Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31690 12/29/13 10:39 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Regional in Hallowell, I shall try to attend, as long as it is not in August.

Interesting to hear from people on the board. I have voted through out the years, with hardly any knowledge of the people I was voting for, just the info on the ballot. It would be nice if said runners would discuss issues on the forum. Perhaps that would open some knowledge and help things grow. How about a requirement that runners must come out in the open? Let us get to know you and your views.

Re: What part can we play to keep the Guild afloat? [Re: Will Truax] #31693 12/30/13 12:04 AM
Will Truax Offline

Another shot at shifting the threads title to one of positivity and throwing water over the gunnels >

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31698 12/30/13 08:59 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Ellen,

You might well be confusing me with K F Hines. I am K F Hume and currently live about 3000 miles from Maine !

As a 501c3 organisation with the recently agreed mission statement "The Timber Framers Guild is a not-for-profit corporation organized as the centre for timber framing information, to train people in the craft, and to promote timber framing to the public" it might be argued that Guild members should possibly be seen more as enthusiastic supporting philanthropists engaged in helping the board to achieve this mission rather than deriving personal benefit by being members. i.e. Ask not what the Guild can do for you - but what you can do for The Guild.

This forum goes a long way towards providing low cost public timber-framing educational benefit and also provides additional benefit in respect of many other associated activities like woodland management, timber conversion, historic building research, craft training, social and cultural practices, etc.

I am very pleased to see another BoD member show up on the forum and this goes some way to helping satisfy the initiative proposed by Tim Beal above.

"Stat Attack"
Ellen is the 6061 person registered to use this forum. The Guild has about 1500 paid up members so the obvious persons to contact regarding obtaining additional financial support to maintain the Guild mission is already known to The Guild.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31701 12/30/13 02:02 PM
E
Ellen_Gibson Offline
E
Sorry about that Ken - you're right- different person - good discussions for sure - thank you - and I'm hanging onto my sentiments about being positive looking into the future.
Cheers,
Ellen

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ellen_Gibson] #31706 12/31/13 02:05 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Hi Ken,

I see you've posted some suggestions elsewhere, but I still have not heard from you.

If you don't want to reach out to me, please reach out to another BoD member or our Program Director. Ellen is head of the Membership committee. All the BoD members with contact information is here:

http://www.tfguild.org/about/guild-personnel

Also, feel free to contact Brenda Baker, who is our program director (and recent BoD member) - brenda@tfguild.org

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31707 12/31/13 06:03 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
i keep seeing good discussion but I'm not seeing many ideas.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31710 01/01/14 03:19 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Kevin / Mike,

Being able to provide good positive useful ideas is very much dependant on having a sound understanding of the full nature of the problem.

I have been made aware that the decision to employ an outside management company to run The Guild has now been overturned with the TFG office has now moved again from the management company premises at Reston, VA to Becket, Massachusetts where Sue Warden is now acting as Administrative Secretary and Brenda Baker as Program Director. There is no Executive staff for the time being.

Explanation / Reasons ?

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
last issue of scanling (Alicia Spence) [Re: Ken Hume] #31711 01/01/14 08:46 PM
F
floyd mcdermitt Offline
F
I read the wonderful article about Alicia. Nothing but the truth was there she was a wonderful person and a great guild member and worker. There was never any thing she would not tackle. With her resignation it will be real hard to fill her spot to the degree she did it. None of us will never know the reason she left I do not know if the board really cared since there comments were she left.
I know I had talked to her about a building a church was going to try and restore here in the county. After looking into it was decided it was not a true timber frame structure so it was not pursued. I talked to her at the Vicksburg project about a shelter here in the county, similar to what was built at the forest service project in Heflin Al.

Re: last issue of scanling (Alicia Spence) [Re: floyd mcdermitt] #31712 01/01/14 10:23 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Floyd,

I for one cared deeply about her place in the TFG, and worked hard to try and get her the tools she needed / wanted to stay around... she will be missed, personally, and professionally.

And yes, members of the BoD cared.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31713 01/01/14 10:27 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Hi Kevin / Mike,

Being able to provide good positive useful ideas is very much dependant on having a sound understanding of the full nature of the problem.

I have been made aware that the decision to employ an outside management company to run The Guild has now been overturned with the TFG office has now moved again from the management company premises at Reston, VA to Becket, Massachusetts where Sue Warden is now acting as Administrative Secretary and Brenda Baker as Program Director. There is no Executive staff for the time being.

Explanation / Reasons ?

Ken Hume

Hi Ken,

I guess I was hoping you'd give me (us) some feedback on why you left, and what you think would make the TFG better, in your eyes. Since you brought that up early in this thread.

Much information regarding this past year has been covered in members emails, Scantlings, Burlington Conference, BoD minutes, etc.

I don't really think that should affect what would make the TFG a better organization, more valuable to members, etc...

Blue sky? What do you want your TFG to be?

www.mikebeganyi.com
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users