Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Felling Poderosa #31598 12/23/13 02:33 PM
L
Learn_by_Doing Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am new to the forum and to TF. I am determined and well underway on a project to build a small simple bent/ frame, cabin. Like 800 sq ft. I have a friend with land. We are drafting a contract to activate a gift of 30 trees from his property. He is giving them to us. They are straight, tall, 1-3 ft. dia. Ponderosa Pine and a few nice Dougs that are 1 foot dia. He wants the fire break but doesn't want to pay. I want the timber and don't want to pay.
Any opinions on Ponderosa for TF construction? And forgive my ignorance, I have been watching too many You-Tube Videos...are Box Heart timbers suitable for the entire frame? There seems to be no definitive answer.
I hope this is the correct forum thread.
Thank you

Re: Felling Poderosa [Re: Learn_by_Doing] #31601 12/23/13 03:01 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello LbD,

Quote:
Any opinions on Ponderosa for TF construction?

Good wood for timber framing but unless you have experience going from tree to timber frame, I would get some advice from a local sawyer/forester to assess the trees for you, as you learn this craft. It isn't as easy as just cutting a tree down and making a timber out of it.

Quote:
And forgive my ignorance, I have been watching too many You-Tube Videos...are Box Heart timbers suitable for the entire frame?

Take what you see on "boob tub" with a grain of salt. There is as much bad info on there as good.

This question ties into the above answer, box heart or free of heart all depends on the application of the given timber and the style of timber framing you are working in.

You will have to get deeper into this project and submit drawings and photos to get further (or more detailed) assistance. If you can find a local Timberwright, and tell them what you are doing, if they are of quality and honor to the craft they will talk with you about the project, and maybe even more. I have two frames in my area right now being done like yours, and we have no issue watching over someone learning the craft...so ask for some local help, and or keep checking in here with the TFG group.

Regards,

j

Re: Felling Poderosa [Re: Learn_by_Doing] #31602 12/23/13 03:02 PM
Will Truax Offline

Though it is tip diameter that counts, and not the Butt or DBH - A 3' Butt should yield a number of FOHC sticks.

Always preferable, Free of Heart Center should be a spec'd requisite for any stick 5" or under in scantling.

Not having worked it as timber I can't answer Ponderosa question, though what I do know of it has me guessing it would be fine framing timber.

Also it would be a shame to saw such sawlogs into short sections - Find a sawyer with a long carriage or an extension and saw lengths as long as your frames width and length.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi
5136 Registered Users