Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Modern Solutions to Thatching? #31239 11/01/13 05:39 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
I am working on a design for a structure which may or may not get built some time in the following years, this being barn structure replicating an old world style. To stay authentic, the massive roof of this structure can be covered either in straw thatch or wooden shingles. I would really like the archaic look of a thatched roof, but logistics stands in my way.

Being in Central Indiana, what would be solutions to the problems of thatching, namely the lack of resources locally (unless I were to go into all the wetlands and cut water reed for the next 3 years...) the risk of fire, and to moss issues associated with the fact that this is likely to be built in a wooded area.

I just want to explore some possible solutions to these problems, and see if it is realistic to pursue thatching as a viable option, or whether I should just focus on shingles.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Modern Solutions to Thatching? [Re: D L Bahler] #31242 11/02/13 07:41 AM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
For fire, you can board out the roof before thatching with something like Hardiboard (Not sure exactly what was used or is available to you, but this was done in the UK in the renovation of a thatched cottage that had burnt down.). This prevents a fire in the thatch from propagating through the house. There are also flame retardant treatments available. I'm not sure how much of a problem moss is other than visually.

I'm not a thatcher... my experience comes from watching TV and growing up in parts of the UK where some houses are still thatched!

Re: Modern Solutions to Thatching? [Re: Jon Senior] #31243 11/02/13 04:09 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for the tip,

This would be in replication of the old style of the Berner Mitteland, or the Bernese portion of the Swiss Plateau. Specifically a late medieval/renaissance technique.

In this style, as with many south-Germanic styles, the roofs would often be boarded underneath the thatch, forming essentially a 2-layer roof that is less prone to fire and a bit longer lasted.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users