Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Barn Plans #31563 12/23/13 03:44 AM
J
Jimmike44 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have looked for HOURS, all over the internet, trying to find a set of plans to submit to my County inspections office. I can't seem to find anything, free or for sale. I hope to build a workshop around 24' by 36', with the timber frame method. I also don't want any center supports in the design. Do any of you know where I can find some plans like these? I assume they just need to be basic, to show the spacing between the posts, post dimensions, footer depths, etc. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Mike

Re: Barn Plans [Re: Jimmike44] #31597 12/23/13 12:58 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Jimmike44:
Due to the fact that many variables are present when designing a barn, sometimes each barn is different.
That means each one may have to be custom designed due to the fact of where it will be located and what type of wood will be used, and the intended use.

Good luck with your research.

Jim Rogers
of Jim Rogers Timber Designs

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Barn Plans [Re: Jim Rogers] #31600 12/23/13 02:49 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Like Jim said, generic plans can be difficult to submit, depending on your code officials, many have to have a PE stamp. If you are having this built for you the Timberwright you hire should be taking care of all of this other than perhaps submitting the plans. If you are doing it yourself, you will either have to draw up real plans and specs, or hire someone like myself, Jim, or the dozen or so timber frame designers out there.

Hope that was of some use to you, let me know if I can answer more questions.

Regards,

j

Re: Barn Plans [Re: Jimmike44] #31724 01/03/14 02:38 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi jim/mike

I just noticed your post that you were looking for barn plans for a 24 by 36 foot building to construct

this is just something for you to think about

A number of years ago I constructed a 3 bay English Barn for UCV, it dated to approx. 1870, it was 24 by 36 the size you are looking for

unfortunately it contains 2 interior posts located at the centre point of the 2 main 10 by 12 cross girts

I copied it faithfully from an original structure located near Iroquois Ontario which is still standing, but privately owned

I do have the original pencil rough drawings that I did at that time for the TF's on site to work with

It has on the second level, purlin posts and plates that the rafters bear on and has German/Dutch characteristics which are neat like large double centre doors, that swing on wooden hinges, and no overhang on the eve, or I should say very little

it was one building that I included on the onsite tour when I hosted the TTRAG a few years back

I might have video footage that shows the structure somewhat depends how interested you might be

NH

Re: Barn Plans [Re: northern hewer] #31735 01/04/14 02:35 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello mike--tonight--

just additional thoughts for this structure

you might avoid the centre posts by constructing two swing beams to replace the two centre cross girts

NH

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users