Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
What are we going to do after the guild is dead! #31493 12/19/13 08:49 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
The guild is currently on life support and fading fast. I am a sixteen year veteran with the guild and a life time member. I think we need to have a brisk discussion of what we as members can do to either save our guild or decide what and how we can further the craft post mortem. The board has had several years to get the guild affairs in order since the down turn in the market. I like Joel McCarty and still think of him every time I think of the guild. He was a good front man for the guild. Executive directors come and go and should not be blamed for the guilds current condition. Every year we elect new board members and with the overlap in terms we keep continuity in leadership. The board is tasked with being at the helm and I hold past and current boards responsible for the mess the guild is in now. I think it is now time for a major shakeup of the guild. I feel the only duty on a national level is to publish scantlings and the journal. The guild needs to be broken up into regional groups with its own BOD and be more accountable to the area’s they serve. This will encourage more regional projects, regional education, and local fund raising and support. On a national level maybe send one regional director to represent the region. I understand that the guild has international members and each area could have its own affiliation related to the guild. In looking at the 2012 audit, membership accounted for $116,391 and publications $135, 470. Greatly lower dues on a regional level and add on a magazine subscription to cover the $135,470. Overall the dues will be higher to start with but once the regions get their acts together and start projects to generate revenues these expenses will come down. If you look at the audit you see that conferences and workshops generated $149,151 and cost $236, 963 the same thing in 2011. It’s no wonder why the guild is in such poor shape. The regional meeting s cost a fraction of this and is sponsor supported. I think a good healthy debate wills if nothing else let the BOD know what the general rank and file membership think.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31495 12/19/13 09:37 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Me personally I would say if the guild dies, we start over.

I think the answer to our problem is education.

Not saying we are uneducated, but perhaps we need to turn our focus on education -not just of the guild members, but of the public.

Look at organizations like Heartwood, Fox Maple, etc. These folks are doing a good job at educating people -often people who want to learn out of pure curiosity.

I also look at an organization I know fairly well -Holzbau Schweiz- This is, in a way, the Swiss equivalent of the Timber Framers Guild. They have a national organization that exists to help professionals in the wood-building profession (timber framing and log building) but also have regional branches that exist mostly to educate young people in the practices, largely to ensure that traditional and sound practices survive.

I'd like to see an organization with a focus more like this, although I know it's not all what I want. I'd like to see a timber framers guild with a focus on training carpenters. And guess what, I feel as if doing this would really result in what the guild has wanted all along, a revival of traditional skills.

I think the best way to do this would be to do like Holzbau Schweiz has done, organize sectional and regional divisions that use local instructors to teach local people, probably teaching them the local traditions. Holzbau Schwiez, for exxample, has various 'Secktionen' or sections -one such, Sektion Berner Oberland, is located in that region, and has a school to educate young carpenters on the building customs from that region. They have local carpenters supporting the organization that also give the school opportunity to have students come and see the work -the shop work, the on site work, etc. And it works quite well. I know all this because a good friend of mine works in the organization.

We don't have to do things like this, but I think it is a good place to look. I really like how this organization works. A major purpose for their existence is to preserve the traditions in an age where modern convenience might cause young carpenters to take shortcuts and abandon the old practices -like what happened in the US a century ago.

If the guild doesn't do this, maybe we should take the initiative and organize it ourselves. Not side stepping the guild, but maybe making an organization that could work with the guild.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31496 12/19/13 09:45 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for starting a discussion.

DL - do you participate in the Apprenticeship and Journeyworker Program?

-Mike

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31498 12/19/13 09:57 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Mike,

No I don't. I don't know if what I do would qualify, since I don't do things with the North American methods. Also what I am describing would exlude me from being able to actively participate any any kind of an educating role, since my expertise is outside of the realm of what I think this should be focusing on.

Am I correct in thinking the Apprenticeship program relies on timber frame shops to take on a student and teach him through work? Am I also right in thinking the program is not recognized by the US government?

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31499 12/19/13 10:08 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
DL -

A good start here:

http://www.tfguild.org/apprenticeship

It is recognized by the Gov.

I do think the vision of education is important. But I'm not going to speak now. Just listen, if others chime in here.

-Mike

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31500 12/19/13 10:15 PM
D L Bahler Offline
OK I checked out the documentation. I was mistaken, it is federally recognized.

Does the Apprenticeship program involve any sort of classroom education, or is it shop-based.

The Holzbau-Schweiz is similar to an apprenticeship program. Basically it is a trade-based program that works within the existing Swiss education system. It's a 3-year 'education' that includes coursework in the school -in the case of Holzbau Berner Oberland the school is in the city of Interlaken- and hands on experience with a participating firm. Note that these firms do not strictly practice the methods taught by the school, they also use modern methods like concrete and steel construction.
I am not sure if it is classed as such, but it would be in the Swiss system a 'Hochschul' in Switzerland after primary education, you go either to a 'Hochshul' or to the University. The Hochschul is where you learn a trade like carpentry, blacksmithing, baking, etc. The University is where you learn to be something like a doctor, engineer, etc.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31501 12/19/13 10:21 PM
D L Bahler Offline
I personally feel like we should maybe expand what we offer if we wish to be successful. Holzbau Schweiz works because their traditions are common and widespread throughout most of the country. We can't work like them, because there are not enough timber framers around.

But we do have more things we could ring under the umbrella, like log building for example, or bridge carpentry.

I think if we'd have a system that included an education basis with classroom (or online course) instruction and real-world work with a broad basis, we might be able to expand our reach.

I think it would also be good to have something somewhat less than the apprenticeship program -because lets face it, Americans don't like to commit to things- Maybe something that is accumulative.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31523 12/21/13 12:10 AM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
Holzbau-Schweiz sounds similar to the French Compagnon system. Essentially you either go to college and work your way through a series of diplomas to become a "qualified" carpenter (School system) or you join the Compagnons de Devoir and train with one or more companies / carpenters. Traditionally this culminated in a "tour de France" where you would travel around the country learning with master builders in different areas in order to learn the full range of building styles and methods used in France. The program still runs, and I believe, still operates on the same principles.

Tedd Benson (not sure if he's still an active member of the guild) has a lot of experience of this system, having trained at least one Compagnon that I'm aware of.

Not sure if this helps the discussion at all mind.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Jon Senior] #31531 12/21/13 05:48 AM
D L Bahler Offline
Jon,

it's kind of similar. It was actually created to provide something sort of similar to the French and German guild systems. The Swiss have never had and still do not have a guild system like other European countries. The closest thing is town guilds, but these are important only in the cities like Zürich, Bern, Basel, etc. and don't matter that much in the country and villages. But, you don't have to go through the program, not everybody is a part of the guilds, and really probably a very good portion of good carpenters aren't affiliated. The 'Master' carpenters around toady didn't learn from this or any other organization, they learned from their parents or from experienced carpenters that they worked for, much like things work in America with most carpentry professionals.

What I like about this system is that their primary existence is to promote the traditional practices in the public sector and to support those who have such businesses, also to get carpenters to work together and help each other.

I don't know how much the guild does to help timber framers, to promote the art by upholding its constituents.

I think it would be great if we have a system that people could come to who are looking for a timber framer (or log builder, maybe), and this system could help them sort through the options and find what they are looking for -express up front the methods, connections to tradition, etc. used by a timber framer.

Last edited by D L Bahler; 12/21/13 05:50 AM.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31534 12/21/13 02:24 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Maybe I’m in the minority. I don’t like the idea of the apprentice program. The whole approach has been to create a class of timber framers that are “Qualified” to timber frame. Somewhere in the past I had seen a purposed standard that the guild was working on for architects to add to their drawings that required a journeyman or higher certified framer. The guild would also require its instructors to also be journeyman timber framers. In my 16 years I have seen poor timber framers, good timber framers and great timber framers. What makes a great timber framer is not that he knows cad or design or whether he can french scribe or knows a damn thing about forest management. For the bulk of the rank in file jobs out there quality work and being able to read a set of plans and accurately produce the designers work. I personally think the best teacher is a desire to learn. If a person wants to learn compound he will read, google and find someone to teach him. Not all timber framers are cut out for advanced timber framing but do quality work. That shouldn’t keep them from practicing the craft. I think the apprentice program leads to a two tier system splits out group into the haves and have not’s.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31535 12/21/13 04:47 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Kevin,

In a large way I agree with you. Look at the picture I posted on another thread here,

This example of fantastic craftsmanship and architecture was made by, well, so called 'ignorant farmers' Professional carpenters, yes, but ones who learned it by tradition, not from a school or guild system.

I don't think education is necessary, in my experience 'architectural education' just makes people want to do strange things and leave tradition behind, because they think they know better. But you asked the question, what will help the guild survive. Well I think that's it, I think that is the only thing that the guild has to offer that will stand up in a time of economic downturn, in a time when people are only going to spend money on things that will help them.

Look at my situation, I live in rural Indiana where timber framing is about non-existent. If I wanted to learn the craft from someone with traditional knowledge, I'd have to travel a long ways. (Actually I did just that, only longer than most would have. I went to Switzerland to learn from the heritage of my fathers) If that is not an option, all that is available is books, these forums, etc. That's great to be sure, but the fact is right now we rely on people to just 'happen' across timber framing -that's how just about everyone here found it, I am sure-
And that's part of what I am getting to by bringing the Swiss organization to the conversation, they are out there promoting the craft to the public. Guild projects do that, but there is more that we could do. How significant is the guild presence at home shows, for example, or in the Midwest and the South at County Fairs, State Fairs?

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31549 12/22/13 03:40 PM
Will Truax Offline

Discussion of the economic health of the Guild logically should be happening here and elsewhere, but should that not be framed in how can each of us help in the need to overtop this hurdle?

How does negative talk of post-mortem schisms and regional BoD's and class warfare of the have's and have not's - Help in this, our need to overcome?

No one is lobbying the AIA to demand that their designs be executed by trained and certified Journeyman & Apprentices. There is some hope that such requirements might appear in the the lettings of public works projects in the restoration of publicly owned historic timber structures. There is such a need to pre-qualify those doing such work. What better way to do so than an ability to point at formal training in a Trades Apprenticeship program as part of a resumé and measure of experience and ability?

I have spent time working beside those in other Trades in dusty attics and on bridges, and have had those who have come up through Apprenticeship programs ask after ours. Someone seen doing what we do somehow always sparks such questions. In recent years I have proudly been able to explain how such a program indeed exists.

I for one might not be doing this at all, or would be working quietly knowing far less, and would not even know people from multiple directions but from just thirty or so miles down the road that I work with almost everyday, were it not for this Guild.

Despite this momentary economic pain so common to this downturn and our current moment in time, there is far too much here to expect anything other than that this community (that is what we are) will carry on.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31557 12/23/13 01:23 AM
F
floyd mcdermitt Offline
F
I am glad to see some one start a discussion on our future. I have been a member for some time. I ad never seen a money statement till this started. I am not a timbers framer as such, but I have built two barns on our place and will do another this year if all goes well . Timbers are already cut. I enjoy going to the guild build sites. To me they are way more important than a conference.. For one I can not afford the price of a conference. When you go to a build project you have good company and learn tricks from others that are more experienced. I think if the board had been more open in the past and told people of the situation and ask for some donations from members we may not be in this shape I for one would have given but since they new all and put all the blame on Joel dammed if I would give them any now to piss away on some wild idea. When they had the election the board decided who they wanted on the board some of the same not letting any one else throw a name in.
for what it is worth
Floyd McDermitt
Carrollton, ga

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: floyd mcdermitt] #31564 12/23/13 03:50 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
I for one hope, especially after saying good by to my dear friend Ed Levine this year, that the TFG holds on. I will read along as others comment...

DL, there are never any "dumb farmer" as those that are, aren't farmers for long. I can also tell you that even though farmers may have assisted and played a large role in that barn in your picture, one or several of them had been "apprenticed Barnwrights."

I am neutral on the "apprenticing" topic, but must say that having apprenticed with Old Order Amish from 14 to 23 (on and off) laid a foundation of knowledge and respect for craft that is still very much in me today. I would also note that weather here, Japan, or anywhere else learning under multiple teachers is much more beneficial than what you just teach yourself. I believe we would all be better served if there was a requirement to be "certified or accredited" as Timberwrights to even practice timber framing. It would weed out the "ill fit," and promote the craft, yet that is easily said, but hard to do without governmental support.

Regards,

j

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Jay White Cloud] #31591 12/23/13 05:33 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Floyd,

Just to clarify - there was a call for candidates in Burlington, then again via email and on the website, and - this is important to know - any member in good standing (meaning, essentially, dues paid up) can get on the ballot with 10 signatures from other members. (check out our by-laws, linked below)

What the BoD did is use its nominating committee to vet candidates who were interested (few!) - and seek out even more. That all said, I can understand what the appearance of a limited slate of candidates creates, and that is something I wished the nominating committee could have avoided. Much debate was had over this very topic.

The nominating committee (of which I am not on) felt it was prudent, at this point in time, to seek out very specific skillets that we need on the BoD (finance, in particular, as well as someone skilled at collaborating with multiple organizations). We also felt that any experience being on the board of another organization would be valuable.

Have a read of our by-laws for more information on all things TFG (especially how elections work):
http://www.tfguild.org/downloads/members/Timber-Framers-Guild-Bylaws.pdf

You can read about BoD job descriptions here:
http://www.tfguild.org/members/TFGBoardMemberDescription.pdf
I can tell you that this is the most difficult non paying job I've ever held.

To comment on another point you make regarding $$ - I took it upon myself to present financial information about our current situation in Burlington (then repeated in various forms). As a member you should know that there is typically an annual 'Treasurer's Report' in Scantlings, and recent Auditor Reports are available to all members here: (2012-2007)

http://www.tfguild.org/members/audit-reports

Scantlings is also available online in the Members Only section.

Hope this helps with the information flow.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31596 12/23/13 12:54 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Mike:
Thanks for posting the links and your comments and your work on the board.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Jim Rogers] #31604 12/23/13 04:18 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Thanks Mike also for the input. I think it is important in this discussion to have a connection to the board, otherwise anything we say is pure speculation. For example, all I can do about the apprenticeship program is speculate, since I'm not a part of it, even so all we can do about inner workings of the guild is speculate, since we are not there in it.
I think a great deal of Joel also, and I hate to see him slandered in any way. Even if he made some mistakes (don't know myself) we have to remember what all he did for building the guild. You don't find success by blaming others, it doesn't work that way (DISCLAIMER: this is NOT a political statement, do not take it that way)

Jay, I'll reply to your post on another thread, since I don't want to lead the conversation off topic here.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31607 12/23/13 05:57 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi,

I used to be a Guild member of longstanding and have had endless discussions with anyone who would care to listen as to why I decided not to renew my subscription to the Guild.

I can draw your attention to a typical sympton of Guild malaise. Check out http://www.tfguild.org/about/heritageappeal where John Mumaw and Ellen Gibson are making an appeal for funds (all very commendable).

I note from the forum users list that John registered to use this forum in 2008 and was last on line 2011 but has yet to chime in and make a post. Ellen Gibson has yet to register to use the forum. Maybe they are both lurkers !

It would appear that maybe we live in parallel universes where board members expect website and forum users to fund "their" Guild. At least Joel turned up now and again even if it was just to keep us in order.

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31608 12/23/13 07:15 PM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Apprenticing--hmmm-----lets see now--I had no formal apprenticing so to speak--but in my time I apprenticed by working and listening to my father, that is how it worked around here

Sometimes I think that that we all get hung up on gov't training, and think that it is the end of all things--we all know that hiring practices are usually --"so many years formal training" or "years of experience"--

It is surprising what can be accomplished by a group of good craftsmen led by one really qualified person on a large project, and the larger and more complicated the project, the more qualified the leading person has to be, until we need an architect to lead the group

in the case of the barn in the previous pic this structure was probably the results of one lead framer and many strong and somewhat knowledgeable carpenters--no formally trained individuals, in fact it probably would end up a better structure with this mixture of people

NH

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: northern hewer] #31609 12/23/13 11:45 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Ken,

What do you think is the solution?

Maybe, just maybe, we should get together on a local level and, on a local/regional level decide where we want to go from here.

I'd hate to see the guild fold, I'd hate to see its publications die.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31610 12/24/13 12:42 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
How many guilds do you want? Each with their own BOD, treasurer, etc.? I think the Guild, as it stands now, really needs the support of as many members as we can get. If it fails, I don't see how there is going to be a rebirth. If there was support for that, then those people would be supporting the Guild we have now.

Measures have been taken, such as e-publishing the Journal, to help us keep afloat so that the Guild can restructure how it will operate in the future. I haven't studied the past financial reports to see what the major assets and liabilities of past operating practices are, but I'm sure that is being taken care of by the BOD.

I will continue to support the Guild with my membership dues, and maybe a little something extra if circumstances allow.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31611 12/24/13 12:59 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Ken,

I think your comments are horribly unfair to the BoD members that you call out by name. And the use of this forum as some barometer of activity is a poor measure of the work anyone is doing. And that is true for the 2 people you mention. Some folks just don't live 'plugged in'. The overall use of these forums have dropped off over the years. I happen to be one who is online most of the time whole working - so I can post here.

No one is asking you (or anyone on this forum) to support 'their Guild'. The notion that the TFG is organized for the benefit of a chosen few is ludicrous. Guild business is posted to the website, our financial information is updated per our charter and by laws, and all of the board members and volunteers have their contact information available on the website. I've spoken via email and phone to many many people familiar and new to me over the past year.

And, dues of members support this forum, and pay for the website. You don't need to be a member to post here (as you know), nor do you need to be a member to view (most) of the website (or by materials from the store, attend a conference or project, etc.).

I'd be curious to hear, offline via email or PM why you aren't a member anymore.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31615 12/24/13 09:46 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Mike,

I have tried over the years tried to help The Guild and its members and especially those who visit this forum to take part in the "on line" timber-framing community that is so kindly hosted by The Guild.

I have written and had published articles in Timber Framing and Scantlings and have attended Guild Conferences, taken part in Guild workshops and even co hosted same along with Tom Musco & Jack Sobon.

Over the past few years my input to the forum has waned (though still well in excess of yours) mainly for personal reasons but my desire to help the timber-framing community remains strong.

The fact that most board members do not bother to turn up here together with the tone of your reply above does little to provide me with encouragement to continue contributing and makes it just a little easier to "not be bothered".

Instead of trying to drive me away would it not be more fruitful for you to direct your energy into encouraging board members to come here and interact directly with "their" on line community.

Ken Hume

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31622 12/25/13 02:45 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Ken, I don't Know what is driving your contrarian attitude and perception of malaise now but I would expect the BOD to be ready to deal with discontent after a complete reversal of course after the the previous complete reversal of course, however in the spirit of the season all the best to everyone and hang in, especially you Ken.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Roger Nair] #31626 12/25/13 11:27 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Roger,

Happy Christmas to one and all !

I don't think that I quite followed the above post but since the original question was quite challenging in its nature I thought that it would be permissable to make a "glimpse of the obvious" remark here in the vague hope that facing up to some home truths might encourage The Guild and its board to become more responsive to members requests and in maybe in particular to past members gripes.

I am sorry if this has offended anyone that remains in favour of the status quo but the original post was quite shocking stating that "the Guild is on life support and fading fast".

Ken Hume

p.s. Just why did Joel loose his post as executive ?

Is there a new executive ?

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31630 12/26/13 04:40 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Hi Ken,

My intent wasn't trying to push you away. Not sure how my words came across like that.

I took offense to you calling out BoD members by name and disparaging their apparent (or lack of) work on behalf of the TFG based on their use of this for forum. As you know, this forum serves members and non members alike, and the percentage of members that participate is very small in relation to our overall membership. And, as noted, and something that is just a fact of life - not everyone is 'plugged in'. Regardless, we likely won't see eye to eye on this issue.

As to your other questions regarding executive leadership - much of that was covered in person at the Burlington conference, in our (nearly) weekly emails to current members, and in Scantlings.

I'm unsure of what you mean by 'facing up to some home truths' and not being responsive to members (past and present). So I'll again extend an invitation to reach out to me (link below, contact information on my website) or PM me on this forum, so I might have a better understanding of what you might be driving at. Or feel free to post your grievances and concerns and suggestions right here.

PS, I'm unsure what you mean by 'Over the past few years my input to the forum has waned (though still well in excess of yours)...'

It sounds mean spirited, but in the spirit of the holidays I'll let it go as a transatlantic misunderstanding.

Last edited by bmike; 12/26/13 04:43 PM.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31631 12/26/13 05:39 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Hey Ken

2013 has been such a year that using descriptions of the BOD and TFG that include "malaise" and "status quo" is just getting it wrong. The BOD is in active engagement without precedent. A full account of the changes is beyond me, but just changes that might be reflected in the letterhead. Offices have moved from Alstead NH to Reston VA to Beckett MA. Three people wore the executive director hat, there is now no executive director. All this in 2013. It might be a few years before a status quo will be developed.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31639 12/27/13 04:55 AM
H
Hylandwoodcraft Offline
H
I was at the Burlington conference and put some thought into these issues then. It was my first conference and really my first major exposure to the guild. It was a great conference and a great experience for myself and the whole crew.
However, I found that while I really want to care about the Guild, and I really like the idea of the Guild, I found it difficult to find it as relevant as I would have liked. I felt that the Guild gave little reason to believe in it or to inspire passion.
It seems to me that timber framing has submitted to our modern malaise of compartmentalization. Why are we timber framers? Do we exist only to debate arcane bits of historical knowledge, or to build ostentatious mansions for those with more money than sense?
Or did we all get into this because we saw in timber framing a truth and a beauty that might just make the world a better place, if we could just share it.
Timber framing in the past was vital because it was fully integrated into it's surrounding culture. We need to recapture that. We need to make timber framing accessible to the masses again. Timber framing needs to be an integral part of destroying the pervasive ugliness of our culture.
I have so many people come to me with the idea that only the wealthy can afford a timber frame. It's part of the slick, pornographic, consumer image portrayed by venues like "Timber Home Living". I can say that I have built many of my most satisfying projects for people that are pretty low on the totem pole. Houses that are efficient and utilitarian, yet do not sacrifice craftsmanship. I know that there are a lot of framers that are right there with me, taking the knowledge of past and creating a relevant present. This is something that I don't feel that the Guild represents though. Until it does I can't help but think that it is a dead letter.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Hylandwoodcraft] #31640 12/27/13 08:51 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Everyone,

I received a well deserved poke in the eye with a sharp stick on Christmas morning from one of the past TFG executives when it was "pointed" out to me that the BOD at the time did listen and act upon some of my gripes / suggestions and in particular to initiate a move towards the publication of Scantlings and Timber Framing in electronic (pdf)file format. This was accompanied by a restructuring of Guild dues to make membership more affordable and to stop the unnecessary flow of cash to the US postal service. Credit where credit is due - they listened and they acted.

I was also sent an extract from TIMBER FRAMING No 109 - pages 2&3 - "Whither the Guild" (Sept 2013) where Kenneth Rower provides a short history of the Guild and its management which is quite illuminating, though in places a little difficult to follow especially when the reader does not have first hand knowledge of some of the times and events concerned.

I simply don't buy the idea that board members should be given a permission slip not to attend the most powerful means of communication that is available to The Guild. I am sure that TFG Board members are all busy people with many of them running successful timber-framing businesses but I bet that every last one of them employs websites, blogs, electronic newsletters and email to get the message out to potential customers.

I am getting the message that the Guild is now operating in survival mode and that means frankly that the excuses need to stop and that those who have the vision and ability to turn the ship around need to step up to the plate.

I am reminded of a quote by Lord Kelvin made in the late 1800's when he stated (in shortform) that "Unless you can express what you are dealing with in numbers you might know something about it however it is hardly the beginning of science". From my reading of TF 109 it would appear that a modern day Lord Kelvin has attempted to follow this principal but the outcome from the analysis of same is not particularly evident in this article.

Ken Hume

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31645 12/27/13 03:55 PM
J
John Mumaw Offline
J
Hi Ken,

I will confess to being a "lurker". I've definitely visited the forums since 2011 but in listening mode rather than commenting mode. I think this is an excellent conversation, although it could have a better title. I, personally, don't think the Guild is going to "die". There are too many of us personally invested in it for that to happen. The fact that we're having this discussion is evidence for that. But I don't want to understate the challenges we currently face. It's going to take all of us pulling together to overcome those challenges and to find the way or ways forward. Maybe regional chapters would be a way to keep all of us more involved.

Thanks,
John

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31647 12/27/13 04:05 PM
J
John Mumaw Offline
J
And to add to Mike's list of reading material there are the minutes from board meetings:

http://www.tfguild.org/members/board-meeting-minutes

As clerk, I have been writing them with members in mind for the last three years. And while they can be dry reading, there is a lot of information for members there. It can be a good way to keep in touch with what is occupying the board and where the thinking is going.

Thanks,
John

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: John Mumaw] #31648 12/27/13 04:09 PM
D L Bahler Offline
John,

Thanks for plugging in, good to hear from you.

This to you, and to Dave,
I don't want the guild to split, I am not encouraging division or many guilds. What I'd like, like John says in his post here, is regional chapters. In a big part because that would give me more opportunity for involvement.

I'll be honest, I have not been able to maintain my membership very faithfully all the time. In part because of economics -not a lot of work- and in part because I am pouring all of my money into a new business that will give me another source of income to rely on. But I'd have to say, in all of this it would be a whole lot easier for me to justify membership dues if I was more directly involved with guild activities. But as it stands, I can't afford to go out to Virginia or New Hampshire or Vermont or wherever the guild conference happens to be, and I can't afford the cost of the conference itself. I also would never expect it to be in Indiana where there are so few TF'ers. SO it's hard for me to get deeply involved. So I contribute how I can, writing here and occasionally submitting materials for publication. I'd love to do more, just don't have the resources for it.

But if we actually HAD a local/regional organization, why I could work with that.

And I figure it this way, the Indianapolis Colts are in the AFC southern division, so when it comes to organizing chapters why not follow this example, and put us with the southeast chapter? HA.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31655 12/27/13 06:10 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Like the title or not. The purpose was to shock and get members off their hind ends and start talking about the problems with the guild. It has looked for some time that the money out vs money in has not been working in our favor. The regional meetings to me are the best thing the guild has come up with in a while. Their cheap, informative, fun and encourage local folks to join the guild. This is the direction the guild needs to take. More local (regional) and less national is what is needed. We see that same spend more than we have mindset with the federal government. The only difference is the guild can’t print money. If they could we would all be in trouble.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31656 12/27/13 07:43 PM
G
Gumphri Offline
G
To me the most important part of the guild is these forums. The national/regional debate is unimportant to me. Although I'd like to I've never been to either a national or a regional conference. Due to small number of framers here I will never see a local one. That is fine.

As for our elected leaders, we elected them to run our guild not our forums. They recently tried something new. It didn't work and they changed it. With any organization profits and losses are part of life. As long as they balance over time that is ok.

What I do know from all the people on this forum and the timber framers and enthusiasts I have met in person is that we are all passionate about timber framing. I see that as different people contribute what energy, wisdom, expertise, or resources they can in various ways to the Trade.

Leslie Ball
NaturallyFramed.ca
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Gumphri] #31674 12/28/13 08:52 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Welcome John,

Unfortunately I am not currently a Guild member and hence have been unable to reach the minutes on the link that you provide above. I would appreciate if you could PM and attach the respectives minutes for my review and information (if this allowed).

Ken Hume

What part can we play to keep the Guild afloat? [Re: Ken Hume] #31678 12/29/13 03:00 PM
Will Truax Offline

Threads title needed chang'n -

Positive change begins with positive thought.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31681 12/29/13 04:08 PM
K
Katie Hill Offline
K
Ken,

True confession: I am another lurker, making my FIRST EVER POST to the guild forum. I'm an active guild member and regularly read the forum postings. But please don't hold a paltry number of postings against board members or others. Not everyone is as digitally connected as you. Others - like myself - simply do not share your enthusiasm for posting their thoughts on public internet sites, and use other means to communicate with guild members.

But since I'm here, now:

First, I've noticed your numerous postings. Clearly you've been benefitting from both the infrastructure and the community that has been created and maintained by the guild. If I were in your shoes, I would send in my guild dues on that basis alone.

Second, it is far more productive to make suggestions than to make complaints. It should be clear to any member who's been following the weekly guild emails and Scantlings that the board is putting in a huge effort right now to get things back in order. We are beyond the point of complaining about what went wrong in the past, we need to get things right going forward and the board needs our support. Ken - please do follow up with Mike Beganyi about your concerns and suggestions, I think you'll find the current board is very open to input from current and past members.

To me, the most valuable aspect of the guild is the community that it has brought together. I've been to some conferences, a regional gathering, and participated on a couple projects. While these "events" were enjoyable and educational, I've benefitted the most from the friendships and professional relationships forged along the way.

I, too, will continue to support the guild with my membership dues, and a little something extra as circumstances allow.

- Katie Hill

Katherine Hill, PE
The Structures Studio - Structural Engineers
North Ferrisburgh VT
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Katie Hill] #31684 12/29/13 06:25 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Katie,

Well spoken for a first timer. I suppose that dishing out a dope slap to a fellow Professional Engineer in public is at least in your mind quite in order.

I learned my lessons about getting connected from Ed Levin when I first visted him in Hanover now nearly 25 years ago when I saw how he could design and communicate with the world using nothing more than a pc & a fax machine based in a small room.

We all contribute in our own way and with the time that we have available. You know nothing about me or my son or about my personal situation or what we are possibly currently engaged in [behind the scenes] to contribute towards supporting the Guild.

Regards

Ken Hume B.Sc. M.Sc. P.Eng. C.Eng.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Katie Hill] #31686 12/29/13 07:51 PM
E
Ellen_Gibson Offline
E
All - Since my name was brought up I guess I'll add some 2 cents to this discussion. Luckily the computer is not, and will not be, my main avenue for communication, tho' I have "lurked" at the forums - seriously that's the term ? I have also e-mailed and spoken with many many many members over the phone, at conferences, in person for a long time. Actually, Ken H., I tried contacting you by e-mail several times this past year to speak with you as a fellow Mainer about the Guild and to invite you to the great Regional Gathering I had, and you never responded. We had several good programs and many discussions about the pros and cons of the Board decisions past and present, the history of the Guild, what it meant to all of us, where it was going. And we didn't all agree by any means. And the responses from membership that the Board has received are not all in agreement with each other. Some think the decisions that have been made this past year were a long time in coming, others think every action was severely flawed, others fall in the middle. I fall in the middle - recognizing poor decisions, in hindsight, made by Boards in the present and past - but also recognizing that changes had to happen in order for an organization that is incredibly important to a lot of people to survive. It is important for many different reasons - and we all hold unique memories of experiences and benefits that we have gained from the Guild. One of the things we did agree on at the Regional in Maine was the significance of the Guild in each of our lives.

I have a very hard time understanding the choice to quit one's membership in the Guild as a statement. How does that help the organization ?? What did it do to you ?? It is about equivalent to giving the finger to a fluctuating group of nine (usually) individuals who made decisions and took actions that you didn't agree with. A group that has already changed, and will change again next year and so on. The Guild is not about 9 individuals. Meanwhile the Guild doesn't have your dues. We do not all agree - within membership or within Boards. But if the Guild has actually meant something to you don't give up on it. Work to make the changes that will allow the organization to continue to serve and educate not only membership, but "communities".
The people, projects, gatherings, disagreements, educational materials, experiments, mistakes, amazing successes, ups and downs, fun and games are all a part of the Guild. For me, the positive of being a part of this organization far outweighs the negative. I have gained tremendously over the years - many many others have gained tremendously - whole communities have benefited- and that is reason enough for me to push for the future of the Guild.
All the best in 2014 - come to the Regional in Hallowell Maine - date to be set soon - fallish. I'd be happy to converse further - my contact info. is on the web site.
Ellen

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ellen_Gibson] #31687 12/29/13 09:12 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Thank you Ellen for coming on, it is good to hear from another leader.

I for one will lend my support to the guild, even if I don't agree with all of its decisions all the time. Just this morning in Church we were speaking about authority, and respecting those in leadership. The point was brought out, we will never agree with every decision. That is life.

I will be interested to see where this all leads, personally I think it is good that we are having this discussion.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31690 12/29/13 10:39 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Regional in Hallowell, I shall try to attend, as long as it is not in August.

Interesting to hear from people on the board. I have voted through out the years, with hardly any knowledge of the people I was voting for, just the info on the ballot. It would be nice if said runners would discuss issues on the forum. Perhaps that would open some knowledge and help things grow. How about a requirement that runners must come out in the open? Let us get to know you and your views.

Re: What part can we play to keep the Guild afloat? [Re: Will Truax] #31693 12/30/13 12:04 AM
Will Truax Offline

Another shot at shifting the threads title to one of positivity and throwing water over the gunnels >

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31698 12/30/13 08:59 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Ellen,

You might well be confusing me with K F Hines. I am K F Hume and currently live about 3000 miles from Maine !

As a 501c3 organisation with the recently agreed mission statement "The Timber Framers Guild is a not-for-profit corporation organized as the centre for timber framing information, to train people in the craft, and to promote timber framing to the public" it might be argued that Guild members should possibly be seen more as enthusiastic supporting philanthropists engaged in helping the board to achieve this mission rather than deriving personal benefit by being members. i.e. Ask not what the Guild can do for you - but what you can do for The Guild.

This forum goes a long way towards providing low cost public timber-framing educational benefit and also provides additional benefit in respect of many other associated activities like woodland management, timber conversion, historic building research, craft training, social and cultural practices, etc.

I am very pleased to see another BoD member show up on the forum and this goes some way to helping satisfy the initiative proposed by Tim Beal above.

"Stat Attack"
Ellen is the 6061 person registered to use this forum. The Guild has about 1500 paid up members so the obvious persons to contact regarding obtaining additional financial support to maintain the Guild mission is already known to The Guild.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31701 12/30/13 02:02 PM
E
Ellen_Gibson Offline
E
Sorry about that Ken - you're right- different person - good discussions for sure - thank you - and I'm hanging onto my sentiments about being positive looking into the future.
Cheers,
Ellen

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ellen_Gibson] #31706 12/31/13 02:05 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Hi Ken,

I see you've posted some suggestions elsewhere, but I still have not heard from you.

If you don't want to reach out to me, please reach out to another BoD member or our Program Director. Ellen is head of the Membership committee. All the BoD members with contact information is here:

http://www.tfguild.org/about/guild-personnel

Also, feel free to contact Brenda Baker, who is our program director (and recent BoD member) - brenda@tfguild.org

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31707 12/31/13 06:03 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
i keep seeing good discussion but I'm not seeing many ideas.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31710 01/01/14 03:19 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Kevin / Mike,

Being able to provide good positive useful ideas is very much dependant on having a sound understanding of the full nature of the problem.

I have been made aware that the decision to employ an outside management company to run The Guild has now been overturned with the TFG office has now moved again from the management company premises at Reston, VA to Becket, Massachusetts where Sue Warden is now acting as Administrative Secretary and Brenda Baker as Program Director. There is no Executive staff for the time being.

Explanation / Reasons ?

Ken Hume

last issue of scanling (Alicia Spence) [Re: Ken Hume] #31711 01/01/14 08:46 PM
F
floyd mcdermitt Offline
F
I read the wonderful article about Alicia. Nothing but the truth was there she was a wonderful person and a great guild member and worker. There was never any thing she would not tackle. With her resignation it will be real hard to fill her spot to the degree she did it. None of us will never know the reason she left I do not know if the board really cared since there comments were she left.
I know I had talked to her about a building a church was going to try and restore here in the county. After looking into it was decided it was not a true timber frame structure so it was not pursued. I talked to her at the Vicksburg project about a shelter here in the county, similar to what was built at the forest service project in Heflin Al.

Re: last issue of scanling (Alicia Spence) [Re: floyd mcdermitt] #31712 01/01/14 10:23 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Floyd,

I for one cared deeply about her place in the TFG, and worked hard to try and get her the tools she needed / wanted to stay around... she will be missed, personally, and professionally.

And yes, members of the BoD cared.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31713 01/01/14 10:27 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Hi Kevin / Mike,

Being able to provide good positive useful ideas is very much dependant on having a sound understanding of the full nature of the problem.

I have been made aware that the decision to employ an outside management company to run The Guild has now been overturned with the TFG office has now moved again from the management company premises at Reston, VA to Becket, Massachusetts where Sue Warden is now acting as Administrative Secretary and Brenda Baker as Program Director. There is no Executive staff for the time being.

Explanation / Reasons ?

Ken Hume

Hi Ken,

I guess I was hoping you'd give me (us) some feedback on why you left, and what you think would make the TFG better, in your eyes. Since you brought that up early in this thread.

Much information regarding this past year has been covered in members emails, Scantlings, Burlington Conference, BoD minutes, etc.

I don't really think that should affect what would make the TFG a better organization, more valuable to members, etc...

Blue sky? What do you want your TFG to be?

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31715 01/02/14 09:19 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Mike,

I asked a fairly direct question and this has been met with an evasive response.

It might well be that you are either embarassed or confused by recent events or potentially even gagged from speaking out but what kind of message does this send out to the present Guild membership and aspiring members.

The work done and achievements made over the past 20+ years is not an irrelevance. This constitutes an investment of time, money, commitment and belief by people like me and others that this was and still is a worthwhile endeavour. In short we are all the building blocks upon which The Guild was founded and if The Guild fails then we have failed. Personally, I would prefer to do this in a way in which at least I know what it was that we all collectively did wrong such that members and supporters can take care not to repeat the same mistakes in the future.

Ken Hume

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31719 01/02/14 06:24 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Hi Ken,

No, not embarrassed, not confused. Frustrated, by where we are, for sure.
But its awkward to try and cover ground that we've already discussed in members notes and communications.

We moved on from the management company because we couldn't turn things around fast enough regarding $$ flow from where we thought we were when we signed them up in Burlington. Lots of intertwined reasons for that - chief among them $$$$, or lack of it, actually.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that our history is irrelevant. Its actually on my mind all the time as I (we) have to make decisions regarding the running of the organization.

As to this:
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume

Personally, I would prefer to do this in a way in which at least I know what it was that we all collectively did wrong such that members and supporters can take care not to repeat the same mistakes in the future.

The short answer?
Excerpted and paraphrased from an email that I've sent to many members:

We’ve worked hard to understand buildings that have stood for hundreds of years.
And we have applied that understanding to design, craft, and build structures that will last hundreds more.

Yet we, as an organization, have failed to look after ourselves with the same discipline and respect as we do our history, craft, and buildings.
Our timber frames may be standing for centuries.
Yet our ‘community’, our ‘guild’ is having trouble outlasting a subprime mortgage on a suburban McMansion.

This covers everything from (lack) of grant seeking (with a few exceptions for publications), care of our books, leveraging our legacy, monetizing our IP, protecting ourselves with regards to copyright, backing up our data, archiving our videos and photos, building a database driven easy to use website.... etc. etc. - as well as burning through our assets at an alarming rate that was not arrested soon enough...

I may sound negative about things, and critical, but I would have resigned long ago if I didn't think we could turn things around, if I didn't believe that we'll sort out the issues, and make peace with and respect our past while moving forward, to a place where the TFG is relevant to a greater audience, and we move from more of a 'club' to more of a 'guild'.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31720 01/02/14 07:06 PM
D L Bahler Offline
So Mike what, then, does the future look like, in your opinion?

Not a simple question of whether or not you foresee the guild existing, you have expressed that you do see that. Rather, in what form do you see the guild existing 5 years from now? This in regards to publications, projects, teaching, etc?

What is the guild doing now to prepare for this future?

What is the guild doing to promote the craft, and to promote those who are a part of this craft?

Most importantly, what is the guild doing to build up its members? How is the guild helping timber framers, and how will it do so in the future?

Personally, I believe this is what the guild should look at if is to prosper. Simply put, we are businessmen in tough times. We, for the most part, will not continue to invest our resources (time, money, etc.) in something that does not benefit us. I am not suggesting the guild does not benefit its members, but I do suggest that in terms of simple economics, this should be viewed as of the highest importance.

So you will then ask the question, how do we do that? I don't know. But I will do my best to think of what I can, give what I can, etc. in the hopes that I can provide at list a little bit of something valuable.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31722 01/03/14 12:29 AM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
The regional meetings have been great, and have brought more interest to timber framing (and some new members), but they don't make money for the TFG, at least in the short term. As far as I know, everyone in the Guild is pro-regional meetings.

DL, I don't know if the Swiss Holzbau Schweiz runs like the French and German guilds. The French compagnon and German zimmerman programs are paid for by the government, through taxes paid by corporations. As far as I know, the guilds lobby (?) individual companies to have their corporate taxes allocated to their Guild. I can't even begin to imagine that happening in the US.

And Kevin, in your critique of the apprenticeship program, I think that you're talking about joiners and not timber framers. There a lot of guys (and a bunch of girls) cutting timber frame joints every day, but that's certainly not all of timber framing. It's really the easiest part. I can train a monkey to cut a mortise or tenon. You say that timber framers don't need to know scribing or forest management, but I would argue that not knowing either of those subjects (and the many more covered in the app. program) severely limits what you can do. A client asks you to put some round timbers from their property in their house, and you say what? Sorry, I don't know how to do that? Or even better, 'that's ridiculous, timber comes on a truck from Oregon.' A group of the best timber framers in the country came up with that curriculum, and you're opinion is that all you have to do is put in a couple of years in a shop to be a journeryman timber framer?

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: timberwrestler] #31723 01/03/14 02:23 AM
Jack_C Offline
In the main...a professional ORG justifies its existence by supporting and contributing to the prosperity of its membership. Not withstanding the limitations of the GUILDs Non-Profit Charitable Org status...Public Education is a modality it can utilize to achieve, or at the least pursue that objective.

The failure to adequately utilize IP (Intellectual Property) Mike B. refers to, combined with the "high importance" emphasized by DL of producing tangible ($profitable$) benefits of membership, both reside in the realm of Public Education, which is a mandate of the GUILD Charter and Mission.

As a focus of rebuilding and/or recreating the GUILD going forward, a better understanding and plan for this single objective should be considered a primary ingredient. Learning how to educate the segment of the home building marketplace who is NOT looking for or even AWARE of TF homes is an option worth exploring; and perhaps more germane to our existence, relevance and prosperity than any other challenge. There are ways to achieve this which are available and accessible to all ORGs associated with the building industry. They include options for joining other ORGs such as the Building Systems Council of NAHB. This allows the TFG / TFBC to be in the "room" with Architects, Builders, Contractors, Attorneys, Planners, Suppliers and others associated with building nationally. The introduction could be very beneficial in educating the "Professional Public" on a larger scale than five architects at a time at a LOG and Timber Frame Home Show CEU class.

Combined with a similar imperative by the TFBC and individual TF companies in their outreach and advertising...we may for the first time connect to a broad spectrum of the home building marketplace who doesn't even know we exist. The very good news is that we have 99% of the marketplace (TF is lumped into the category of "alternative housing" which represents 1% of sales nationwide) to educate and stimulate. There are few vendors of any product who can claim that advantage.

Should our National Orgs commit to a strategy of accelerated outreach and Public Education, our membership will benefit by increased market demand...and our ORGs will benefit by increased participation. It's a WIN / WIN scenario.

As a supporting member of the TFG and TFBC, I believe there is no better way to sustain the Craft and its Crafters and the ORGs which represent them.

Jack Costantino, TFU
TFBC, BoD

Jack Costantino, Pres.
Timber Frames Unlimited, LLC
jack@timberframesunlimited.com
TFBC BoD
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Jack_C] #31737 01/04/14 03:23 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Hi Jack

That is quite a mouthful indeed, and I am having a hard time getting my old brain around all that technical stuff

I personally think that the Guild was formed originally to keep the old techniques alive for future generations, I don't really think that we need to expand to the point that the guild is unrecognizable so to speak, it may turn many off who want to just learn about the old ways and techniques of that era

I am a staunch advocate that we should try and not become entwined with the modern world's approach to building construction, to the point that we loose our unique identity

Just food for thought

NH

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: northern hewer] #31739 01/04/14 09:04 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Jack Constantino,

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Richard,

I tend to live my life in the past mainly because I can. There are a number of really old buildings within walking distance of my home however I once lived on the prairies and that option simply would not have been available to me and so what can a person domiciled in the new world do to learn "how to" timber-frame. My first introduction to the craft of timber-framing was the purchase of Ted Benson's first book in "The Bay" in Edmonton when it was minus 40 degrees outside. I read and re read this book over the winter becoming more aware of the possibilities that timber-framing could afford but at the same time struggled to reconcile what I was seeing in his book with what I had seen and experienced back in England. So started the never ending journey.

The Guild is all about communication be this written, drawn, photographed, demonstrated, practical demonstration, workshops, networking, personal contacts, good works, etc.

There is a real need to join up what The Guild practices and preaches today with discoveries still being made by building researchers in the hope that we can develop a much better understanding of what design aspects and practices form the basis to build buildings today that will hopefully still have a relevance in the built environment in another 700 years time.

A good example of this process is contained in an article by Duncan James on the use of frame saws versus pit (whip) saws as was recently published in Vernacular Architecture - (vol 43 pages 7-18). There is a complete absence of input into this article from acknowleged North American sources and possibly this presents an opportunity for Guild persons such as Jack Sobon and Richard Casselmaine (Northern Hewer) to help join up the dots.

Mike,

You have still not explained the recent move of the Guild HQ to Beckett, Mass.

The Guild currency is knowledge.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Ken Hume] #31742 01/04/14 11:18 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Ken,

Ending our contract with the management company left us with a need to store our stuff, and a need to have someone manage members and the store. Sue Warden is taking on an executive secretary / business manager role for us. Brenda Baker resigned from the BoD and is working (at no cost to the TFG) as program director as we get a stable financial foundation back under us.

In our member emails and a recent edition of Scantlings this was outlined.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: timberwrestler] #31748 01/04/14 04:14 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It’s good to see the discussion taking off. Two points were brought up by different members that shed light on the fact that the guild is made up of many opinionated people. Each with their ideas of what the guild should be. I myself am included in the above statement.
I wholly agree with bmike when he says

“We’ve worked hard to understand buildings that have stood for hundreds of years.
And we have applied that understanding to design, craft, and build structures that will last hundreds more.

Yet we, as an organization, have failed to look after ourselves with the same discipline and respect as we do our history, craft, and buildings.
Our timber frames may be standing for centuries.
Yet our ‘community’, our ‘guild’ is having trouble outlasting a subprime mortgage on a suburban McMansion.”

On the other hand I disagree with Timberwrestler when he by his own analogy describes a two tier system. One with semi-skilled simians and one with know it all Timber Framers.

“I think that you're talking about joiners and not timber framers.”

“ I can train a monkey to cut a mortise or tenon.”

It is true that the theoretical knowledge to cut a mortise and tenon is basic but cutting that joint well takes much longer and I don’t think that’s monkey business. I don’t think insulting the shop/production timber framer is the answer.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: northern hewer] #31750 01/04/14 06:17 PM
Jack_C Offline
NH...after serving a 10 year carpenter apprenticeship starting on June 29,1959, I couldn't agree more with the importance of maintaining cultural and qualitative controls in what we do. And...to clarify...I am a carpenter NOT a Timber Framer. However I am truly privileged to work with and provide work for them. And that may be the essence of my concern. Since its highpoint of 1900 members in 2006 we have lost approximately 30% +/- of our membership. Not coincidentally this is the period roughly encompassing the recession, still alive and well today.

The empirical evidence is...as with all pursuits, our future, artisanal, cultural, craft bound, or otherwise is tied to our ability to sustain our day to day, payment to payment existence. For those TFers represented in the approximately 600 former members lost...this may not have been the case.

Our personal economies are just a slice of the whole pie. During the past 7 or 8 years that pie has shrunk to the size of a cupcake. I have always contended that...whereas that is very bad news for most workers, in the case of sustainable design and building, what we do has yet to be discovered by a significant piece of the housing market. It's far from my intention to diminish the amazing culture of our remaining practitioners. On the contrary, my hope is to preserve the craft by allowing more prospective homeowners to at least know it's an option to consider.

Beyond the abilities of individual companies and crafters...I believe our National ORGs can and should provide public education on a scale we individuals cannot. Of course the option is for our ORGs to disappear altogether and the crafters who created it in 1985 can return to the pre TF renaissance of the 1970's. As with all outcomes, which option we choose will be determined by our preferences and actions.

In my own case...after beginning sustainable design and building as part of my focus in 1975 it will be disappointing to say the least to watch the demise of our ORGs...but my life (at 72) will not be changed significantly. I'm in the last chapter of my book. Those who matter going forward are not.

For an excellent review of the life of the GUILD since its birth in 1985 read and/or reread Ken Rower's excellent article "WHITHER THE GUILD" in TF109 / September 2013 available in the ARCHIVE section of the TFG PUBLICATIONS page. I believe others on this forum have recommended it. As always, Ken defines and reports the events in his clear, precise style. He covers the history, economics and personal history without judgment or blame. Including the loss of Joel McCarty, and the period leading up to the assignment of various professional management groups.

As members...our future is in our own hands. Our BoD's WANT and NEED to understand the preferences and needs of their membership. Their contact info is available in the MEMBERS area of the TFG site. Contact them and share your thoughts.

And thank you again for your comments. We agree more than you know. Jack

Jack Costantino, Pres.
TFBC BoD
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Jack_C] #31759 01/05/14 03:58 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

it is real nice to see a cooling off period that seems to be developing among all you debaters, this is much needed for progress forward

I have nothing against progress but then one has to realize just how far and how big and how quick the organization has to move in a certain time frame

take farming for instance, the playing field is open to everyone to move as fast forward as you like but remember there is always a catch like to move to one more level , you will need more land, larger machinery, more cattle, and the list goes on--, or you can move to a certain level and remain there as long as one can make a decent living.

I sort of feel that maybe the TFG moved just a little to fast and maybe needs to regroup--I have been following its progress along for some time, and my personal feelings are that we still have a great group --be its smaller size--this could be no doubt attributed to the rough economic cycles which was hard to forecast and maybe some bad calls, I am not one to judge--

I know for example my son who dairy farms had to ride out the bad publicity connected with the "mad cow disease" which hit swift and hard at the dairy industry, he hung on for a merry ride but in the process gained valuable management experience

I have noted for instance the housing market's up's and down's weeding out those that made real bad choices--leaving those that chose to remain and rebuild

riding out hard times will mature the TFG, and mould it into a reality organization--listen closely to your gut feelings, and follow good well organized leaders, chose them wisely for their knowledge not necessarily their degrees

at UCV when I worked there the public enjoyed listening to just common folk, they were not interested in listening to those dressed in suits and ties, they wanted to hear and be taught the basic structures of life and living

The National Geographic magazine went through many harrowing growing pains, but stuck by its ideals

food for thought

NH

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: northern hewer] #31778 01/08/14 05:06 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I was thinking about the problems that the guild was having and the comments about how large the guild was and that the BOD's were volunteers. In putting things into perspective, my home owners association for my neighborhood has a $2,000,000+ budget every year and is run by volunteers. We do however hire a professional management company to run the day to day operations. I pay roughly $1.00 per day for the privilege. With all that said I think the guild needs to pony up get a management company raise the membership dues to cover the amount and once we are out of the woods and the guild is back in the black then lower the dues accordingly. We will loose a few folks along the way. But if that is their level of commitment then we are better off without them.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31779 01/08/14 05:21 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Kevin,

I must disagree to some extent.

For some of us, raising our dues will eliminate the possibility of maintaining our membership. It's not simply a matter of commitment, etc. It is a matter of having the funds available. Right now, for example, my membership is lapsed but I will renew it as soon as possible. I am sure my situation is not entirely unique.

I am sure there are other ways we can raise money.

It occured to me as I was reading this, can we do 'fundraisers' of some sort for the guild?

For example, could we hold some kind of workshop -build a shed, for example- direct the proceeds of this (minus minimal expenses)
to the guild, and sell the frame and give that to the guild? Just one example. This would entail volunteer work -find people who would be willing to do the work for the guild, not themselves.
To me, this sort of thing shows a higher level of commitment than paying your dues. For some, those with money to spare, it's easy to pay dues and say you are committed to the guild without ever actually doing anything for the guild. Dues help, yes, and are important. But others can't help in the financial areas -we need other opportunities.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31780 01/08/14 05:56 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
DL,

To follow up on your thoughts of money / contributions - here are some things most people can do to help: (copied from another thread)

1. Become a Member

2. Volunteer by contacting Brenda Baker, our program director: brenda@tfguild.org (we'll have need for volunteers after the BoD's February Face to Face meeting, where we hope to lay out some strategies for 2014 - many short term, but some long term)

3. Consider donating to the Heritage Appeal: http://www.tfguild.org/about/heritageappeal

4. Contribute to Timber Framing (contact Ken Rower via our website),

And more things: contribute to Scantlings, host a regional meeting, advertising in our publications, taking on an apprentice (if you are in the Journeyworker program), volunteering for a project (we have a couple of nice ones in development for 2014), buying a gift membership for a family member, friend, or co-worker, etc. etc. etc.

Where the rubber meets the road is an ACTIVE membership, getting involved in the heavy lifting of our workload (now that we are trying to control costs with limited administrative overhead), volunteering for tasks, writing, and of course, cold, hard $$$$.

I know not everyone can contribute $$ - and I can tell you that my work on the BoD has taken a bite out of my billable hours - we welcome contributions in many forms.

Last edited by bmike; 01/08/14 05:57 PM.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31821 01/11/14 05:42 PM
Jack_C Offline
Mike...thanks for "bulleting" the options for providing support to the GUILD during this extraordinary...or any time in its existence. Actively participating is an important aspect of membership in any ORG. The GUILD is not alone in its economically stressed circumstances. Virtually all ORGs, non-profit and otherwise, are included. However...I believe the especially "connective" nature of the GUILD membership provides a level of inoculation against the potent virus of even globalized fiscal downturns.

DL is on the mark in exploring and contributing ideas, as is Mike in reminding us that a variety of individual contributions are available and essential to our future.

Kevin...although it's hard to disagree with the success of some kinds of association management...especially the Home Owners model...as evidenced by the GUILD's recent attempt to engage this format, the level of equity required is daunting, and the DNA of the GUILD family presents special nuances which may not be typical of other ORG's.

In the interim we can do what you can "individually". As per Mike's list of options, visit the TFG store today and BE VISIBLE in the area which speaks to you personally.

For $20.00, for instance you can contribute to the Membership Support Fund which will allow the GUILD to RE-Member former or lapsed members who are temporarily disconnected from the TFG roles. As evidenced by the passion, intelligence and dedication of those who participate in these forums, we may be suffering from a loss of intellectual property in areas where "Members Only" have access.

Personally I believe regaining our lost or sidelined colleagues may be the single most important action we can take. You can contribute toward RE-Membering a colleague at this link: http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/meresufu.html.

Please consider PARTICIPATING in any way you can TODAY.

BE VISIBLE!

Jack Costantino, Pres.
TFBC BoD
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #32387 06/23/14 02:35 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
The Guild won't die. We work in a cyclical industry and we are suffering the pain of a down cycle in Guild finances. Clearly, by the passion displayed here, many people are deeply committed to the Guild and will not let it die. One thing I do not take for granted is that the Guild is so young. Most of the founding members are still alive, many are still involved with the Guild. 100 years from now members will look back and wonder at how we did what we did with what we have.

Jim D.

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users