Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Support long hips from outside? #3134 10/26/06 12:12 PM
Joe Miller Offline
Posts pulling out of the ground probably won't be a concern (that roof looks real heavy), but, depending on how windy it is there, you never know. It looks a symmetrical structure, so torsional effects may not be a concern either, depending on the site. I was just throwing out some of the things that popped into my head, some of which may or may not be relevant once investigated a little bit.

Timlocks are what we call those screws (at least around here.) They are great things, and, have a lot of uses in a modern timber frame structure. But, when loaded in shear, there ulitmate capacity is function of how big the shaft of the screw is, and, they tend to be fairly small diameter (1/4" ish). They hold things together in withdrawal real well though, and, provide some clamping when they get screwed together.

As some folks have already mentioned, a lot of the weight of that structure is in the overhang, and, if there was an additional piece of wood between the two dimensional lumber braces to provide direct bearing of that hip, you would only be relying on screws at the heal, which could make for a much better scenario.

As far as the corner connections, it may be adequate. Having the stub of the post run by is the saving grace though. Lags into endgrain tend not to be a great connection, and, isn't doing a whole lot in this case. But, screws into the stub are a good way to go. Helps tie everything together, and, certainly helps transfer any uplift from wind to the post if that is a concern. An additional screw down through the lap connection to tie the two together there may be well spent.

But, otherwise looks good, and, I'm sure you'll figure the rest out.

Joe

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3135 10/27/06 10:42 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much for the good advice Joe! You've given me some very good information!

Don't suppose any of you know of a Structural Engineer familiar with structures like these, in the San Diego area?

Chris, I'd still like to hear some more about those structural facias, and braced hips, sounds like they might help me out.

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3137 10/27/06 11:35 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
Derek, I design/build garden and landscape structures, and I'm especially interested in Japanese Style, especially with curved roofs. I've already designed quite a few similar structures as this one, but this time I'm, I don't know, trying to push the envelope as far as the broad overhang goes.

I don't think this will work though, too much overhang!

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3139 10/28/06 12:15 AM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Derek, I really like my curved roof designs!
Here's my 10'x12' Azumaya (Dutch Hip) being built!

I'm looking in to having the rafters cut on a CNC machine, that would be interesting to watch, and I wouldn't have to clean up all the sawdust!

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3141 10/28/06 11:40 AM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
To Joe Wood:
I posted instructions of how to find a structural engineer through the "Resource guide" under the thread heading "Structural Engineer."

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Support long hips from outside? #3142 10/28/06 02:00 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
Jim, where is that Resource Guide? I found the ResourceGuide.pdf but there aren't any Threads in there.

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3143 10/28/06 02:51 PM
Joe Bartok Offline
Joe Wood, that is awesome work! Gotta love those curves. smile

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3144 10/28/06 07:11 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Joe, there is no forum there, therefore no threads.
The resource guide is a database of names and addresses.
Click on the "search" link and you'll go to the search page where you can follow the instructions on the thread in this section of the Ask the Experts titled "structural engineer".

It's all there, you just clicked the wrong link...

Jim Rogers

Link to search page: Click HERE for link to search page.....

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3145 10/28/06 10:25 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
Feeling pretty dense today Jim. Do you mean I should do a search on that page like in this screenshot?

it only came back with one Engineer, way up in Truckee, Ca.

Re: Support long hips from outside? #3146 10/30/06 02:20 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Yes, Joe that's what I meant.
You can widen your search by not entering a state, and then you'll get all listed.
Using their web page addresses you can check each one out, and you may find someone who is also licensed in CA.
You may not, but it's a start.
Good luck with your project and research.

Jim Rogers

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users