Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Harland B. Foster Hardware closing this summer. #32143 03/09/14 03:28 PM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
While there are only a few of us on here that know Foster's Hardware, it is well worth sharing the news of it's closing. It is one of the last real hardware stores I know of in this area. You are first greeted by a row of rakes, shovels and other implements of yard maintenance leaning against the front of the building, punctuated only by the main entrance to the building. Looking through the large front windows at this months selected wares, or featured woodworker's display, tells you that just taking a peek won't do. You need to know what this place is all about.

Foster's has a unique blend of the things you need, the things you went there for in the first place, and the things you didn't know you needed until you saw them there. There are plenty of the usual screws, nails, hinges and other bits that get us all from day to day. Then there are the tools. They've got your usual power tools, with cords and rechargeable batteries. A table saw, or two, and your choice of sliding compound miter saws. But, on the other side of the shelf, is where the real treasures for the electron resistant woodworker are found. Stanley #45 or #55 combination planes in the original crate with all the fixin's. A froe, broad axe, or T-auger for the traditional woodworker. Scorps the like I've never before seen and slicks of the variety I'd very much like to abscond with.

This is to say nothing of the structure itself. I've always held the belief that to make a proper tool purchase requires the right flooring. Many's the time I've found myself in a big box store pondering over such a trifling purchase as a box of stick nails wondering why it was so difficult to make such a simple decision. One day I realized the answer was quite simple. The flooring. It was too quiet. No creaking. No slight deflecting of floor boards spanning a foot or two more then they probably ought to. Concrete has no character, no life in it. You just can't make those important decisions without the feedback from the floor as you slowly shift your weight from one foot to the other, the creaking echoing throughout the room. A real hardware store is as alive as an old water powered mill. All those contemplative patrons grinding out their decisions like a subtle, understated symphony.

As important as the tools and hardware, a visit to Foster's can be about a visit with the people who you find there. Like-minded woodworkers, craftsmen, neighbors. There has been a lot of networking in the aisles of Foster's. I've spent more than one lunch break talking to Bob, Kevin, and Dale, a more relaxed group of salesmen I haven't found. Foster's Hardware, it's wares, and it's people, will all be greatly missed.

Last edited by Dave Shepard; 03/09/14 03:31 PM.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Harland B. Foster Hardware closing this summer. [Re: Dave Shepard] #32144 03/09/14 03:56 PM
Will B Offline
My last purchase was a complete set of Jennings pattern auger bits for $110 - a bargain. There are a couple of nice old adzes there now. All of the antique tools will probably go to the Donnelly auction house, so if you want any antique tools and can stop by, do so in the next month or so. Address is 15 Bridge St., Great Barrington MA.

Re: Harland B. Foster Hardware closing this summer. [Re: Dave Shepard] #32145 03/09/14 11:49 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Major bummer. I've taken to buying all sorts of obscure door hardware there lately. I don't know where I'll go now.

Re: Harland B. Foster Hardware closing this summer. [Re: Dave Shepard] #32146 03/09/14 11:55 PM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm still in shock. I wish someone would buy the place and keep it running. There just isn't anywhere around that I know of to take their place, and they are only six miles from me.

Member, Timber Framers Guild

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users