Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31921 01/28/14 08:22 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Great info, would love to know more as you learn it. I think globally, that most of the better know plan designs and its many permutations could track their ancestry back to your region of Europe to Damascus and in between. Without a doubt the oldest in the advance forms and eloquence are most likely from the Swiss region of the Alps and perhaps into parts of the western Carpathians.

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31922 01/28/14 09:11 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Jay, would you please continue this conversation over on my thread on the general board.

Don't want to distract too far away from the poster's question. Want him to still have his questions addressed!

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31926 01/29/14 01:31 AM
R
Ron Mansour Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well, you all certainly have given me lots to think about. Lots of factual info and your opinions that I value. I also picked up Garrett Hack's Hand Plane book for further insight. Good stuff in there.
But Jay is right, I will learn the most as I experiment with this process, which I am anxious to begin. You threw me curve Jay, bringing up those bevel-up bad boys from LV! Hadn't given those much consideration, but now I must investigate those! But as it looks now, I'm leaning towards either the standard 4-1/2 or 5-1/2. With two strong votes for Veritas. I sincerely thank everyone that has taken time out of their busy day to share their experience and wisdom.

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31927 01/29/14 02:15 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Garret is great, our kids are in school together, and if I yield really loud outside he could hear me...(and would tell me to stop yelling and use the phone smile ) That is a great book to read of his. Let us all know how things go for you and if you have any other questions or ideas you would like to bounce of of a bunch of "timber nutts."

Regards,

j

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31928 01/29/14 03:06 AM
R
Ron Mansour Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Just re-reading some of the responses.

Tim, I see your point on wavy bandsawn material. I've owned and operated 3 different bandmills in years past, and I've seen how a dull blade will dive in the cut and creates the wave. So just leave the dip there and hit it with a spokeshave? Sounds good to me!

Roger and Jay: In your exchanges on short vs longer planes, you both made valid points that make alot of sense to me. Basically, all other issues have been cleared up for me, except that one. I guess as Jay said, it's a subjective issue, with no right or wrong in either choice.

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31929 01/29/14 03:16 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Absolutely...your body, the tool, the wood, and the needs of the project will subject the greatest lead and guidance to your bearing in which is the best choice for you...

Good Luck

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31931 01/29/14 12:48 PM
Will Truax Offline
Ron, I wasn't suggesting scrub planes as a step in a process in planing a timber flat & smooth, as I see only two steps in that process, the first involving a cord. (All timber here is purchased locally and rough sawn, and planed with a 12" power plane with out much attention paid to dimension or squaredness - That's but two passes on each face following a bandmill - And even planing up & out on Rough or textured frames for ease of snapping, drawing, and scoring lines)

But suggesting scrub plane ripples as a finish unto itself, sort of an easily achieved subdued hewing some find appealing.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31943 01/30/14 03:06 AM
R
Ron Mansour Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I hear ya Will, and I thank you for contributing as always. Hope you are doing well.
At some point in time, hopefully a client will want a finish such as you described with the scrub, and I can give that a shot.

I've been thinking about those low angle, bevel-up bench planes that Jay suggested as an option. I'm familiar with only my low angle block plane as it's used for end grain applications.

Can anyone offer more insight into the pro's or cons as to how these compare to a standard bench plane (#4-1/2) when attempting to smooth white oak timbers?

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Ron Mansour] #31944 01/30/14 03:35 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
The folks at Lee Valley are really great Ron, order the smoothing plane that takes the same blades that the jack and jointer take, and compare for yourself. The will take it back if you are not 100% satisfied with the out come.

The real positives are, blade interchangeability, diversity of multiple grain type application, having several blades that have different bevels for different grain types. The blades also come in and out of the plane with little fussing to get them "tuned in." A standard bench plane just does not have this versatility, IMO. Perhaps someone can find a "con" to share...I don't have any, and I own both types of planes.

Re: Hand planing timbers- Lie-Nielson or Veritas [Re: Jay White Cloud] #31947 01/30/14 12:25 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Upon reflection, for a roughing plane I would opt for a Veritas #4 bench plane, the main advantage is effective power and aggressive removal. For a smoother I would opt for a bevel up, main con is as blade pitch increases, effort increases and main advantage is as blade pitch increases, tear out lessens. So I tend towards a two plane solution.

So it would be good to hear on how you go about in this balancing act.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users