 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Chuck in a long leaky roof to compile the problem.

Re: Drawboring [Re: TIMBEAL] #31118 10/03/13 03:25 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
You got it Tim...

These "poor creatures" have gotten the heck knocked out of them in the century or so of standing. We even had a nice Dutch Barn and threshing barns with some "relish failure," in the "anchor beam," and "swing or bull beams."

What you might find interesting from our other part of this conversation, is in the northern areas where you find they have not pegged the braces, you can often find the barns have had small shims or wedged pounded into the brace mortise to "tighten things up." You will on occasion find this with pegged braces as well, but no wear near as often. I agree it is a personal choice, but I do believe the wedge brace is superior, (perhaps subjective?) but it can perform all the same tasks as a pegged brace, it does not require boring a peg whole, can be serviced while within the frame, and re-tightened should there be some type of tectonic event.

I have also speculated and found reference in text, oral accounts, and research, that "pegged braces" are a vestigial style from the "let in brace" common in scribe rule. This system of brace (nod to David Bahler smile ) was common through out the mountain regions of Europe. It is one of the few bracing systems, when executed in certain design parameters will work in both tension and compression. Though the tension capabilities are limited, these frame types, when working in concert with all given components are some of the most resistant frames ever cut to tectonic and chronological distortion.

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 10/03/13 03:26 AM.
Re: Drawboring [Re: Jay White Cloud] #31119 10/03/13 10:10 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Correct, Jay. The barn I referenced indeed had blocks under the lower end of the brace. I don't recall if the top plates had blocks or not, the bottoms did for sure, maybe 3 inch blocks also not clear if they were wedge shaped. It was on an unofficial barn tour with some other forum members, a connecting girt frame.

Let's not leave out butt cut with spikes, as an option. There was a lot of that in my area in the early 1900s.

Re: Drawboring [Re: TIMBEAL] #31120 10/03/13 02:35 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Let's not leave out butt cut with spikes, as an option. There was a lot of that in my area in the early 1900s.

That is not one to forget for sure, and was more common at one time than folks think.

For cutting "contemporary" frames in a "traditional" fashion where a client wants braces, but has a limited budget (normal brace cost $75 to $150 per brace) there is the "let in trunnel brace." These are supper fast to cut, and can be installed after the frame is up. Not many surviving examples left, (maybe more hidden in house walls.) With this type of brace you "toenail" with one or two 25mm to 30mm peg (1" to 1.25".) The also make for a unique look as well.

Re: Drawboring [Re: Jay White Cloud] #31129 10/07/13 09:15 PM
C
csievers1 Offline
C
Do you have a picture of the "let in trunnel brace"? I am not able to picture it

Re: Drawboring [Re: csievers1] #31130 10/08/13 02:14 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi Csievers1,

If you can get a copy of "Wood and Wood Joints, building traditions of Europe and Japan," by Klaus Zwerger you will see many examples and explanations. There are other text out there as well with good documentation of this technique.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users