Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What can we do to help the guild survive? #31679 12/29/13 03:19 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I would like to start a thread asking this question: "What can we do to help the guild survive?"

I for one have volunteered to be in the membership committee.

I travel to several timber framing teaching schools and have asked for information to be sent to me so that I can take these printed things with me to these schools and speak to the students about joining the guild.

There are plans in the works for me to receive some magazines and other literature to bring with me.

But I'd like to start by asking: "Why did you join the guild?"

I want to compile a list of "good reasons" why someone should/would join the guild.

I joined to help "learn the craft" that was being taught at events and through the publications.

That's my reason, but what is yours?

Jim Rogers

PS. If you don't want to publicly reply to this thread, email me privately and I'll keep your name private.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: What can we do to help the guild survive? [Re: Jim Rogers] #31699 12/30/13 09:57 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Jim,

This is quite a challenge but hear goes and in no particular order or emphasis of importance :-

- Helping others understand past craft practices that have stood the test of time.

- Creating opportunities for people to learn how to interpret incomplete historical evidence to help build an "evidence based" rationale of building development.

- Making others aware of why adopting modern information technology does not conflict with employing past traditional practice.

- Establishing a data base of knowledge open to enquiring minds.

- Increasing regional and international networking.

- Providing advice, guidance, help and even comfort when this is needed the most.

- Endeavouring to be more tolerant of others who are so obviously different from me.

- Providing financial support to deserving causes and persons intent on improving their craft knowledge and understanding of same.

- Not seeking status, financial or personal reward or benefit from efforts made to promote timber-framing.

- Trying to live up to the high standards set and achievements made by persons that I / we have come to admire.

- Stand back and gaze in awe at the achievements made by the few and many.

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: What can we do to help the guild survive? [Re: Ken Hume] #31700 12/30/13 12:27 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for your post.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users