Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When to drill peg holes? [Re: Jim Rogers] #31309 11/10/13 02:39 PM
N
NeilGouallo Offline
N
The wood removed when? still don't understand sorry :P

My timbers were first cut a little over the ordered dimensions, then dried and cut again down to the expected dimensions.

When I started working with them, I had to adjust my reference sides to find my "pefect timber". After that, I layed out just before cutting for each timber.

Re: When to drill peg holes? [Re: NeilGouallo] #31310 11/10/13 04:08 PM
Will Truax Offline
Removed when you roughed out your mortises.

Short term climatic changes of rain wind and swings in humidity, do not effect how a timber seasons which is a years long process, after which there are only seasonal percentage point or two swings in MC. The only exception to this is prolonged exposure to intense sunlight which hyper accelerates drying on the exposed surface and effects radial shrinkage and how the timber checks.

I was only answering your original question as to what people do and why and what are seen as advantages in one way over another, and suggesting there is little need to worry about damaging your joinery with over draw.

This your first project is a learning process, consider maybe doing some of each, and then let time tell you what it might.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: When to drill peg holes? [Re: Will Truax] #31311 11/10/13 04:42 PM
N
NeilGouallo Offline
N
Ok! I got it..

Thanks for info. Climate is special up here, but I guess timbers are pretty dried now, even if they still take showers regurlarly..

I might try to drawbore on couple of joints, but I'll not do it on critical places.

One more question: drawboring means that we automaticaly use tapered pegs? What about overdimensioned pegs?!

Re: When to drill peg holes? [Re: NeilGouallo] #31354 11/22/13 03:28 AM
C
collarandhames Offline
C
Drawbore if you understand which direction to offset. even a little. one eigths will not be too much, but you have to have your head wrapped around it. As common practice, we drawbore all but braces, which get drilled in place once posts are plumb.

Re: When to drill peg holes? [Re: collarandhames] #31366 11/26/13 09:14 AM
N
NeilGouallo Offline
N
Nice to hear about the braces, that's one place I didn't want to drawbore as the bird's mouth joints on rafters.

I unfortunately couldn't raise my frame now before winter so I had to store my bents and cover them on the deck. I was done with fine adjusting two of my three bents but couldn't make the last one because of bad weather here in the arctic and the night taking place now.

I'll have to continue in spring time, brace, plug and raise.

I assembled my bents and stacked them on each other before winter, but they are not plugged yet. Hopefully I'll not have two much gaps on joineries, we will see that next spring!!

As mentionned earlier, my timbers are quiet dried already and they have been outside under different weather periods since june, and the pre-assembling look good so far.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users